Kid reviews for Legendary: Caraval, Book 2

Dramatic magical romance sequel has daring female hero.

Based on 1 review

Teen, 13 years old Written byGwen904 October 22, 2018

Fiery but disappointing sequel

Legendary is quite different from its predecessor Caraval. It's from Tella's perspective, which means the romance factor is upped and the passionate kisses are also numerous. Tella's narrative is a bit impulsive and silly, and she's less nice than her sister Scarlett. The plot is predictable and overwritten, and there are a few surprising editing errors. Tella does things so stupid that I'm screaming at the book for her to stop. Annnnnndd…
Dante is a jerk.
Jacks is a jerk.
Can't there be a main boy character who isn't a jerk?
However, despite its flaws, this sequel is magical and engaging and interesting (I liked the idea of the Fates trapped in the cards), and I was rooting for Tella at the end. I really loved Caraval. But Legendary carves a path that isn't quite so… Legendary, you could say (see what I did there??)
Parents will have a lot to be concerned about, including several detailed and intense descriptions of passionate kisses. Tella also drinks and gets hungover even though she's only 17.

Kid, 10 years old July 21, 2018

Even better than the first

I think this book is better than the first, and that's not something I was expecting. But Stephanie Garber adds even more twists and turns, and keeps the story very intense but not too violent. It was delightful to read about Caraval once again, to read about the characters' journeys as they explore the game and as Tella tries to win so she can find her mother. You will find yourself eagerly turning the pages of this thick novel toward a spectacular ending. Mild spoiler: you also find out who Legend truly is at the end of the book. This book did have some violence, sexual content, and some drinking, as well as a couple "dirty he--s" and bas--rd said a couple times by Tella, but not anything someone who is at least eleven couldn't handle. I loved this book and am hoping that there will be a book three!