Kid, 11 years old July 23, 2013

AWESOMENESS!

This book is absolutely EXELLENT!! I loved it! I have noticed many people saying its not great, but, this book has good value!! It's a sort of coming of age book with great role models and good humor. Those who say the book is "too gay" or have a problem with those who ARE gay should really keep their mouthes shut. There are gay relationships, but that shouldn't matter much. I think anyone 11+ could read this book. I'm eleven and I loved it! But if eleven doesn't work then you should try 12. Many of the characters are also great. This book is a must read, with great graphics and positive messages! There is no sex but a few kisses between characters (but that's fine) SO I ENCOURAGE YOU TO READ IT!! :)
Kid, 11 years old October 15, 2014

Absolutely Perfect

I wanted to just say that all of you saying things like, "I love Raina's books but the gay stuff made this one terrible" and "This book is SO INNAPROPRIATE because it has GAY PEOPLE IN IT" really need to be more open-minded. Drama not only explores the inner workings of a real production but also gives you an inside look on middle school drama. Being gay is just as okay as being straight, but with all this pressure gay children can't be themselves and often have trouble with that, especially in middle school. I think Raina did a wonderful job portraying that. Callie is spunky and a bit headstrong at times, but puts so much passion into theater that she eventually succeeds. She never gives up on the cannon no matter how difficult it gets, and knows that even though she can't sing doesn't mean she can't follow her dreams. Liz is also an awesome best friend and helps Callie with her problems, but also isn't unrealistically over-the-top caring. Jesse and Justin learn how to embrace their homosexuality, and even though West dates Bonnie, he finally figures out what his heart is really telling him. The only sex in this book goes as far as innocent middle school crushes and concerns--"Does he like me back?" "What if he likes so-and-so instead?" "Will I ever tell him?" All in all, this book is awesome, the graphics are amazing, and it carries a great message about accepting others and sticking to your ideas.
Teen, 13 years old Written byseaotter77 January 4, 2013

Not appropriate

There is a lot of homosexuality mentioned in the book, and I don't think CSM did a good job of mentioning/talking about it. The book is good quality, but it is for an older audience.
Kid, 11 years old January 5, 2014

Misunderstood, Wonderful Story

I purchased this at a bookstore last year. I was sick and read it all in one day! Everyone is getting too riled up about the homosexual characters. I think that, rather than this having the negative sexual message that everyone says, this gives kids and teens with other sexuality acceptance. The characters kiss, but never go too far. Everyone remains fully clothed! It does show two boys kissing once, but they are on stage preforming. Every kid has to learn that people with other sexualities exist. You can't just shelter them forever. It is a great coming of age story with positive messages about sexuality and a fun and interesting theater theme! The fun graphic novel format will delight avid and reluctant readers alike!
Teen, 14 years old Written byBUCKBUCK December 24, 2012

Great

Another great book by Rania. It is an easy read. This book is definatly more girl oreinted and elementarty readers may dislike the crush stuff especially between 2 boys.
Teen, 13 years old Written bykrankri July 27, 2015

Calm yourselves.

Look guys, I keep seeing these people that dislike these openly gay characters and believe that it's harmful for the "innocent" children but face it, there are gay people in the world and it's shameful to think it's taboo or disgusting. There is nothing wrong with a dude kissing a dude or a chick kissing a chick, the story itself is good, and I enjoyed reading it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byRosewaters13 September 12, 2015

To those who think this book is too mature because characters are questioning their sexual preference, I disagree. If a child feels alone this book may help them. I read this when I was a lot younger and I turned out just fine. Yeah, a couple people are gay, and maybe a couple more are bi, but so what.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBetty L. August 31, 2013

AN AWESOME STORY! READ IT!

DRAMA is an awesome graphic novel! I loved it from start to finish! My younger sister also read it, and we both loved it so much! A wonderful, real story that depicts many aspects of being a middle-schooler. A must read for kids twelve and up. I guess it would be fine for younger readers, but kids might not get the same messages and events that take place as older tweens and young teens. GREAT BOOK! A MUST READ!
Teen, 13 years old Written bypuppylove123 October 13, 2013

Learning Process

I think kids eleven and up should read it because, you can't hide everything from kids for a long time and it may be uncomfortable for the parents to talk about it willingly so if a kid had a question about it I think it wouldn't make the topic hard to approach and our world today there's internet and kids eight learn stuff like swearing or drugs or sex. The world is different then when us fourteen olds didn't understand as well. As kids get older I think its a good idea to learn just steps of people liking the same sex as long as it wasn't nude involved.
Teen, 14 years old Written byPookie1562 March 21, 2013

good drama book

I think the book is good to read!
Teen, 14 years old Written bykitty47 June 4, 2015

Good book

Kid, 11 years old March 17, 2013

GREAT BOOK/COMIC

I really love this book/comic. I think it is not inappropriate except for a few kisses.
Teen, 17 years old Written byES9803 May 6, 2015

Very good graphic novel, a little mature

This book is very very good! There is some kissing, but the main plot is about theater. There is one person who is attracted to the same gender, a person who is attracted to both, and two men kiss.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysavanahs May 15, 2015

Drama

Drama was a very interesting book and had lots of drama. I could not put it down ;I love the book. The main theme was I guess drama. That's what the whole book was about. It talk about a girl name Callie who is trying to put together a play and at the same time trying to control her love life issues. I recommend this book to other people mostly girls but other people too.
Kid, 12 years old November 19, 2016

Dumb

I got this book as a joke present for my birthday. A month later I was bored so I just read in a half hour. I didn't like it. The story of the book is dumb. The only thing I like about this book was that I got ideas on how to draw humans better than usual, and that's the only reason why I am giving this two stars instead of one. I could have listened to a full album by Behemoth instead of wasting my time on this. Though for my rating it would be 12+ for some sexual content. I can see why it was a joke present...
Kid, 8 years old December 16, 2016

It is mostly fine

this is pretty good but it has a character that is gay and there is a scene where a boy kisses another boy in theatre but otherwise it is okay
Teen, 13 years old Written byrockyhorrorgeek November 11, 2016

Good to Know

I honestly think it's fine for 9+ kids to know about homosexuality. I found out about it at 8 because i was called gay a lot in school. Callie is a great role model for young girls and boys. As someone who works in theater, it shows how stressful it is. 4TH GRADE+ SHOULD READ IT!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byAlejandro0000000000d September 20, 2016

I liked it

It was nice and helped me come out.
Teen, 13 years old Written byRainaandkaina July 23, 2016

There is some Gay

There is some gay in the book' boys liking other boys. Just a heads up of whats in the book. But it is a really good book. There is some kissing, no swearing. I liked it. Just for your children make sure they are ready for gay.
Teen, 16 years old Written byStg54 July 16, 2016
*DO NOT ALLOW KIDS UNDER THE AGE OF 14 TO READ!!!!* It has SEVERAL kissing parts, and is full of GAY GAY GAY!!! I was HIGHLY disturbed when my 8 YEAR OLD showed me this book, which was in the children's section. Don't poison your kids. DO NOT BUY!