All parent member reviews for Identical

Parent Written bykmcampbell08 January 19, 2011

One of my favorite books..

Ellen Hopkins is one of my favorite authors. She deals with real issues, even if they aren't warm and fuzzy. Her books are realistic and informative for teens. Parents, if you're worried about your child reading this book, don't be. I recommend you read it first and then discuss it with your child along the way. It's a great way to open up a discourse with your child about difficult topics. Sheltering your child is never healthy, and whether you realize it or not, your child already knows more than you think about these issues. Afterall, just because your child reads about the inappropriate things that take place in this book, doesn't mean that they are going to go out and immitate them.
Adult Written byCoffeeTable June 7, 2010

Inapropriate for under 15

I personally enjoyed it. A big plot twister on the end which i got, but one of my students (grade 12) who read it did not. It is true to Ellen Hopkins’ other books which if you have read, will understand but not one of the first of hers I would recommend to someone who has never read her content. (First suggestion would be Crank) The interest between the main character and her father is somewhat disturbing but not described in Detail. And having the main character at the age of 17 I would only suggest to kids that age and older to read this book if certain content makes them uncomfortable. There is Major drug use that gets progressively worse but the experience from them is not described in detail, just the feelings and the after-effects. Sex is exchanged and bullying from other peers is instigated. Over all, I thought it was great after having read the whole thing, but parts and passages are not for the young or someone who has not read this type of book before at all.
Parent of a 16 year old Written bys.diotte February 23, 2010

An interesting read, but for older teenagers.

It was a good read, but not a very good example of how to handle difficult situations such as abuse. Also doesn't show negative side of drug and alcohol abuse.
Educator Written bycanagaalex July 26, 2016

Socially Enlightening

Ellen Hopkins craftes gritty, above par, novels on what life is like for a sick percentage of pre teens, teenagers and young adults. The mature content is presented in a very elegant way and it shines light on the problems many face. Identical faces the problems of "identity" and what it means to be solely unique. Just as "Crank" and "Glass" reveal how drugs can turn even a straight A "good girl" into an addict; and "Fallout" discusses the impact of her choices on her children. Beautifully crafted books I would recommend to anyone of age to fully understand the subject matter.
Parent Written byalissa436 February 23, 2012

Mrs.Willy This is what i THink

The book Identical is one of the best books I have ever read. It has two main characters that always bring your attention back to the book plus more. It’s separated into two points of view and keeps grabbing your attention. This is my favorite book out of all of Ellen Hopkins others she wrote. I would defiantly recommend it to anyone. Everything that happens in this book is grip taking and I just couldn’t put it down. There are so many shocking things that happen that all adds up in the end. I would for sure give Ellen Hopkins Five gold starts on this book. It has a huge twist at the end that will shock you and keep you wanting more. This book was so amazingly awesome and I think I’m even going to go home and read it again. I will probably go buy it tonight after work.
Parent Written byGaga Fan September 6, 2011

Proceed with caution, but what an ending!

I've read Ellen Hopkins along with my 15 year old and her style is gripping. This book, however, is way disturbing and quite depressing. You have to be able to "suspend belief" and remember, it's only a story. Yes, I know there are people like that out there, but hopefully they are the exception...I would prefer my daughter had waited until she was older to read this, but I also don't approve of censoring reading material. Graphic visuals are a different story. If you or you child are easily depressed, do NOT read this, even though the surprise ending is a huge payoff!
Adult Written byJulieKay April 25, 2011
ADORE IT. This book was beyond hard to read discutsting, disturbed and almost regretful. But it was so discriptive in a beautfiul way. You must aknowlage the amazing story line and ingenious ending as well as Ellen Hopkins enticing dialouge. I'm 15 and I have read most of Ellen Hopkins' books. (Crank, Glass, Burned, Impulse.) And this is very heart wrenching if you are a sensitive reader. I'd advise you read the other books if so.^^(Ones listed.) This was one of the best books I have read in a while. Not only is this book well written, it teaches lessons. I have learned so many lessons just from reading about them, as if I had experienced them my self.
Parent of a 13, 14, 15, 16, and 17 year old Written byquinna.winna@gm... October 17, 2010

not good at all for anyone. even adults.

wayyy way too heady for our family. too serious and i dont see anything good out of it. i don't even want to read it.
Adult Written bypagxuremodiha September 3, 2010
this book is not for children
Adult Written byfresa April 21, 2010
most kids know everything by age 14 this book is apropiatefor for them and up
Adult Written bysmnicole93 March 19, 2010

iffy even for 14

it's a very good book, if you trust your child, sometimes it gets somewhat detailed about certain situations. if your child is 14 or under i suggest the best way to find out if you child should read THIS book is to read it for yourself.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byQueenNisey August 27, 2009

A good read for an dult or mature teen, but some teens not so much

I really enjoyed this book, myself. But I do admit that certain parts were unsettling. I do think that it is appropriate for some 14 year olds, but for others it may be too much due to drugs, sex, and abuse.
Adult Written bytwistofcain August 20, 2009
this is a great book about very real things. i see it a positive message because i think readers wouldn't want there life to be like this.
Adult Written byXxImaMonsterxX July 29, 2009

mature readers only

yeah i loved this book and i read it and im 11 yet im mature and i read at 10th grade. and i absolutley loved it