All teen and kid member reviews for Out of the Dust

Teen, 13 years old Written by018 April 9, 2008

What's Great?........ This book

I loved all the drama in this book I think it really explains what it would be like back in that time. I though there was alot of drama in the book.I think the Dad of Billie Joe is the one who creats the most drama well he is drinking after the mother and son died. I feel that towns people also blame Billie Joe for poring the oil on the mother when she made a simple mistake. I was sad when Billie Joe ran away but somehow I knew she was going to go back because she couldn't just leave her fater there by himself. In the end everything turns out ok and that's what make's this book so speacial to me I mean that's why I read it every year now.
Teen, 14 years old Written byweisman3 May 17, 2011

91/2+

I loved this book, it was great. But it has a difficult story to tell. It is most because it is in the time of the great depuration and the dust bowl. I loved this story and it is a great story for anyone that loves historical fiction and over the ages of 9 1/2+. Remember that it has a difficult story to tell and a little violence. Do not let children under 7 read this story it is not the best for them.
Teen, 13 years old Written byEvent Horizon November 13, 2010

Makes Where the Red Fern Grows feel like a comedy

Nothing wrong with it when it appropriatness-wise, besides a WOMAN CAUGHT ON FIRE. Okay, that's out of the way. Everything wrong with it story-wise, entertainment-wise, and readability-wise. It bored me to tears, except in the graphic burning part, where I cried for eternity. The poems are hard to understand, and her plight never feels horrible, considering that I hate piano with my heart and soul. The ending feels wrong, as does this book as a whole. I hate it hate it hate it. Ranks up there with Ender's Game and Christmas Carol on overatedness. Avoid at all costs.
Kid, 10 years old February 19, 2009

Out of the Dust

The book Out of the Dust is about a girl living durring the Great depression. Unfortunatly, She lives in Oaklahoma,smack dab in the middle of the Dust bowl. Billie Jo (the main character) is pretty lonely being an only child. Though her mom is expecting a baby. The only thing that keeps Billie Jo from feeling alone is playing the piano. Then one day Billie Jo's dad acsidentally leaves a bucket of kerosene by the stove. Billie Jo's mom mistakes it for water and pours it on the stove. It catches on fire she tries to though it out the door, but it hits he mom instead!her mom gets badly burnt and so are Billie Jo's Hands. Will she ever play piano again?
Teen, 13 years old Written bywondergirl_is_back April 9, 2008

made my class sick

this is not a good book. not for young children!
Teen, 16 years old Written byTheLittleMermaid August 3, 2013

Give it a shot before saying no

I read this book myself when I was just about 9 and I absolutely loved it! I have been searching for it for a long time because I forgot the name and I am glad I found it. I think the most violent part is the woman on fire but besides that it's good and it definitely kept me interested until the end.
Kid, 11 years old May 17, 2011
i loved this book because it tells a good story about the dust storms. also it has an accent that makes the book sound more realistic. i also liked that it was very discriptive on what was happening during dust storms and how hard it was to live in the dust book. i really liked the lined that billy jo used alot "i want to get out, out of the dust."
Kid, 11 years old May 17, 2011

terrible does not make sense

This book is incompident and weird because it is a joke for the actual dust bowl survivers.
Teen, 17 years old Written byReanRossier April 21, 2010

GREAT

I love this movie. I spent 2 hours reading this book. This book is about a girl named Billie Joe and the book is about her hard and harsh life in the dust storms in Oaklahoma. Karen Hesse ( the author) writes a great story about a young girl. This book will make you want to read it agian and agian

I Loved This!!!

I don't understand why people did not enjoy this book because it had to be one of the best books I have ever read! The author's technique was very attractive, easy to read, and unique. I cannot wait to read another book by Karen Hesse.
Teen, 14 years old Written byyolo_b#*@% July 29, 2012

poopitypoop

the person who rote is a stupid monkey,.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBookpro101 July 25, 2012

Don't be fooled!

Horrible. Just horrible. Please don't waste your time with this. Don't be fooled by what other people say! This book contains graphic violence, drinking, giving birth and more. If you are a parent please DO NOT give this book to your child. I cannot stress this enough!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bymoneyrocks97 October 11, 2011

DISSAPOINTING!

To read this book was not very fun. You would never think that in a kids book that the mom would die and the brother and it was practically Billie Jo's fault.

AWESOME BOOK!!!!!!

This book is historical fiction and it has alot of facts about how hard it was living during the terrible times of the dust storm, it is very well written and while reading it i got very emotinal and i like the way it was free verse also it was very interesting to learn all the different emotions billie jo was feeling during this time era!!! i totally recormend it
Kid, 10 years old May 17, 2011
Kid, 12 years old March 31, 2011

perfect for that age group of 9&up

Kid, 11 years old April 26, 2010
This movie takes place in Oaklahoma. And this book is about a girl named Billie Joe who lives with her mother who is having a second child. And Billie Joe also is living with her father. Billie Joe's family is dealing with the duststorms. But one day when the duststorm hits it ruins Billie Joe's dad's crops. He looses his job. But when life is harsh in Oaklahoma Billie Joe plays songs. I think Karen Hesse is a great author. Because I red a lot of her books. And there all very well written. But Out of The Dust is my favorite book written by her because the story is amazing And it's fun learning about the charectors in the book.
Teen, 17 years old Written byalexander555 June 17, 2015

Best book ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so descriptive!!!!! OMG... 100000000000000000000000000000000 out of 10

Read for school book
Kid, 11 years old June 6, 2014

Great book

It talks about the Dust Bowl and it is a great book, but I say the sad part is when Billie Jo tosses the pail and sets her mother on fire, and she dies with her baby.