Kid reviews for Monument 14

Suspenseful survival story will grip teen readers.

Kid, 12 years old January 31, 2013

Some awkward moments, unbelievable plot, excessively short

The book includes lots of references to specific products, such as Mc Donalds, Wendies, Mtn Dew, ect. It also has some awkward moments involving "second base", as well as lots of drug use and violence. There are moderate amounts of curses, but the worst are bleeped out. The book seems like it was written by a 7th grader, and not in a good way. Ridiculous plot at times, and a sub-par ending.

Kid, 12 years old April 23, 2014

Monument 14 (Maybe next time you can use less inappropriate material Emmy...hmm??? ;-;)

I loved all the action and suspense of the book...but...there was ALOT of unneeded violence, drinking/drugs, swearing, and sexual references (and also some consumerism, but that doesn't really bother most people...). Parents~ If you think that your child isn't mature enough to read some scenes you can always just white out inappropriate scene (it's what my reading teacher did when she loaned me her copy of Monument 14). Hope I helped (^,-,^)

Teen, 13 years old Written byQuatravious August 28, 2015

Great distopian Book

I know you think this book is really inappropriate, but the truth is that any mature 12 year old can handle it. I know some parents aren't comfortable with there kids reading cuss words but the truth is the words my parents would be uncomfortable with me reading are blocked out like this F_______k or something like that. I am gonna warn you now there are some sex seems that are pretty graphic but at age 12 you should be mature enough to handle it hope I could help!
Teen, 13 years old Written byMarty.Pink.Lady March 17, 2014

THE BEST BOOK EVER!!!

This was a really good book, its defiantly one of the best dystopian books I've ever read. Its fast paced, and keeps you entertained the entire time:) the only bad thing might be because two of the boys take advantage of the free drugs and alcohol in the store, so they get drunk and stoned... but other than that its a great book

Teen, 13 years old Written bypeppermintpatty24 September 25, 2016

I loved this book, but it included scenes that were uncomfortable and/or inappropriate.

This book is one of the best I've read all year. Monument 14 has a captivating, witty plot that had me up all night, dying to know what was to come. Many of the characters are outstanding role models (I found Josie, Niko, and Alex to be the greatest) and there are several beneficial lessons taught. However, there were quite a few scenes that wouldn't necessarily be suitable for anybody under the age of thirteen. I was wary doing my summer book report on this book, but ended up doing just that nonetheless by excluded certain information. I feel that this book would have been better off without or with a limited amount of the scenes that were uncomfortable to read. But then again, I can't really expect less from a book with high schoolers. All in all, I give it a 4/5.

Teen, 14 years old Written byshoward14 February 17, 2016

Good Book

This is an excellent book, though not for kids under 13. There are some scenes with nudity and sexuality. There is also drug reference, violence, and swearing. Don't take this review as a negative, though. The main character, Dean, is a great role model for young adults. I loved this book and almost everybody in my grade seems to like it too. I had to wait two months to get the third book in this series. Other characters along with Dean are great role models, too. THese characters include Josie, Nico, Alex, and Astrid. If you haven't read this book and are looking for a book to read this is it.

Teen, 13 years old Written byhahasoccer February 26, 2015

Innapropriate

The book was one of the worst books I've read, yet I couldn't stop reading it. There is a lot of violence and kissing and things things like that. Spoiler: One man gets killed by a kid while he is trying to kill them. Don't read this book!

Kid, 12 years old December 16, 2012

Great Read

I just finished this book in two days. It gripped me from the beginning all the way to the last page. When I finished it, i thought " When is the next one coming out" Too bad it's in 2013. Anyways, there isn't much swearing ( the more explicit language is written like F---!) there are many positive role models and it has a certain element to the plot that leaves you thinking. Great read. Can't wait for the next one!

Educational Value
Teen, 13 years old Written byElisekarenrasmussen November 4, 2016

Awesome, then not some....

I loved this book. it would have been one of my fave but then some really big sexual encounters happen and it ruins the whole book. This seems to be more appropriate for an older audience.

Teen, 13 years old Written byecli September 20, 2016

great storie real inapropriet

good book really bad

Teen, 13 years old Written bymeismedha October 20, 2017

One of My Favorite Books

I'm not entirely sure why I like this book so much. I think it might be how realistic this book is. Emmy Laybourne paints such a beautiful and realistic picture of something that could actually happen. The characters are developed brilliantly; by the end of this book I felt like I could understand each one. I like how it was an ensemble book, it focused on all fourteen kids. Each character was very deep, and as a reader, I could understand why someone did something. This book also gives examples of what to do and what not to do as a person, because each character kind of finds their true selves through the course of this story. There was some use of drugs, alcohol, sex, and language. However, the drugs and alcohol are portrayed negatively, so it isn't really suggesting anything. The sex mainly only comes up in one scene and it isn't very detailed. An character also gets pregnant. There are a few curse words thrown in to the dialogue, but the worst words at bleeped out.

Teen, 13 years old Written byyosoif October 19, 2018

There is no good time to read this book.

This book is written for a fifth grader with the subject content for teens. Reading this book is extremely unsatisfying. Those who would appreciate the literary content are too young to understand or be exposed the actual content of this book. In summary, at no age is this a good book to read.

Teen, 15 years old Written byariel12345678 July 22, 2018
I am 15 now and read this book at age 11-12. I loved the book and to this day it is one of my favourites. It has a few mild alchohol and drug use scenes but apart from that I would definitely recommend this book. the book does contain a near rape incident involving a 14 year old girl and a man but it only describes hearing her calling at and the other kids finding them before anything actually takes place. this book is a dystopian book so it can be gruesome at times but overall an amazing book!
Teen, 15 years old Written bybiovox14 August 17, 2017

violent but fantastic book

Well this is a great series, but definitely not advisable for 13 and up. Older teens only. Theres some graphic sexual reference, scenes, so on, and they definitely are not appropriate for younger teens, nor could they understand it to its full extent. Drug content is also graphic, but not bothersome. Very violent/graphic description of death, murder, so on. Some language, but about 6 f words.