Parent reviews for Flying Solo

Flying Solo Poster Image

Heartwarming but Questionable Language

The book has the characters going through different tough life issues. They are honest, personal, and heartwarming in their relationships and growth. As an educator for elementary grades, I do not appreciate the language. Realistic, yes, but not what I would want my students to be influenced by. They are constantly saying "shut up" to each other, call each other names, a character described another character as one who told dirty, nasty jokes, and a character described their situation like an unloaded gun that would end up killing them. There's no swearing in this book, true, but the language used causes it to be not be appropriate to assign to students unless they are in middle school or older.

Character is how you act when nobody's watching

Great book. Gives a great message about character. Also teaches a bit about grieving death. A day in the life of kids with no teacher.

VERY engaging. My students couldn't put it down!

Great book that encourages kids to think about WHY they make the decisions they do. Also addresses taking responsibility for ones actions and how to join together as a force to follow through and determine right from wrong. Also has some situations in which you can talk about peer pressure to do things that you know aren't right.
not rated for age