Parent reviews for I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Poster Image

I think should these things in the world good for 11 year olds

Assigned for school reading DO NOT READ

Sexual content. Should not be an assigned reading for students. There are other readings that can be used to explore the poetic writing and reflections that would not involve students reading through sex scenes and abuse. Tell your school teacher your child won't be reading it and ask for an alternative.

Not Quite Appropriate

My 14 year old son read the synopsis of the book and is choosing not to read it yet. He is very modest and doesn't feel it is appropriate to read about the sexual encounter and molestation that she goes through. Again, his choice. I didn't read it until I was in college and was disturbed by the encounter she was put through. Wonderful civil rights book. Her writing is vivid.
There are some heavy subjects brought up in this book that are not appropriate for a high -school reader. There is a graphic rape scene among other issues.

Great read

I believe with all the prejudice still in the world I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings should be a required reading assignment for $th grade and up. And a paper should be written.

An adult book

The book features details about the rape of an 8 year old girl by her stepfather, tween sex between and 11 year old and a 14 year old, pages of the author questioning her sexuality as a 16 year old, deciding to get herself a man to prove she wasn't a lesbian, and getting pregnant from that one afternoon union. The tone is somewhat detached. The book also features descriptions of budding female genitalia. Although a biography which might lend insight into racial discrimination, other books convey the same message without the disturbing sexual situations.