All parent member reviews for Hatchet

Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written bymcdolins August 2, 2011

Adult issues involved

To be honest, I am disappointed that this book is regarded so highly. Although it is well-written and I am sure that my almost-10-year-old will love the adventure story when his 4th grade class reads it this year, I do not believe that it is appropriate for him to be reading about the character's "secret" - the fact that he knows about his mother's marital infidelity that led to his parents' divorce. This is adult content, not suitable for children of this age. Also, the graphic detail at the beginning of the book (describing how the main character gets stranded) is scary...
Adult Written byRhonda21 April 9, 2008

only for mature readers

I do not recomment this book for children younger than 6th or 7th grade. Content not suitable for young readers: adultery/mother's affair, profanity and use of God's name in vain. My 10 yr old daughter had this book as an assignment and I pulled her out of it. I was appalled her teacher made this a required reading for 4th grade. My daughter hated the part of the book she read and was happy not to have to read it.
Parent Written byUpset Mom October 18, 2011

Too dark.

My sixth grade son was crying and could not sleep after reading about the heart attack details. I'm now reading it too so I can help him with the divorce issues and suicide issues. Aren't there books with good messages that are not so dark?
Parent Written byhudziak July 14, 2011

Hatchet

Brian is a 13-year-old boy whose parents are divorced. He survives a plane crash in the Canadian wilderness en route to visit his father and must use the hatchet his mother once gave him to stay alive.
Adult Written byYo Teach May 18, 2011

Great book, quick read and enjoyable for even middle aged readers.

Great book. Gave it to my students and they didn't want to put it down. My only negative comment would be I had a parent complain about the mention of the main character's mother having an affair with another man. Other than that this is a great book to get students to read.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byPatty101 July 7, 2009

Bad for girly girls

My daughter HATED the book. I think it is great for boys.
Adult Written bywhateverfloats February 1, 2010

Parent Written byL.Arts Teacher March 22, 2012

Must Read for 5th-7th Graders!

Hatchet is an outstanding read. While some book lists have it as a 4th grade read, 5th-8th grade is much more appropriate. The ideas and themes of this book are wonderful for discussion. Brian's struggle with his parents' divorce allows students dealing with the same issues to open up and relate to this difficult subject. I read this book with my 5th graders every year and it is always a favorite of theirs- boys and girls alike!
Adult Written byisathtia August 16, 2011

well try tellin them that they should follow what brian did u kno
Adult Written byjojo619 January 29, 2009

i laughed

i thought it waz boring i guess it i;s realyy if u like to read or not
Adult Written byijad April 9, 2008

I put it down

I put it down once i reqad up to chapter7 because it was SO boring.
Adult Written bymotostar4 April 9, 2008

Awesome

This was a great book. I had to read it in high school and I still remember it if I just read it yesterday. I love action and hunting and this book was full of it. Gary Paulsen is a great author.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bywilymama@yahoo.com August 2, 2014

Hatchet: not appropriate for all ages

I read this book before going to help out in the classroom of my 4th grader. I was completely surprised by the content. There were some great moments in this book where the main character overcomes many obstacles to survive, but those are overshadowed by edgier topics such as "The Secret" which is an affair the mother is having, an attempted suicide and anxiety inducing scenes such as witnessing a heart attack, crashing a plane and experiencing a tornado. I would not recommend this book for 10 year-olds because I do not believe they are ready to process these topics.
Educator and Parent Written bygmargagnoni March 14, 2013

Outstanding book!!!

I would give "Hatchet" by Gary Paulson 5 stars. I enjoyed reading this book, and there wasn't one point where I was bored. It is an awesome book about Brian Robeson, a 13 year old boy who's parents are divorced. Brian is flying to visit his father in Canada, when all of a sudden, the pilot-Jake or Jim or something- has a heart attack while flying the plane. Brian crashes in the wilderness and is forced to survive with nothing but his hatchet in an unknown place (The Canadian wilderness). I enjoyed how there was nonstop action, and that the author uses EXTREMELY great detail. He used excellent words to describe Brian's situation, and I liked looking them up in the dictionary to improve my vocabulary. The only part I didn't like was when Brian attempted suicide, but that is realistic, because someone would probably try to suicide, so I think this book is awesome!! If you like survival/adventure stories, you will LOVE "Hatchet"!!
Parent Written byIconicBoyz January 3, 2012

not good

no this isnot a good story and i just did not like it and it did not have a lot of intrest ing it and a lot of killing ! and animals - you
Parent of a 11 year old Written bybenito jug February 26, 2011

hatchet!

relly good book go brian!