A lot or a little?
The parents' guide to what's in this book.
What parents need to know
- Parents say
- Kids say
What's the story?
Is it any good?
Talk to your kids about ...
- Families can talk about Max's mix of honesty and deceit. He avoids outright lies yet isn't fully honest. Is the distinction important? Is he justifying immoral behavior, or is he doing the right thing?
Absent parents are a common theme in children's stories. Why do you think this is?
Max dons disguises and adopts the mannerisms of theatrical characters when he's on the job. How does this help him?
- Author: Cynthia Voigt
- Illustrator: Iacopo Bruno
- Genre: Mystery
- Topics: Adventures, Great Boy Role Models
- Book type: Fiction
- Publisher: Random House Children's Books
- Publication date: September 10, 2013
- Publisher's recommended age(s): 8 - 12
- Number of pages: 400
- Available on: Nook, Audiobook (unabridged), Hardback, iBooks, Kindle
Themes & Topics
Browse titles with similar subject matter.
For kids who love mystery and adventure
Our editors recommend
Top advice and articles
Common Sense Media's unbiased ratings are created by expert reviewers and aren't influenced by the product's creators or by any of our funders, affiliates, or partners.