All teen and kid member reviews for Hatchet

Teen, 14 years old Written bykaratedude April 9, 2008

Fast-paced!

I absoulutely LOVE this book, but one of the big issues is the Brian's mother cheated on his father. Brian must kill many things to survive in the wild, there are also a few iffy words used. Brian often thinks of McDonald's, but he is a great role-model! This is a great book for any one ages 9+!
Teen, 16 years old Written byNoseBleed April 26, 2011

I didn't like it but you might! :)

I thought that Hatchet was an okay book. The story line was somewhat boring in places and didn’t have any strong characters. Yes, Brian was there and you got to know him somewhat, but there was no other character interaction. I’m not saying it has to be another person that magically appears in the middle of the wilderness but it would be nice if Brian had a companion of some sort. Also, Hatchet seemed to be written very poorly. Almost every sentence was repeated many times and it annoyed me very much! But I have to say, I did like the fact that I felt like I learned something in the end! If I were stranded in the wilderness I might be able to make it a few days longer with the help of Hatchet! :) To me, the book had no "Inappropriate" things whatsoever. Yeah, he did kill some animals but don't we all eat meat?
Kid, 11 years old May 14, 2011

good book

good book read it for school my fav part is the tornado
Kid, 11 years old October 9, 2010

A repetitive and gross book

This book was intesting at the beggining and the very end, but during the middle it kind of slowed down and got boring, and repetitive. some good words to describe it are eposodic(if that was spelled correctly), repetitive, and repulsive.
Kid, 8 years old March 31, 2012

violent

This book is terrible. I started reading it for school but it was so violent my mom had to call the school and ask them to give me a different book. It has violence so bad I wont even mention what it is.
Teen, 17 years old Written bybeautifulgirl77 September 14, 2010
Kid, 11 years old August 13, 2009
I loved this book, and it's very educational! I read this in 4th grade and our whole class loved it!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byCheechee_Runner December 6, 2015

Boring

I know it's hard to write a book about surviving alone. But this is EXTREMELY boring. I am truly sorry to say that, Paulsen. Talk about getting berries for 4 full pages, seriously? I expect something better than that. I sometimes write short stories, one of them is about survival. I am not saying I can write better than Paulsen, but I think mine is more interesting.
Kid, 8 years old March 4, 2009

sweet

I just loved this book it was so cool. I couldn't stop reading it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byhanniefrannie July 10, 2011

im a good book but not for little kids

well it was the best at pages 1-32 the middle kinda tells how he survives but the end was good,now i think well im 10 and some of the words i couldn't read and it said a couple of bad words so i'd say ages 10-29 anyway it was good and if you read you will enjoy it but once you start you just can't stop (literally) love ya'll bye ps. don't let kids under the age of 10 read it Thank you
Teen, 13 years old Written byda234734 October 1, 2015

Its one of the exciting book i read.

The title of my book is Hatchet by Gary Paulsen, and the genre is Fiction. A thirteen year old, name Brian Robenson is on his way to visit his father in a plane which he is in, suddenly crashes. Now he has to survive in the Canadian wilderness alone . The main character is Brian Robenson he is thirteen years old, his parents are divorce, and he is a very smart kid. Brian had to survive in the Canadian wilderness alone with nothing but a hatchet, that he got from his mom, for his birthday. The problem Brian had is that he had to survive in the wilderness alone, he had to start from scratch, he had to hunt for food, and most importantly he had to stay alive. Yes, Brian went on an adventure, he went on an adventure in the Canadian wilderness. My favorite character is Brian because he survived in the wilderness alone, he is very brave, creative, and smart. I could relate to Brian because i love the wilderness, I am very creative, smart, and i love the out door. I have been in a forest before, i went fishing, made a fire, and i did something creative to make things easier. I felt alone before when i got lost in a big building. I felt scared and lonely. I love this book because the actions and the survival tricks. My favorite part of the story is when Brian was sleeping, and a animal tried to take some food, so he threw his hatchet, but miss and hit a rock and made sparks. My least favorite part is when Brian and his parents are divorce. It must of been hard for him because he is living with out a dad. I would not change anything, the book is great as it is. I would recommended this book to anyone that likes survival, fiction, mystery and the exciting events. People who are very creative, likes the out door, likes to go on adventure, and explore would like this book. I would rate this book a 5/5.
Kid, 11 years old June 20, 2012

*yawn* zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

So boring! We read this as a class, and half the class liked it. I was on the not liking side. The book just didn't interest me.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybradymurray February 2, 2012

MY REVIEW!!!

terrible book. just, terrible

A terrible book

This is the worst book I have ever read in my life. The only reason I read it is because I had to at school for a grade. A lot of people in my age group injoyed it, but i hate it. DON'T READ IT, IT'S A WASTE OF YOUR TIME!!!
Kid, 12 years old July 9, 2013

Bear, BerrIES, Moose, and Mosquitoes! Oh, My! (Not to mention a tornado and a dying pilot) (and a plane crash because of said pilot) (and a near-drowning)

This book is like sushi-you've either never had it, love it, or hate it. Well, it IS hard to visualize the scenery sometimes. And lots of mild violence/suffering. See the title for that. Anyway, I'm in the love it group.
Kid, 11 years old May 26, 2011

SUPERB!!!

Hatchet was great! i read it two years ago in 4th grade, along with Brian's Winter. both great books!!!
Kid, 11 years old April 26, 2011

Really good book!

We read this for school at our Surviour Book club and I thought it wouldn't be the most exciting book. The first few chapters were sort of just intruducing how the book starts.. which is where he's in the plane and I didn't really want to keep reading but I did, and it got REALLY, really good!
Teen, 13 years old Written byninja pizza January 5, 2011
i hate this boooooookkkkk :(((((((((((((((((((((((((
Kid, 11 years old May 5, 2010
Love it!!!!

A very interesting book.

Very Very interesting on how a young boy survives on a island and is first tool was a hatchet. It shows that city people can survive without t.v.