Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Finding Audrey

Charming tale takes on bullying with sweet, light touch.

Adult Written byrebma97 September 12, 2015

Accurate portrayal of anxiety

This book was really good. Audrey's a pretty realistic, relatable character, and for people like me who've dealt with anxiety disorders will be able to relate immensely to the way the author describes her feelings and such. Audrey's family is definitely, unintentionally hilarious, especially the mom. And the romance is sweet. Overall, this is a good YA read; despite being light, it has substance and a solid message. Violence: Audrey was bullied in school, though, from what was explained, there was no physical violence. Sex: Light romance between Audrey and Linus. Language: Strong profanity is used ocassionally; "f--k", "s--t", and the like are used. Drinking/drugs/smoking: The only use I remember was from Audrey's medication.

Adult Written by1NEleven1 August 4, 2015
While I think the reading level is suitable for around 11-12 and up, the language in the story makes me think it would be better suited for adolescents going into high school. The subject matter of mental illness is explained decently well. I also liked that it showed a wide variety of how people might react to Audrey's social anxiety disorder and depression. The author said herself, many children deal with anxiety, and this book is a great way for them to feel heard and understood. It also includes a lot of pop culture references. I read the whole book hoping to find out exactly what traumatic experience Audrey went through that caused her anxiety disorder to worsen so greatly, but it never actually stated what happened. I wish it hadn't hyped it up so much if it wasn't even going to say what it was, so that was a bit of a let down. Not to mention, sometimes the parent's dialogue was a little too silly to be natural, and Linus spoke in a way that was "too perfect" for a normal teenage boy. Overall, though, I think this is a book children would enjoy reading and be able to relate to a lot. The romance in the story is cute and innocent, and age-appropriate. Sometimes things get a bit cheesy, but ultimately, I would recommend it.

Educational Value