All parent member reviews for How to Eat Fried Worms

Educator and Parent Written bysusielouhoo April 18, 2013

Educational Value and Morals to Find the Courage to Fight

This is from an educational standpoint of view. I read the book in 3rd grade as a class when I was young, and now that I teach we read it together, make our own worms, (sliced hotdogs, cooked) and try several different condiments of our own to eat our "worms" with. We tie it together with a bar graph of what was the favorite condiments from least to greatest on a huge bulletin board outside of the classroom, complete with the students eating the fried "worms"! This is one of the students best memories that have came back later in years to see me and recall the book and the details.
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byKara Gildone May 26, 2009

This book is fun, fun, funny!

Book Review for How To Eat Fried Worms by Thomas Rockwell Reviewed by: Alec Gildone May 27, 2009 How to Eat Fried Worms is a good book and is fun to read. There is a funny part in the book where Tom, Billy, Allen and Joe have a rock war and they were calling each other silly names. My favorite part of the book is when Billy’s friends challenge him to eat fried worms to win a mini bike. It’s my favorite because I like mini bikes and want to get one but my mom won’t let me because she is mean. I think the characters in this book are real people that are just like me and my friends. They bet each other and have wars. The ending was really cool, but I don’t want to give it away. I recommend kids read this book because it is funny and it’s easy for third graders to read, like me.
Educator and Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byKten January 15, 2009

Great for the boys in your life.

Definitely a book about the troubles that boys can get into. I like that the parents stayed out and let the boys figure it out by themselves.Reading how the boys tried to get out of this mess that they created was entertaining and imaginative.
Educator Written byWSD Room14 May 5, 2015

Engaging book -- aligns well with Science units on worm

I used this as a read-aloud in my Gr 2/3 classroom. My students loved it, but I did have to read ahead and alter some of the text to make it more appropriate for this generation.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bySixAkers May 23, 2010

Parental guidance depending on your kids character

Actually just happen to glance over my son's shoulder and see a word the boys use in a fight that I was surprised was there. Talked to him about not using degrading words and bad words, and being careful not to repeat things that me may have read. He said "I know mom, I understand that!" nothing else. He is 9 and digested the book in about a day!
Adult Written bysomkiat March 12, 2009

How to eat fried worms

One day,there were three boys that bet billy to eat fifteen worms. If billy can do it, he will get $50 to buy a minibike from his friends.
Adult Written bymominma April 9, 2008

Fun and fast-paced story

Read it aloud to my 6-year old daughter and 8-year old son. They loved it!