Kid reviews for Girl Made of Stars

Gripping story of girl's twin brother accused of rape.

Kid, 9 years old March 31, 2020

It was ok

It was ok but really inappropriate. For one thing, Maras brother, Owen rapes her friend Hannah. It is super WRONG. For another, they talk about sex, drugs, alcohol, you name it! They also cuss a lot. It’s a OKAY book but way too inappropriate for kids. It teaches a nice lesson at the end of forgiveness and sorrow. Maybe read it if you are a teen.

Kid, 11 years old March 31, 2020

Inappropriate for young kids but good

I think it is good and tells a good story. It's definitely inappropriate for young kids though. Mara is nice. Owen is kind of annoying and rude IMO. Hannah and Charlie are cool. Alex is very nice.

Teen, 15 years old Written bykatey kat March 1, 2020

So important

I'm so glad this book exists. It hit me like a punch to the gut, which is exactly the point. Stuff like this happens. Kids should know that. I was glad to see this sort of story being written, I was glad to see the feminism and the queer representation, but I thought it was an excellent book regardless. It's angsty and heartfelt and dramatic in all the right ways. It's captivating, and it's such an important message.

Educational Value
Teen, 13 years old Written byLilu02 July 18, 2019

Great intro to mature topics

I agree that is beautifully written and Really liked it. THIS IS A LITTLE LONG SO STICK WITH ME. I rated this book 13+ though I read it when I was 12 (this is definitely the youngest age I would recommend, I tend to read books for my age and one-two years older depending on the topic) I think this book is a great intro to mature topics (Because it is not a graphic) including, rape (was part of the main story plot) sex (never too graphic. the main Character Mara has a make out Session that gets close to sex; top half Nudity, Mara stops other character before anything more then this happens. The rape is told after the fact by a witness, the victim, and the offender Details are spared . The witness sees only from a distance so not too detailed. The victim basically says that the offender was so drunk and just wouldn’t stop. The Victim dose mention they had sex, so does the offender though he swears she wanted to, It is unclear at first if he is Consciously lying or if he was too drunk to remember correctly.
Mara also deals with Trauma from her past. And please keep in mind that it is Totally fine that Mara is bisexual and her (I don’t really know how to phrase this so no offense to anyone) they-friend Charlie who is gender-fluid. Ps I don’t really like how in the summary Charlie is referred to as Mara’s girlfriend when they is not a girl. Also the book lacked they/them References to Charlie Which upset me. There are a lot of great Role models Despite the bad ones.

Educational Value
Teen, 14 years old Written bytrinityln November 22, 2018

An amazing book

I enjoyed this book alot. 13+ is a good age to be allowed to read this because 1st of all, not only does it deal with her sexual assult, but with her best friend being assulted by her twin brother, which is an angle not normally portrayed. Keeping things from you're kids that really happen won't help them in the long run. Let them read, let them learn. It really was an amazing book that was beautifuly written