Kid reviews for Orbiting Jupiter

Devastating, deeply moving story of love and resilience.

Teen, 13 years old Written byisa.josephin.english April 18, 2016

The Best Book I Ever Read!

Orbiting Jupiter is told by Jack, however, the story focuses more on Joseph. Joseph is 14 and he has a daughter named Jupiter, whom Joseph is searching for. The story takes place around a year AFTER Jupiter was born, and in one part tells the story of Joseph's relationship with Jupiter's mother. It is VERY VERY not descriptive of sexual relations. In fact, it may even leave some readers in the dark by how nondescriptive it is. It literally says "and they went back inside under the red woolen blanket." That's all. Joseph's father is, however, a violent character. There is a scene where a gun is involved, but not fired. There is a fight scene that is not very descriptive, and only somewhat violent. Jack, particularly, is a great role model. He sticks with Joseph through hard times until the end, and is a very determined character. Joseph is determined to find his daughter Jupiter as well, and Joseph waiting for Jupiter is described by Jack as "he stood there as if he would wait until the world ended, which he probably would." It is TRAGIC and HEART-BREAKING. It was the first book that actually made me cry. Throughout the whole story, my eyes watered, but I didn't really cry until I read the last two chapters. As for swearing, the only swear I remember is "hell," and it was only used once or twice. I read Orbiting Jupiter in one sitting, for about two hours. I could NOT put it down. I am happy to say it was the best book I've ever read in my entire lifetime.

Kid, 12 years old May 31, 2016

I loved this book!

This book was so good. The writing was really good and the story engaging. There is next to no language in this book, hell is used once or twice. A man who smells "sick sweet of drink" threatens people with a gun and hold a young boy at gunpoint, which might scare younger readers. There are 3 bullies that attack Joseph. Again, one man who is drunk threatens people and a 14 year old boy is given "something bad," later described as 2 pills. These pills cause him to almost kill a teacher. This same boy has a scar down his side where he fell and cut himself on razor wire. Two characters die in a car accident. There is very little discription dispite the fact that one character is a father a 14. This book was the first book to make me cry that much in a long time!

Teen, 14 years old Written bykayleenalexa November 9, 2016

The Best Book I've Ever Read!

As a teen myself, I believe this book is the best book for teens of 2016. This book has an amazing message! I recommend it for teens 13+. It is a must read. Its a great book for book clubs and such! If you love intense, nail-biting books this is the RIGHT one for you! It is a touching book, GO AND READ IT!!!! !Warning: This book has lots of swearing so, 13+!

Teen, 13 years old Written byjoebob September 4, 2016
Kid, 12 years old July 22, 2016

Story of the love in a family

This book shows the influence of love. The character Joseph has some issues that you need to have some maturity to understand, with his dad, and his daughter. There are a few swear words.

Kid, 12 years old July 28, 2017

Well written, but not for young age!!

I loved this book so much, but it was a little too short. I read Orbiting Jupiter for school, and I'm glad I did! There is teen pregnancy, but they don't go into details. Joseph is given 2 pills at school that cause him to attempt to kill a teacher, but not a huge part of the story. His father gets drunk and points a gun at Jack, but he doesn't shoot. I loved this book so ugh, and you should read it too!

Teen, 13 years old Written byMMHAUS01 June 2, 2017

Heart Warming...

This book is amazing. I had to read it for a summer project and I read it in two days. You or your child will not want to pick this book down. This is a great story about second chances and family.

Teen, 13 years old Written bygrimsby1 March 22, 2017

Probably the saddest book I've ever read (in a good way).

I loved this book so much. Every child should read it if they are looking for an easy, quick read.

Kid, 11 years old March 2, 2017

Read This Book

This book is the best book I've read in a long time. I won't spoil it, but I almost cried. Just from reading the description on the inside, you know that this book has some big issues discussed. Joseph becomes a father in eighth grade in a relationship that is secretive. But, there's nothing graphic at all, he just talks about their memories. Jack is a great role model for kids. He is very loyal to Joseph after he comes to stay with them and he even endangers himself for him. There is some violence and bad words, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. This book teaches great lessons and has made an impact on everyone I know who's read it.

Teen, 13 years old Written byak2017 December 14, 2016

You can't put it down!!!

Schmidt hit a home run with this book. Orbiting Jupiter hits a tough spot for teens that isn’t talked about much in books. Jackson Hurd is anticipating the arrival of Joseph, a foster kid two years his senior. At first Joseph bottles-up all of his emotions and sorrows, the Hurds find out that Joseph has been through a great deal. He is the father of a little girl that he has never met, isn’t able see the mother of his little girl, and was the target of abuse. Joseph finds comfort through Jack, and of course Rosie, one of the Hurd’s cows. Joseph also excels in certain subjects, and he grows very close to those teachers through his time at Eastham Middle School. Schmidt incorporated Lucas Swieteck from Okay For Now as Joseph and Jack’s gym teacher whom they call Coach Swieteck. Schmidt made the characters very easy to relate to, even if you haven’t experienced what they have. He also made the characters easy to visualize as you are reading. Orbiting Jupiter focuses on how Joseph was at rock bottom and found friends to build him back up again. Schmidt included compelling plot changes when you are least expecting it. I loved Orbiting Jupiter, I couldn’t put it down. This book is first-rate for Middle School students that want a satisfying but profound read. Schmidt wrote this book with a similar plot to the Wednesday Wars, Trouble, and Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy, two of which have won the Newbery Medal. It isn’t feasible to put it down. Horn Book wrote "The ending is bittersweet but as satisfying as a two-box-of-tissues tearjerker can possibly be (in the realm of juvenile fiction, Schmidt is the master of the emotional gut-punch)." Horn Book describes Schmidt’s writing incredibly well. After you read this compelling tear-jerker you won’t forget it quickly. “I heard my father holler, “NO!” And then again, “NO!” That’s all I needed.” Read Orbiting Jupiter to find out what Jack’s father was yelling about. You won’t regret it!

Teen, 13 years old Written byBMXKID December 20, 2018

best book ever

this book was filled was so much juicy and heart filled moments. i was crying and i hope you will like the book to.

Teen, 16 years old Written byBrigidArmbrust December 17, 2018
Teen, 14 years old Written byK M October 12, 2018

Teen, 13 years old Written byautumncat100 September 3, 2018

Great book

I read this book about a week ago, and I really enjoyed it. It took me about 3 hours to read, since it was a pretty thin and easy book. It was a great book for mature middle schoolers and up. The 14 year old in the book does have a daughter and was incarcerated in the past, but it was overall a heartwarming book. I would definitely recommend this book if your looking for a quick read.

Teen, 15 years old Written byLeileranne August 11, 2018

Book Full Of Emotion

Personally, this book reached down in me to a level of emotion that I thought books could not accomplish. Towards the end I had to lay the book down and just cry (I’m not a cryer by any means) but I bawled. Gary allows you to build a bond with Joseph from Jacks perspective, and it is beautiful yet heartbreaking as you go on this journey to find Jupiter. I started reading Orbiting Jupiter this morning and finished it earlier today, I couldn’t put it down! I recommend this to every kid who thinks that they have life figured out because this book makes you take a second and observe your life, it gives you a chance to be thankful for what you have.

Teen, 13 years old Written bygatorstyle July 5, 2018

Mature issues only for mature kids

I personally read this alongside a few friends at school at the beginning of the year, right after turning 12. I really like how the author made the main character, Joseph, a teen dad because It really added to the plot near the end of the story when he goes missing and is out lookin for his daughter on the streets. It’d really adds depth to the character when the narrator (Jack) included the detail about every time he smiles. SPOILER: When he dies from his abusive father going off the bridge it really made me feel more for him knowing how much he just wanted to be with Jupiter (his daughter), and did everything he could possibly do to give her the life she deserves. END OF SPOILER Overall, I really enjoyed this book because of the plots and once I picked it up the morning I checked it out of the library I was hooked and read the whole thing my the next night. Side note: you’re probably wondering why I put 13+ even though I’m only 12; because I know I thought the plot was a little bit intense for younger teens/ tweens. I would recommend this book to any mature 7th or 8th grader.

Teen, 13 years old Written bysilversides May 30, 2018

Top 5 books I have read

It has some dark content that you have to be ready to deal with. The gym teacher and Joseph's foster parents are good role models.

Teen, 13 years old Written bykenna92504 May 3, 2018