Kid reviews for Olive's Ocean

Gentle, moving coming-of-age story.

Kid, 12 years old March 24, 2010
I read the book in 7th grade and it is a very interesting book. It deals with things we are going through as young teens. Martha is like any other 12 year old girl who goes through the same things we do: relationships, family hatred, friendships, betrayal, and love. I recommend this to any person who is going trough any of these difficulties.

Teen, 13 years old Written bywondergal November 16, 2008

Missing something, but it was good anyway.

It was a really good book and i liked it a lot. Even so, i felt like i wanted to know more about Olive and more on the relationship between Tate and Martha. It was kinda sad in many ways (olive's death, martha wasnt friends with olive, martha wastes her fist kiss, martha was used, she left before tate and her could have a relationship, she didnt give olive's mom the water...) well. yah. BUT HEY IT WAS A GOOD BOOK ANYWAY!
Kid, 12 years old September 20, 2011

A wonderful must read book.

Well I think this book is a good book. I'm 12 and I read this book for a book project in school and in the book they barley mention sex or kissing, It all happens in one sentence. There is no violence in this book and there are many good messages in this book.

Teen, 14 years old Written bydana m. April 9, 2008

A powerful, emotional masterpiece

When I picked up this book at the bookstore, I intended to read the first couple of pages to see if I wanted to get it. I couldn't stop. I finished it right then and there. And still, I am haunted by the emotional power that Kevin Henkes (author) displays in his writing. Many books these days are about abnormal children. This books was not. Martha (main character) is totally, completely normal and I liked that. I would suggest this book to any preteen or teen that is ready for an emotional whollop and powerful, beautiful read.
Teen, 15 years old Written byallimarie94 April 29, 2010

perfect for kids starting junior high

i loved it...im a freshman and i had to pick a book at our school library...i thought "okay cool title ill get it i guess." after i read it though it was the best...deffinately not what i thought it would be...it was soo much better. i am so greatful that my teacher had me pick out a book to read

Teen, 15 years old Written bybig booty girl May 3, 2011
i like it . Its a very intresting story nothing bad really

Kid, 12 years old March 8, 2011

very chill book

I loved this book. The plot is easy to follow, and the characters are written in a way that you can relate to one, if not all, of them. This novel gives a positive message about a girl who was always nice to another (late) girl in her class, and that it made her day. It's very important for us to take in account this novel, and think, maybe just maybe, if we exchange a smile or some kind words, we might make someone else's day... maybe even their life. The strongest word this book uses is the S word. There's not a lot of romance, and what is there isn't overwhelming. Overall, a great read for people of all ages! (:

Teen, 14 years old Written byharrypottergirl February 7, 2011
I loved this book. I also think that the sex is not as big an issue as they make it seem. Martha's older brother just mentioned once that her parents had sex earlier.And the kiss is not described.

Teen, 13 years old Written byalissa_morgan February 23, 2009

A must read for 5th grade and up!

Well written, the more you read the harder it is to put it back down. Very heartwarming and eye-opening. Life, Death, Romance, and life changing experiences all take place in this one book.
Kid, 11 years old April 28, 2009

It is a great book

I forgot my book in my class so I was finding a review online.
Teen, 17 years old Written byTouchingSweetly October 28, 2011

Love,& Death

It touches those hearts whose lost someone and give a clue on how the healing process worked for Martha

Teen, 15 years old Written byTeen_Reviewer October 6, 2010

Perfect for Tweens and up

I absolutely love this book! The content is wonderful and I feel there are lessons that can be learned from this book.

Kid, 11 years old April 26, 2013

Really Good Book

It was really good. There was one part in the book that got on my nerves, but it ended quickly, and some people might like it. The book was really good, though! I finished it in two days!

A MUST READ BOOK. {ages 10 and up}

I loved this book. I could read it a again, again, but unfortinaly it was a libray book so I had to take it back. I even let my mom read some of it a within a couple of chapters, she was love'n it !
Teen, 14 years old Written byoliverfan06 April 9, 2008
Teen, 13 years old Written byMendezzy April 9, 2008

This is a must read kind of book. My favorite.

Amazing!

This book made me realize some new things in life. That sometimes you have to work to get what you want. And that not all things in life are understood. I have to say, this is the best book I have ever read. READ IT!
Teen, 13 years old Written bylaxxQT103 April 9, 2008
OMG i ♥ this book so effin much!! I love the part with Jimmy and Martha because its so cute! This book has tears, drama, Romance, and more!! you would really like this book cause I sure do!!