Kid reviews for Penny from Heaven

Slow but intriguing Newbery Honor book.

Based on 1 review

Kid, 12 years old May 25, 2012

Good Book

Penny from Heaven is a sweet, well written book. It is about 11 year old Penny who grows up in New Jersey in 1953. Her late father's side of the family is big and Italian. There is some mention of smoking, only because it is the 50's. Alcohol is mentioned about 6 or 7 times, so take note of that. I wouldn't go as far as to say it has violence, if you count an incident with old fashioned clothing wringer as violence. I put educational value on it because it shows how Italians were treated during World War 2 (SPOILER! Penny's father was sent to an internment camp where he died because Italians weren't allowed to own radios in the 40's). This book is also laugh out loud funny! I highly recommend this book. Again, the only negative is the drinking and smoking. Great Read!!!

Teen, 15 years old Written byJo86 September 26, 2013

Touching story, great and captivating read

Penny from Heaven is a shining story about a 12 year old Italian-American girl, Penny, in the 1950s. Penny often wonders about her father’s death and the reason both sides of her family don’t go along together. Although she lives with her mother and grandparents from her mother’s side, she finds it dull. Her grandmother can’t cook, her grandfather is half-deaf and burps all the time, and her mother never spends time with her or allows her to enjoy her time. Her Italian-extended family are the opposite: they adore her. They understand her and they talk about her father. After a terrible accident, she gains new insights about herself and her family, while discovering the story behind her father’s death. Penny from Heaven is a touching story about coping with changes, seeing the bright side in everything, and always having hope. It is a great and captivating read, I highly recommend it

Teen, 13 years old Written byhaileydi August 1, 2010

A Fantastic Read For Teen Girls

I read this book as a fifth-grader, and I absolutely loved it then. Now, as an eighth grader, I still pull this book of my shelf every once in a while, and I enjoy it just as much as I did when I experienced it for the first time. Penny From Heaven is a must read for girls.
Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008

Read Penny From Heaven

It is a great book. There are some sad parts, but that's okay!What's a book without some emotions?
Teen, 13 years old Written byhellokittycaroline March 29, 2012

Wow

i LOVE this book. It is a wonderful book that takes place in 1953. A must read. Seriously I'm not kidding. Very beautiful story.

Teen, 14 years old Written byjobeargagnon September 23, 2010

just right for 10-12 year olds.

I thought it was cute. It peerfectly described life foe italian-american families in the late 50's, and was a deligthful read
Kid, 12 years old April 14, 2010

GOOD BOOK!

It's a good book, but I don't think that anyone under the age of 11 should read it because the story is about an 11 year old girl so younger kids may not understand it, however, it is great for all ages above.

Teen, 13 years old Written byMegz November 22, 2009

BEST BOOK EVER!

LOVE IT! THIS IS TOTALLY THE BEST BOOK EVER! YOU HAVE GOT TO READ IT! AND THE INAPPROPRIATE STUFF UP THERE, THOSE ARE ALL LITTLE DETAILS! THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING SCARY OR BAD!! YOU HAVE GOT TO READ IT!