All parent member reviews for Little Brother

Adult Written bygbeb March 24, 2011

Great Story. Lots to discuss. But, deal killers for our tween.

I loved this book. Doctorow creates a first person narrator whom I wanted to see succeed. But, he is seriously flawed. Doctorow clearly appreciates the complexity involved in standing up for what you believe. Sadly, he seems to imply that those who don't foersee the consequences of their actions are the only ones who will do so. I wanted both my kids to read this. It's perfect for my 15 y.o. son. But, the few pages of a naked teen couple would have made my 11 y.o. uncomfortable (the writing and the pacing were perfect for him). While there was little and light drinking, I was surprised at the ease of access to it. Some might be disturbed at the violence. I don't believe my kids would be.
Adult Written bymoviemadness April 9, 2008

Brilliant Teen Book!

This book is a fascinating look at the world of technology. The book is set in modern America, but the DHS has taken over. People's rights are being compromised for "the good of the republic." A group of teens use technology to regain their freedom. There is some bad language, several violent or scary scenes, and some sexual content. The complicated plot of the book and some of the more mature references make this a better bet for teens 15+.
Parent of a 14 year old Written byGiniaGin March 16, 2011

I loved this book it was hard to put it down I would encourage all people 12+ to read it........and im 44 years old
Parent of a 2 and 7 year old Written byjandrewworld March 29, 2011

A how to book for sticking it to the man.

This is a complex book. First of all, if parents are looking at this book, they need to be aware of the the two scenes where the main character has sex and fools around. It is written very naturally and realistically but it isn't full of details or going into consequences. This book is about questioning authority. This shows it as a positive thing. The book was written as an outsider to the George W. Bush administration (The author is a Canadian ex-pat living in England.) He has created a hero who is a 16 year-old boy who is sent to a gitmo-esque prison and tortured. This leads him on a path of vengeance and in the end...well lets just say, it shows the consequence of being a rebel. I would recommend that a parent read this book with or before your child does so you can talk about the difference of being right and still being incorrect.
Parent of a 9, 13, and 16 year old Written byBooktress October 1, 2009

Parent of a 5, 9, 11, and 14 year old Written byJamesRobertson January 4, 2009

Parent of a 11, 15, and 18 year old Written byJulieKryger1970 January 5, 2009

Adult Written byGaleStorm March 14, 2012

Smart roller-coaster of a teen read

Very well written dystopian fiction, with strong, smart characters and a great storyline. I throughly enjoyed this read. However, one sex scene and multiple makeout scenes make this book somewhat intense for less mature readers.