All parent member reviews for Out of the Dust

Educator and Parent Written bymegaritzmom February 6, 2013

NOT for Children or Anyone who is Depressed

This is absolutely NOT for children under 14, and even then, great discretion should be used. No one, not even an adult, should be required to read this book. Anybody who is even slightly depressed has no business reading it. The book is incredibly depressing, the wounds of mother and daughter after a fire are graphically described in literally nauseating detail, and the literary merits of the book are questionable in spite of its Newbery Award. The ending is contrived. A new woman in the dad's life cannot possibly fix all that is wrong with this family as the author implies. The dad goes on a drinking binge while the mom lies dying, hardly acceptable material for young readers. The girl runs away; again, not acceptable for young readers. Everywhere the girl turns, she is haunted by the memory of her dead mother and brother, whom she accidentally killed. My 4th-grade son said that if he accidentally killed me like Billie Jo killed her mother in the book, he would kill himself. Besides making him think about suicide, this book has given him nightmares for over a week, every night since they started reading it in class and got to the part where the fire occurred, and he now refuses to go to sleep alone.
Adult Written bydylandog July 8, 2010

Read Out Of The Dust!!

This book was amazing it really inspired me. I think this book is a great read because the story is well written and the plot is very simple it's not like the Da Vinchi Code. Karen Hesse is such a great author. YOU SHOULD READ THIS BOOK
Parent Written byhobotoboyobo II July 29, 2012

No 1 review person

This book was very very bad. I had no idea what the story was about. I wouldnt recommend it to adults or kids cos its very horrible and it gave me nightmares
Adult Written byhobotoboyobo July 25, 2012

Reviewing person

Inappropriate for people under the age of 18
Parent Written byLela_Dorsey_01 December 7, 2011

Good book, but too descriptive on some parts

First I would like to say it was a great piece of work from Hesse. But, this book should not be read by young children. My eleven year old daughter came to me asking why a baby died in her book and also if it hurts to be caught on fire. This clearly disturbed her and it also made me uneasy about letting my daughter continue reading this book. Know your child or students before you allow them to read this. The scenes where it speaks about her mother being in pain from her burns are detailed and made my daughter put the book down. Be cautious with this book.
Educator and Parent Written bymomfizz February 2, 2015

I agree not for kids or anyone depressed!!!!

If you are NOT depressed (plus have time to mourn because you will become so) and can read through the selections and find the ones about the dust storms, FINE! Copy them or read them to class; but please don't just give the whole book to a class of kids to process on their own!! Anyone younger that 12 will struggle with fear and anxiety that this produces. Anyone between 13 and 20 will be struggling enough to process the emotions coming in at them from every angle. There is no sense adding a book with an accident that is far from happening in the average "dust bowl family" and totally unnecessary to understand the Depression or the Dust bowl.