All parent member reviews for Inkheart

Adult Written byHeroneSilverton April 9, 2008

enthralling.

This is a very good book, though I wouldn't exactly call it a "children's book". I'd be more entitled to call it a "preteen book." The villains are actually evil, which isn't very common in "children's books" but the book is easy to read and would be suitable for anyone 10 and up. There are uses of damn and hell, and also bloody. There is much violence inplied: ("I'll cut out your tongue!" says Basta frequently) but little of it actually happens. As is said above, the main character is in a lot of danger most of the time, as are her acquaintances. The main character is a great role-model because she is very brave, and I believe this book teaches a whole lot more respect for books, and it may inspire kids to read more, especially the books mentioned in the story. There is a tremendous amount of imagery, but I enjoyed it a whole lot, the slow pace doesn't make the book difficult to pay attention to at all... on the contrary. Ten and up should definitely give this book a try, along with Funke's other great book, 'the Thief Lord.' The kids that I have known to read this book has also developed a larger lust of reading than most kids, because it describes books so well. There is also a good relationship between the main character and her father. It's pretty hard to be dissapointed in this book. One of the reviews on the book cover say that it's a good Harry Potter alternative. I don't agree that it's an alternative, but I do agree that you should read them both, because they are both most definitely worth reading.
Educator and Parent of a 11 year old Written byMovieMama April 9, 2008

Vocabulary good...mostly

I have read reviews of this book complaining of its verbosity, but it isn't a bad thing —in a fast world— for kids to have to wait for the story to unfold. The richness of the imagery and language is also a positive. Until we got to the part where she felt compelled to include "swear" words; it's almost gratuitous. I don't believe that they are necessary and is in fact a bad idea in a book aimed at preteens. I prefer my children to develop their vocabularies in other ways before learning to add the, shall we say, more colorful choices.
Parent Written bytreat02 February 17, 2012

very good

i think that this is a little violent but nothing ib this is bad. the book is rich with adventure and postive things (in most parts) but i really liked it.
Parent of a 11, 11, 11, and 11 year old Written byJazjazzjazyye May 9, 2011

Best book i have read in years

I love this book wheni read it i loved it so i bought a copy for each of my daughter (4 copies) and all my daughter loved it i got it for them when it firsst came out because i bought it and read it in 4 days as soon as i was done i went to barns and noble to buy copies for all my daughters and since all of them love reading they finished in 5 or 6 days this is the best book i have ever read and cant wait to finish indeath (already finished inspell) =) my daughters i think were 4 5 or 6 id i dont keep track and i let my little cuzin emma read it at 3 it took her a while to read it but she understood it perfectly i read it to her to bed
Adult Written bynutmeg_7 July 19, 2009

A Definite Read

One of my favorite books; great to read over and over. I read a chapter to a 3rd grade class and they loved it. Great fantasy and truly explores the boundaries of your imagination
Adult Written bymugglemama January 28, 2009

Boring, with no clear setting

We are nearly done with this book. I am reading it to 2 of my children. We are homeschoolers, and often read a novel before going to see the corresponding movie. My 10 year old son loves the story so far, and my 7 year old seems slightly less enthralled, although she is enjoying it. I myself am bored stiff. My biggest complaint is that there is no clear setting...we have no idea what year it is, or even what country the story began in (I'm assuming Germany because the author is German?). The setting that is painted seems to be of an earlier time period, but then there are elements like cell phones and airplanes, so we understand it must be modern times, however it's very difficult to reconcile the two seemingly opposing settings. We're going to finish it (read: get it over with), and go see the movie tomorrow. Which I am hoping, like Prince Caspian, proves to be better than the book.
Parent of a 5, 9, 11, and 14 year old Written byJamesRobertson January 4, 2009
Adult Written byAmythist April 9, 2008

Must read if you're into fantasy

this book was absolutely incredible. It's a "don't ever put me down until your done reading... and then read again!" kind of book. You'll be enthralled by all of the detail Funke put into the pages. And Meggie's definatley a good character if you love to read. She shares my passion for sure.
Adult Written byMamaJamie April 9, 2008

Adult Written bygbeb April 9, 2008

Adult Written byDREYERWA April 9, 2008

Cornelia Funke the new JK Rowlings!

A mythical wonder! Unforgettable characters. If you can read then this should be at the top of your "must read list". Young & Old will be hooked. This book became my 10 yr old daughter favorite book that was until Cornelia came out with the sequel "Inkspell".
Adult Written bywaheguru April 9, 2008

Adult Written byiamseadreamin April 9, 2008

Awesome

I thought this book was really good. I think it should tell a little bit more about Capricorn's village because I couldn't really picture it based on their description. Other than that, it was a really good book. Kids my age (10) and up who like Harry Potter books or similar will enjoy this book!
Adult Written byPotionMaster April 9, 2008

Parent of a 12 year old Written byTsion April 9, 2008

Fun, Magical Book!

This book is magical fun! It is somewhat violent, but more is hinted at than acted on. It has a very suspenseful conclusion, and a scarred, insane villain that some kids may find disturbing. Overall, good for not-so-sensitive kids.