Parent reviews for Hush, Hush

Angel-human romance not nearly as heavenly as the cover.

Adult Written byParentschoices July 26, 2015

Appropriate for teenagers

This is a very imaginative book with a very interesting plot. This does not contain much violence, sex or bad things. This is a very gripping book especially for teenagers. This is a great and amazing book with amazing characters.

Adult Written bygenlayla March 8, 2019

Hush hush is one of the best books I've read!!!

This book is so captivating, i finished the second one in a couple of hours!! A really good story about a dark fantasy romance. It is not confusing in the slightest! Intelligent minds will be able put the pieces of the clues in the story together, which means everyone who can read! Read it fir the first time in my teens, now in my twenties, bought the book set and still read it from time to time! One of my favourites!! <3

Adult Written byTuffins October 17, 2018

My favorite book out of the series

It's great for young adults and teens. I'm 25 and the series is amazing. It pulls you in and keeps you on edge. Highly recommend this series and "black ice" . But black ice is more fore for teens and adults. Read it and you'll understand why. Also, people say that hush,hush is confusing but they haven't been paying attention then. Also, the second book explains it even better.
Adult Written byKNLB September 27, 2020

Had potential—spoiled by toxic relationships

Hush Hush had the ideas for the making of an interesting story ( some intense scenes of questioning reality vs. imagination, some areas of mystery) but spoiled the strong points with extremely toxic relationships not only with the main characters, but supporting characters as well. There is sexual innuendo in nearly every exchange the MC has with supporting characters (sex ed/heart rate monitoring would make way more sense in a health class than biology by the way) and nearly everyone ignores the MC’s concerns over the stalking/harassment behaviors of the lust interest—yes I said lust, not love—and abuse. I’m really surprised this is so popular in the age of #MeToo. I’m sure the author was going for a bad-boy vibe with Patch (sorry, I don’t buy a HS student being allowed to swindle people out of their money/car in what is essentially a bar/pool hall), but refusing to leave someone alone, making suggestive comments, invading privacy, pressing yourself against someone, and physically restraining or blocking someone against their will is abusive behavior (kind of surprised CSM didn’t expound on this in the Sex Category). And don’t get me started on the best friend—who is such a bad influence (practically dreams of hooking up with anything that breathes, calls in fake Bomb, knowingly goes off alone with another abusive character, etc.) and not someone I see the MC realistically being comfortable hanging out with a normal basis. The actual age of the characters vs the age they act/the situations they find themselves in seems geared towards university age.

Read any red-flag list for abusive behavior and you’ll understand why I can’t recommend this book and will not continue the series.

Adult Written bybookcritic1 March 17, 2019

Relatable

I think this book is very good. As I’m reading all these reviews I notice the adult ones are saying they don’t want their kids reading this because it has sexual harassment in it. Well guess what? So does our world. If you read the kids reviews, they talk about how they like the book because they can RELATE to it. I’m 18. According to the law I’m an adult. But I’m still a teenager. I relate to this book. A lot of adults don’t realize what this world is like for kids. My mom always said “I was a kid once too you know.” Well good for her but these are different times and the world is a different place! I get it, your a parent and don’t want your kid to read this book because of what it will expose them to. But before you criticize the author for it, open your eyes and realize what your kids are exposed to everyday.

Adult Written bySarah T. May 5, 2018

Inappropriate

Not recommended for adults, also an horrible influence for impressionable teenagers and I do not say this lightly!
This book is at the reading level is SO NOT APPROPRIATE for a 13-year-old nor an 17 year old because there's themes of sex and violence. This doesn’t teach young girls how to be respected and allow others to take advantage of them. Teaches boys to disrespect girl in all manors. No child nor adult should think this treatment is romantic or appropriate and should be reported to authorities. When a girl says no that means no and to stop, and says she's not gonna do things and proceeds to be liked. And all the other characters encourage this. The main adult in the story the teacher take at sex ed is sexually harassing his students. The so called good friend is a horrible example of a friend and a thief, but is put as a great role model. I don’t recommend this book to read I'm a mom and Grandma and am upset that this is recommended to children of any age.

Adult Written byKatherine M. March 21, 2018

If you are a sheep, don't read!

I think some of the themes discusssed in the series, are questionable for a younger audience. The main male character: Patch is utterly abusive, and rude towards Nora. When I read the series I was offended but it has yet to influence my real life, however if you are someone who is easily influenced I would not recommend this series because it does not encourage the best things.

Adult Written byBo Y. May 8, 2017

Too poorly-written for adults, too bad an influence for impressionable teenagers (and I do not say this lightly)

This book is at the reading level of maybe a 13-year-old; however, it is SO NOT APPROPRIATE for a 13-year-old. Not because there's themes of sex and violence. I don't have any issue with this, really.
The problem is that sexual harassment and generally scary, rape-y behavior is romanticized and normalized. The love interest is TERRIFYING. There's so many times I wanted the protagonist, Nora, to slap him, or just run away, or involve the authorities. But she never does. She blushes and tells him to stop, and says she's not gonna do thing-he-told-her-to-do and then she does it. And all the other characters encourage this. The main adult in the story, the Coach/teacher, strikes me as a pedophile. His take at sex ed is sexually harassing his students. The best friend is a terrible friend, and vapid, and a thief, but is put in a glorified light as well.
I just really needed to rant about this. I'd give this book a 0/5 if I could.

I'm 21. I was a teenaged girl not long ago. This is legitimately toxic literature that will not do anyone any favors.

Parent of a 12-year-old Written byesmed April 11, 2015

hush hush=yes

i think that the age to read this is probably 12 and up, but it depends on the child, if your child likes the whole supernatural, nephilim and fallen angels thing then this is probably for them. There is a bit of violence, but i didnt find it offensive, also you can learn a lot about the nephilim and fallen angels.
Adult Written byabbacus June 8, 2013

Good read, but a bit of a downer....

I liked this book. I didn't like it as much as I was hoping I would, but it was still a very good and fast read. The pacing and characters where very good. The plot was a little predictable for me. I was kind of frustrated at times when reading this. The root of my frustration was mostly Patch's character. He was a little to cocky or closed-off sometimes. He also annoyed me because he spent literally the whole book with a mocking attitude toward the main character, Nora. I think he smiled/grinned more than he actually talked because he seems to find everything amusing. The only thing I didn't like about Nora was the way she thinks sometimes. When weird and scary stuff happens to her she keeps having thoughts that maybe it's just all a coincidence; that only after she meets Patch did this start happening. She kept that up pretty much until the end of the book. I wanted to yell at her that, no, at this point in the book it is most decidedly NOT coincidence. Anyway, I think the fact that this is the authors first book definitely shows a little bit throughout the story. There are a few aspects of the book that I thought where lacking originality, but for the most part a very solid book for a first-time author. I'll give it a generous 4 stars out of 5 stars. I would recommend it!

Adult Written byquilter517 April 14, 2012

a wild fanasy that will keep you guessing

Very good book as well as the next 3 in the saga. Nora (the main character) is drawn to this boy, Patch, and gets sucked up into his life of craziness. Patch often gambles and goes to bars and plays pool. There are fights between Patch and other characters in the book as well. And also, Nora and Patch get together. There is not that much kissing and making out in thsi book as there are in the sequels.

Adult Written bywordslikesilver July 3, 2011

Action, Romance, Tension - A Read for the Reluctant

Although there is sexual content and violence scattered throughout the book, it is not enforced. The violence and sexual content is used to back up the fact that it is a thriller and to entice fans of Twilight and such dark-romance titles.
I recommend this to reluctant readers looking for a book filled with action, romance, and intrigue. Tension pumps the entire time and leaves the reader on the edge of their seat.

I honestly don't think that this is bad for a teenager. No doubt about it, they will be intrigued by the series and it might get them more enthusiastic about reading, which is what every parent wants to see. The religious aspect will educate them and provides a rich backstory for the novel.

Alluring and textured, this novel will be sure to stun teenage readers and leave them searching for the sequel (Crescendo).

Also, it's a beautiful cover and NOT like Twilight.

Adult Written byBookFaerie April 15, 2011
i heard about this book from my cousin, and i thought it was GREAT! its the perfect blend of mystery, fantasy, and romance
Parent of a 17-year-old Written bykici November 22, 2010

tweens

Adult Written byXPURPLElemonadex August 14, 2010

A nice break from vampires...

I really adore this book. Its one of the few that I can read cover to cover then turn back to the first page and start all over again and still be completely engrossed by the characters and the plot.
It doesn't have the best role models in the world, with one of the characters being a fallen angel and one of many planning to kill Norah, but its nor influential in any way. The only other notable thing is that the fact that Vee, Norah's best friend is dieting throughout the book, albeit badly, but dieting nonetheless.
Parent of a 4, 6, 10, and 14-year-old Written byMichelle the Li... July 14, 2010

Parent of a 17-year-old Written bycindia July 3, 2010
I love this book it was wonderful. It was awsome how they fell in love and there are some naughty things in there.

Parent of a 2 and 3-year-old Written byreadresponsibly June 4, 2010

Clever but too much Bad Boy

It looks like a lot of the teen reviewers liked this book. I thought it was clever, and although I didn't care too much for Nora, she redeemed herself in the end. However, I believe this book promotes that 'bad boy' trend that is happening in the young adult world. Patch doesn't treat Nora well. He's just mean, yet she keeps after him.