All parent member reviews for Maniac Magee

worst book ever

worst book ever
Parent of a 10 and 11 year old Written bylitmom123 January 28, 2011

Perfect book

Could possibly be the closest thing to the perfect child's novel, ever. Jeffrey if forced to run away from the worst kind of unfeeling people this world produces and goes on the search to find a family who will love him for who he is. Jeffrey Magee is naive, loving, kind and completely without the traditional social barriers that we force on our children. His baths with the Beale children are wonderfully innocent and without need of judgement. What he suffers for the sake of the McNab children is what I want my children to see as being a good and decent human being. From his relationship with Mars Bar and the Beales, to his time spent with Greyson, right down to his dedication to the McNab children, I can't think of a better role model than Jeffrey Magee.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byNK17 March 7, 2013

I just really think it is kind of racist and druggy

most "violence" is not graphically described but the language and drugs set me off, it is OK for pre-teens but the 8-9 Yr old's should definitely read w/ parents, there are phrases like "dammit" "h^nky" "fish belly" and even one "ni--er" kids drinking and smoking is also vile and disgusting the character Jeffery (Maniac) seems like a decent character and a good role model but i really hate the McNab's and Mars Bar is a stereotype supporting blacks are always "in your face" i am from the UK and now live in Ireland and there isn't much about my race, but i have alot of black friends who would be very offended it is just amazingly uninteresting, I always never really liked Jerry Spinelly
Adult Written byno racism April 1, 2012

no racism

it is the lamest story ever they shoulnd't write storys with racism cause black children willcget offended
Parent Written byADRIAN SAWH January 2, 2012

Thrilling

I think manic magee is a nice childrens book and very edicational at the end the blacks and the whites were all working together.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bybestcatcher November 5, 2010

Maniac Magee is a good book.

Hi!!!!!
Parent of a 12 year old Written bymariam omar October 19, 2010

my kid love maniac magee evey day atfer school her will read maniac magee i thank that maniac magee is a good book
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written bytbl September 13, 2010

My son was assigned this book for school. I enjoyed it, but believe it to be a bit much for a 9 y.o. even one in the advanced class. Just "heavy" subject matter. Although he enjoyed it, he said. It wouldn't have been one that I would have chosen for him; maybe in a couple of years.
Adult Written bykellyd923 April 9, 2008

Great book - real life issues kids may relate to

I do agree that racial divide, violence, and misbehavior such as drinking and swearing are addressed in this book, but I think the way those things are addressed are done well. The entire book is not filled with it, it is done tastefully and truthfully. For those people who want to protect their children from these issues, I say don't. Address them. This book deals with real life and may help your child cope with issues you may not even realize they have. It is a must read, and you and your child will be missing out on a really great book if you don't pick it up! Maniac is a hero in his own right despite all his setbacks, it is truly inspiring!
Adult Written bylexa April 9, 2008

I personally found the book offensive for its crude language and disturbing imagery. In addition to the above, I thought the episode describing 11-year old Magee taking baths with the young Beale children (pg. 48), was weird and inappropriate. I also did not appreciate the comparison between "trash talk and church" (pg. 55). Overall, I thought the protagonist Magee was a morally questionable role model. Though he ran away and rejected school, there were never any consequences to these poor choices; if anything, his runaway life is glamorized and Magee is portrayed only as a hero. Conservative parents, beware! I know this book is considered a literary gem, but I didn't think it was appropriate for my child.
Parent of a 5 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 April 6, 2012

maniac magee

waste of time
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written bykansasfarmmom October 15, 2011

Great book but heavy issues

My son and I read this book together and I was glad we did because he was confused by the East/black and West/White issues. He has been raise without rasism and to treat everyone equally so realizing that the world wasn't always like that and not everyone feels that way was emotionally diffcult for me to explain to him. In a perfect world maybe my son would never need to know how ignorant people are and use to be. It was hard for me to watch this door open in his mind. It was a very good book and Maniac Magee is a true hero.
Parent Written bytheawesomeamaya August 23, 2011

Maniac Magee REVIEW

Its not that much drinking,drugs,smoking,or bad language but i would not let a child under 10 to read it. And if they are 10 and under you would have to probably explain the concept of racism and dirty talk to them.
Educator and Parent of a 9 year old Written bydrjones March 28, 2011

Funny and Supplementary

I liked this book because of Maniac’s great attitude. Reading this book is also a good way to introduce, reinforce or supplement how different races lived and interacted before the Civil Rights Movement. At the same time it is a humorous story.
Adult Written byemikamc April 9, 2008

a must read book for every kid ages 10-12

this is a very good book.nice 5th grade book to start with.it doesnt matter about violence,language(just so its not too bad), or how much humor is in it....it matters if your child thinks its intersting and will really read it.
Adult Written bystamfordgenius April 9, 2008