Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Lord of the Flies

Gripping story of marooned schoolboys and their savagery.

Adult Written bybooklover29730 December 18, 2013

Great Read

Great book and an easy read. I finished the book in four days. Welcome to a world where kids are stranded on an Island. Meet Jack, Ralph, Roger, Piggy, and Samneric. These characters will captivate you and also break your heart!

Adult Written byabbacus September 9, 2016

Not for everyone, but understandably a Classic.

I am personally not a big fan of this book. I think it is an interesting book to think about and discuss, but there wasn't a whole lot to keep me invested in the story. Great concept, decent execution, pretty dry writing. It didn't end where I thought (and hoped) it was going to. I also recommend NOT listening to it on audiobook because William Goulding's voice will drive you nuts!

Adult Written bynoonelikesbooks February 18, 2019
the book is so bloated with unnecessary words and words that dont make any sense. for example ' a cracked twig and what might be the impression of one side of a hoof. He lowered his chin and stared at the traces as though he would force them to speak to him. Then dog-like, uncomfortably on all fours yet unheeding his discomfort, he stole forward five yards and stopped. Here was loop of creeper with a tendril pendant from a node. The tendril was polished on the underside' its too bloated and is not worthwhile for todays kids to read