All parent member reviews for Little Women

Adult Written byMomOfaReader August 9, 2009

Wonderful Role Model for Girls!

My eight-year-old daughter loved this book and would act out scenes, with her dolls acting as the March sisters. She especially identified with Jo and enjoyed comparing herself to her. It was good for her to see how Jo's temper got her into trouble sometimes and how Jo handled that. I especially appreciated how the March girls modeled love and respect for one's parents! I highly recommend this book.
Parent of a 14 year old Written byTsion August 6, 2009

Wonderful, Positive, and Moving Read for Any Age or Gender...

Parents need to know that this book is a must-read for everyone. It is a very historical look on life during the Civil War, and all characters are great role models. Honesty, love, kindness, and tolerance pervade the book. Though the title is LITTLE WOMEN, the book is written equally for both sexes, and has plenty of material to please both boys and girls of any age.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 July 6, 2012

little women

Families can talk about the emphasis on "housewifely" duties for women. How are opportunities and expectations different/similar for women today? Would kids have liked living during the 1860s and '70s? Why or why not? The type of clothes and objects the girls desire are different than today, but can kids see similarities in their own lives? What lessons about consumerism do the girls learn? The writing style is more didactic than most literature written for children today. The author also breaks in with first-person comments. What do readers think of this style? How does it compare to contemporary novels?
Adult Written bySarahMadison January 19, 2011

I loved Little Women by Louisa May Alcott! It is such a great story about family and friends, and an especially great read for girls. I am in High school and I love it. I could see younger girls reading it, as long as they can understand the kind of formal and kind of slang dialect. The relationship between Teddy and Jo and the other sisters is the best, because you can see their friendship blossom and how close they are throughout the entire book. Although their dad goes off to fight in the war, there are no battle scenes. Readers will fall in love with the March family.
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byhannahrose April 28, 2011

One of my Favorites

I totally disagree with CommenSense review that says this book has out-dated gender roles. The March family had an incredibly forward-thinking view on the roles of women for that time. They were very progressive. Not that I am a feminist, or that the book spends any amount of time on the subject. Guess you'll just have to read it for yourselves!