Parent and Kid Reviews on

Monster: Gone, Book 7 Poster Image
Our Review

Based on 5 kid reviews

Sort by:

Way to ruin a good series

(Why does this include my thing in the parent category? I clicked kids) Gone and subsequent novels in the first line had a perfect blend of great characters. All walks of life were shown and were represented in a way that felt natural. The original series had a brilliant amount of diversity and didn't feel the need to shove it in your face. This book however, did none of that. The character of Cruz was completely flat and alternated between talking about their gender identity and how much they admired the main character. I never really got any real indication of a personality for this character beyond these two points. Let me add that this character is often in the spotlight for many chapters. Adding onto that two very strong characters from the original series appear. I won't spoil one of them (They haven't had too much negative change but they felt a little unnecessary to include) but the other is Dekka. Dekka was one of the top characters in the original series and a fan favorite for many. However instead of developing over the entire four year period after the last book Dekka's entire character has actually weakened. Dekka constantly refers to her affection towards her old friend Brianna who had died years prior (This is given a lot of emphasis as it seems to now be a big part of her character). This attachment is even referenced as a little creepy given the fact that she is "obsessed" with a 12 year old girl. The author also makes her angry simply when she is touched by a guy as a way of saying "Hey did I mention I was a lesbian again?". Said guy has to be refereed to as a "Tall white boy" twice because apparently that's the only thing the author could refer to him as. The one thing the book does get right that I have to give it credit for is it's brilliant descriptions of scenery at the beginning of certain chapters although it's not my cup of tea the author did a really nice job at setting scenes. The port of Los Angeles is given a very thorough amount of detail that helps the reader see a clearer picture for what comes. Nearly every vehicle is given a model and a brand. So many types of food and drink are given specific names I'd almost be inclined to think that the story was advertising.
1 person found this helpful.

Tried so Hard.

I absolutely adore the Gone series. It has great characters, buildup and story. However, I didn't get the same vibe that I got from The Gone Series. The general story was good, but getting a bit old at this point, having been completely exhausted by The Gone Series. While I understand that it's important to have representation in novels and film, I feel as if this book focused much too heavily on the politics side (eg, referencing the fact that one character is a 'white male' ridiculously often, along with gender, race, and sexuality being referenced almost every page) I love the way that Dekka's character in Gone was used. There was a strong black character, that just happened to be a lesbian. It worked, because it was integrated properly into the story, whereas this book felt like it was only written to be as 'woke' as possible.
1 person found this helpful.

great book

great book just as good as the other gone books. just be warned there is a fair amount of cursing. more than expected.

Not for the light hearted

this book is not as bad as the other books. Dont let that fool you.This book has lots of profanity, mild sexual content, including transgender jokes and whatnot. There is mild drug use.Storywise, it is a fast book with many thrills.If you are mature enough, I reccomend reading the return of Gone.FYI: this is book 7.

What can I say...

I love this book. Michael Grant is by far my favourite author. I emailed him and he RESPONDED the next day. He writes good sci-fi quite violent with some gore. It’s an amazing series and he’s a great author