Kid reviews for I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Poster Image

Amassing book but only suitable for older and mature children

Very Educational and Amazing if you can handle it

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings is a fantastic message to teenagers and adults. The discussion of prejudice and oppression stands out. Now that by itself would drive some parents away from the book, but it is written in a graceful manner that develops young adults. Be aware this book contains a rape scene and a teenage sex scene. Teenagers should only be allowed to read this book if they can develop ideas and message outside of the story and do not need the meaning written down. Maturity is necessary to read and fully comprehend why and what is going on in the story. Some adults cannot do this so be sure your child can. Lastly, I would consider asking your child if they think thy can handle this book responsibly. Although this book touches some sensitive spots, it is a great educational read everyone needs to read.

I think this book was ok I read it for school, it was a pretty hard and boring book to read. But, it did have some really good points when I enjoyed the book. There was a lot of mature topics that a middle school student shouldn’t be reading, I think it’s defiently a high school kind of book

One of my Favorites!

I get that parents can be a little skeptical about this memoir at first, that’s obviously a parents natural instinct, to protect their child about books that deal with themes like this. But listen, I’m a 13 year old girl who struggles with self-love and acceptance sometimes. And this book was a godsend for me. The poetic language Maya speaks is on a whole other level than any other poet or author. She tells a story with her words, and doesn’t intend on wasting them. But if you don’t let them read it now, please let your children read it later when they are more mature and ready for the issues that this book deals with. Telling it like it is, is something Maya can do effortlessly. And if you let your child read this, they will thank you later on. Trust me.

It's Great!

I think this is a really good book. It's eye opening. I recommend it.

Exceptional writing, but mature themes

This book has a unique and uplifting tone with an amazing story being told through it , however it does feature rape as a main point in the book. I think, however, that this is actually a very important topic for people in their teens to read about, because many people at my school joke about rape when it is clearly a horrendous and immature topic to joke about. This book provides a truthful view on many issues including rape that raise awareness for subjects that require but are often not given the empathy they deserve. Another topic addressed by this book is racism, and the author's portrayal of such is both heart wrenching and empowering. Overall, this book is humbling to read, and it demands maturity, or instills it.

BORING AND SLOW!

i am reading this for school and i am NOT enjoying this one bit. i do like the story and the message but this book is so freaking slow and boring its hard to read it and not fall asleep. I need something to happen other just talking about the store all the time and life. when something else happens i may reconsider liking this.

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Review

This book stars a poetic woman who from earlier in her life goes through various hardships, but manages to come through a triumphant woman we know and love today. I believe this book not only shows and tells valid points that we can learn from but it can inspire many people who may go through the same problems.

I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings

I think that it is a very sad but an excellent book written

For School

I read this story for school and I find some parts real nice and others downright boring, If it wasn't for school I think I would have quit about midway, but later on I seriously started to like parts of this book. I think it is a honest book about true stuff happening, without the sugar-coating and it doesn't sound like those speeches people come to you and say, so it's sorta refreshing. All in all, try reading a chapter and if you don't like it, it's cool.