All parent member reviews for Once Upon a Marigold

Parent Written byAnimalFarm August 23, 2011

Dull, boring and unexciting.

This book is dull, boring and unexciting. It was one of three choices of compulsory summer reading for 7th graders, and while it was the lesser of the three evils, still it's not a very good book. It's lackluster, the characters are extremely superficial, you never really find out why the main character ran away from home at 6 years old, other than he said he didn't like rules... The dialogue between characters lacks depth, it's especially corny between Christian and Marigold. A 7-year old might find it somewhat appealing, but for a 7th grader it's very dull. If the purpose of making kids read is to teach them to love to read, this book definitely achieves the opposite.
Educator and Parent of a 10 year old Written byTheQuietestQuill November 10, 2015

My daughter didn't want to stop reading!

We chose Once Upon A Marigold as part of our fifth grade curriculum because it sounded fun and has won several awards and we haven't been disappointed. The book is full of quirky characters set in a fantasy world of trolls, centaurs, the Tooth Fairy, and royalty. There are many opportunities for new vocabulary words to be learned while kids are being entertained. "One more chapter, please?" has been repeated frequently as we read together. We'll be buying the sequels to read as well.