Parent of a 10 and 11 year old Written bylitmom123 January 28, 2011

Perfect book

Could possibly be the closest thing to the perfect child's novel, ever. Jeffrey if forced to run away from the worst kind of unfeeling people this world produces and goes on the search to find a family who will love him for who he is. Jeffrey Magee is naive, loving, kind and completely without the traditional social barriers that we force on our children. His baths with the Beale children are wonderfully innocent and without need of judgement. What he suffers for the sake of the McNab children is what I want my children to see as being a good and decent human being. From his relationship with Mars Bar and the Beales, to his time spent with Greyson, right down to his dedication to the McNab children, I can't think of a better role model than Jeffrey Magee.
Adult Written bydd2400 April 9, 2008

worst book ever

worst book ever
Adult Written byno racism April 1, 2012

no racism

it is the lamest story ever they shoulnd't write storys with racism cause black children willcget offended
Parent of a 2 year old Written byNK17 March 7, 2013

I just really think it is kind of racist and druggy

most "violence" is not graphically described but the language and drugs set me off, it is OK for pre-teens but the 8-9 Yr old's should definitely read w/ parents, there are phrases like "dammit" "h^nky" "fish belly" and even one "ni--er" kids drinking and smoking is also vile and disgusting the character Jeffery (Maniac) seems like a decent character and a good role model but i really hate the McNab's and Mars Bar is a stereotype supporting blacks are always "in your face" i am from the UK and now live in Ireland and there isn't much about my race, but i have alot of black friends who would be very offended it is just amazingly uninteresting, I always never really liked Jerry Spinelly
Adult Written bylexa April 9, 2008
I personally found the book offensive for its crude language and disturbing imagery. In addition to the above, I thought the episode describing 11-year old Magee taking baths with the young Beale children (pg. 48), was weird and inappropriate. I also did not appreciate the comparison between "trash talk and church" (pg. 55). Overall, I thought the protagonist Magee was a morally questionable role model. Though he ran away and rejected school, there were never any consequences to these poor choices; if anything, his runaway life is glamorized and Magee is portrayed only as a hero. Conservative parents, beware! I know this book is considered a literary gem, but I didn't think it was appropriate for my child.
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written bytbl September 13, 2010
My son was assigned this book for school. I enjoyed it, but believe it to be a bit much for a 9 y.o. even one in the advanced class. Just "heavy" subject matter. Although he enjoyed it, he said. It wouldn't have been one that I would have chosen for him; maybe in a couple of years.
Parent Written byADRIAN SAWH January 2, 2012

Thrilling

I think manic magee is a nice childrens book and very edicational at the end the blacks and the whites were all working together.
Adult Written byphillipc February 12, 2016

Exiting book

This book tells you about a kid that wanders off to the african american side of their state and learns how to be part of them
Educator and Parent Written bynikkyreyes February 1, 2016
Parent of a 11 year old Written bybestcatcher November 5, 2010

Maniac Magee is a good book.

Hi!!!!!
Parent of a 12 year old Written bymariam omar October 19, 2010
my kid love maniac magee evey day atfer school her will read maniac magee i thank that maniac magee is a good book
Adult Written bykellyd923 April 9, 2008

Great book - real life issues kids may relate to

I do agree that racial divide, violence, and misbehavior such as drinking and swearing are addressed in this book, but I think the way those things are addressed are done well. The entire book is not filled with it, it is done tastefully and truthfully. For those people who want to protect their children from these issues, I say don't. Address them. This book deals with real life and may help your child cope with issues you may not even realize they have. It is a must read, and you and your child will be missing out on a really great book if you don't pick it up! Maniac is a hero in his own right despite all his setbacks, it is truly inspiring!
Parent Written byHunter67 April 21, 2016

Horrible

What this book could do to your child's sub conscience is horrible- it deals heavily with segregation, death, and unfounded fears. Find a better book for your child to read don't waste your time here!
Adult Written byjoslynmartinez March 1, 2016

book review

The book i was reading was Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli. This book is about a boy named Jeffrey but they called him maniac magee cause he didn't have a home so he would sleep in different places.Jeffery didn't have a home because his parents died.Then one day a girl named Amanda [who was african american] ran into maniac magee on her way to school.They talked and the Amanda gave him one of her books so he can read it.Soon after that they became friends and amanda allowed him to live at her house.Maniac was a good house guest he cleaned the house and took Amanda's little brothers showers even though they hated showers.The main characters in this story are the following: Maniac Magee,Amanda,Amanda's mom,Mars Bars,and John Mcnab.I believe Maniac Magee had some obstacles in his life.Some of Maniacs obstacles was to overcome fear and he shouldn't care about his color.I think Maniac Magee got over these obstacles by showing people that it shouldn't matter what color they are they still are all people and they can all get along.I think the author was trying to get me to understand that it shouldn't matter what color u are because we are all the same people.Also we have many obstacles and fears in life and that we shouldn't be scared or run away from our problems.I think Maniac had many adventures because he has been sleeping place to place cause he didn't have a home to stay in. I can relate to Maniac Magee because he had to step out of his comfort zone to show people what skills he has.I felt what Maniac Magee felt,he felt brave.A time i felt brave was when i became friends with a girl that was new to our school i also helped her find her classes.I related to Maniac Magee because he was brave when he asked amanda for one of her books even though he barely met her that day. In my opinion this was a good book to read i'm glad i took 30 minutes out of my day to read this book.My favorite part of the book is when Amanda took in Maniac Magee when he didn’t have a home to stay in.This was my favorite part because it shows that Amanda is there for Maniac when he needs her.It also proves that she is a really good friend.My favorite character was Amanda.She was my favorite because she was being a really good friend to Maniac because she gave him a house to live in and not only was she a fiend she was also family.i didnt like when they were calling Maniac Magee names just cause he was white.If i could change something in th book i would change the bullying and make them all friends. I would recommend this book to others.I Recommend this book to others because this book was a really good book and i think anyone will like i and be interested.Any type of person should read this book because a lot of people might like it unless u dont like to read then you should read this book.

Maniac Magee

Period:1 Book Review Maniac Magee Maniac Magee was only 3 years old when his parents got killed in a tragic trolley high speed accident. When his parents died he went to his Aunt Dot and Uncle Dan to live but until he was tired of this aunt and uncle not talking to each other. They went to church but Aunt Dot sat in one bench and Uncle Dan sat in the other. So by that time he ran away and never knew he was going to get to Two Mills which is a little town divided into two directions the East End and the West End. When he got to Two Mills which he never knew it was a town named like that he meet a girl named Amanda Beale and her suitcase of books. Maniac goes back and forth between the East and West End, making a few friends, but mostly enemies, and for some reason never really noticing that the West End is entirely white and the East End is entirely black. When the Beales realizes that Maniac is homeless, they take him in as a member of their family. Life is great for a while, but eventually the East Enders start getting him down. See, not everyone loves the idea of a white kid living with a black family in a black neighborhood. So Maniac (after a quick detour solving Cobble's Knot) takes off. Until the Beales family meets a person name Grayson he was like a father to Maniac until he learned how to read and read stories to Maniac. They celebrate Chrismas and Thanks giving together until something happened Grayson dies and Maniac stays alone again. While he walks miles and miles and founds this two little brothers named Piper and Russell but he never knew that John Mcnab the giant is there brother. Giant Mcnab thought that Maniac had kidnapped his brother but he never did. He just wanted revenge. Maniac was living with baby buffalo and his mom but suddenly Frenemy Mars Bar Thompson and his adopted sister Amanda Beales find him and take him back home and Amanda had told “ that’s right home you need a home.’’ Maniac had found what he wanted.
Adult Written byjessicajlom1 October 29, 2015

Maniac magee

I think this book is amazing. This book has many great events in it as you read it.This book has a lot of the need of being accepted and being able to fit in. This book is about a kid who is tired of living with his aunt and uncle after his dramatic experience he had. He then appears after 1 year of going missing. He comes across the town where his parents died. He is in search for a new family and home.
Parent of a 4 and 8 year old Written bysjjess June 26, 2015

Beautiful

I think that this story is harder on adults than children--most children's stories contrive a way to isolate the protagonist child so that he or she can go off and have an adventure. Here, Maniac's parents die before you or he get to know them, and then he stays with relatives in an unhappy-sounding marriage. But then he leaves! I think for adults it is hard to manage the amount of trust he is putting in strangers in order to survive and how alone in the world this boy is--what a sad life he has had! But for kids: thank heavens he got away from his weird relatives (like any fairy tale or Roald Dahl book). He's great--he can take care of himself, he runs fast, he catches footballs, he hits baseballs, he reads, he is so open to the world. The whole story, which is set somewhat in the past (but not that far), is set up about the myth of Maniac told later. It describes his time in the town as though the story has been passed down by folks in the town and perhaps exaggerated. He appears to be a bit of a superhero, a bit alien, and so his outsider perspective and total confusion regarding the white-side-of-town/black-side-of-town is a great way for kids reading it to consider the topics. It *is* confusing and should not be taken as a matter of course. But it is not, by any stretch, the only thing going on in the story, so it is really a brilliant tale in many ways. As a parent, I just ached for poor Maniac, alone in this world, so trusting, loving and open. I worried about choices he was making and was so proud of his mench-like qualities. But my son, while he certainly learned some valuable things, enjoyed a page-turner about a cool kid who was able to make a difference in a small town.
Parent of a 5 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 April 6, 2012

maniac magee

waste of time
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written bykansasfarmmom October 15, 2011

Great book but heavy issues

My son and I read this book together and I was glad we did because he was confused by the East/black and West/White issues. He has been raise without rasism and to treat everyone equally so realizing that the world wasn't always like that and not everyone feels that way was emotionally diffcult for me to explain to him. In a perfect world maybe my son would never need to know how ignorant people are and use to be. It was hard for me to watch this door open in his mind. It was a very good book and Maniac Magee is a true hero.
Parent Written bytheawesomeamaya August 23, 2011

Maniac Magee REVIEW

Its not that much drinking,drugs,smoking,or bad language but i would not let a child under 10 to read it. And if they are 10 and under you would have to probably explain the concept of racism and dirty talk to them.