Kid reviews for Ready Player One

Exciting, funny, futuristic thriller about online games.

Teen, 16 years old Written byShowman movie13 July 11, 2020

Addictive book; I could NOT put this book down!!!

This book is very amazing! I read it twice so... yeah! The virtual-reality world is so,so awesomely AMAZING! The book had some violence(not overly intense)that may scare young ones! The language goes a bit over-board! Plenty of f**k and s**t with some d**k! The book may be fun-filled but it has plenty of language! I think 14+ could read this! Just be beware that there is a lot of language in almost every page! I loved this and fell in love with the book! I love in the book they mentions lots of video-games/movies/tv shows through out the book! Of course, it is the future, Wade is a decent guy who swears in the book! He wants to spend a lot of his time in the virtual-reality world because of his living issues(living with his crappy aunt her boyfriend) in which he is treated a but badly! James Halliday, creator of OASIS, is a geek man who loves video games. He is mention through out the book! Samantha is Wade's girlfriend(in the end) who also swears but is a better person than Wade. She knows that if she wants to win, she can't keep on hanging out with Wade(who is her diversion). Nolan is the main bad who wants to control the OASIS! He will do anything to get it, seriously. Great role models/messages is mild but is seen! Educational value: 1/5. Great messages: 2/5. Great role models: 3/5. Too much violence: 3/5. Too much sex: 2/5. Too much swearing 5/5. Too much consumerism: 5/5
Too much drinking/drugs/smoking: 1/5.

Kid, 11 years old July 14, 2014

A geeks' dream (but anyone would love it:)

When I finished Ready Player One I was stunned. It had everything that a good book should have; plot twists, fore shadowing, characters with personality, action, humor, you derived knowledge from it....... Sorry! I tend to get excited about amazing books.
When I read this book I didn't read anything that bad unless swearing and game violence makes you uncomfortable (all the language is basically smack talk as it does often appear in games). Also, it might make you feel upset because they live on what was once our world but now is ruined because of what humans did to it. It might also frighten someone because it shows what people would go to get money.
I will never forget this books and the messages and new ideas within it.

Teen, 13 years old Written byThedude57447434 September 11, 2013

My review

This is a must read for anyone who is interested in the 1980's the movies the music the video games everything is to the T and I liked it a very Orwellian vibe
Teen, 14 years old Written byMarvel101 August 14, 2019
There are some good role models, but way too many curse words.

Teen, 14 years old Written byTeenagePianist September 24, 2020

Amazing

So, I made the mistake of reading this at 13. I was innocent. I am no longer innocent. This was the most inappropriate book I have read in my life (and I do read a lot!). There was an insane amount of cursing, and there was a part which glamorized masturbation, saying it was necessary, amazing, etc. HOWEVER as a sci-fi geek and tech nerd, I thoroughly enjoyed the plotline and the fact that most of it is set in virtual reality. The book was very well written, but would be a lot better if the author had toned down the language and had not included so much sex-related stuff, which detracted from the plotline. Overall a great read for mature teens and adults.

Teen, 14 years old Written bytimmys unite July 28, 2020

Best book ever.

I only give this a 12+ because kids won’t fully appreciate or understand this book until they are older. Sure, there are references to masturbation and strip clubs and such, but mature kids are fine with this stuff. Parents, remember that your kids are always more mature than you think.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAmari. July 2, 2020

WOW

such a great book and I adore it

Kid, 12 years old April 6, 2020

Good for mature kids.

I personally read this book when I was ten. I was actually mature enough to understand what went on. It's more of a fun book to read rather than it having that many role models. There were some suggestive scenes (m*turbation etc.) Swearing is more than apparent. But, if i was able to read and understand it at ten, I feel like if your kid is one not to say "yo look at dis page, it gotz the f word" then this book is fine.

Teen, 13 years old Written byRathuahua February 16, 2020

Bad language but amazing book

Although this book has horrible language it should be fine for mature teens. There is some sexual content but nothing too bad. Violence isn't that bad either. Overall it is an amazing book and I would recommend it to everyone.
Kid, 10 years old January 10, 2020

amazing!!!!!!!

amazing
Kid, 12 years old November 7, 2019

This is the best book I have ever read

If you haven't read this, read it now. This is an amazing book. Read it. Do it. Do it now.

Kid, 12 years old November 4, 2019

Addicting; Hungry for more

Okay for kids who understand what sex is etc.

Teen, 17 years old Written byrex2323 August 1, 2019

Fun read, aimed for a teenage/young adult audience.

Honestly, this was a lot of fun to read. The plot is centered around a massive puzzle-infused scavenger hunt that is compelling from the very start. Yes, it does have some language and a few sex/masturbation references, and a bit of violence that comes with all dystopian style worlds. But without this, (and this is true with all stories told through a teenager or young adult viewpoint) the characters wouldn’t feel very realistic. Teenagers talk about sex and they curse, deal with it. People don’t normally enjoy reading about cookie-cutter goody-two-shoes teenagers, those make the story sound like it was written by a five year old imagining what high school looks like. Another thing, the main protagonist is very clearly made out to be an atheist at the beginning of the story, and if you have a problem with that, then you may be a little peeved by the end of the first chapter. The book also does have a few great moments that encourage friendship and teamwork, as working together with others is what the characters have to do in order to complete a goal. There’s no real deeper messages or moral lesson to the book, but it’s a real fun book to read.
Teen, 14 years old Written byStankypigeon July 21, 2019

Amazing

I just finished reading this book and I was blown away! As for bad language, I have a psychology that if enough people believed it, table could be a swear. A few sexual references, but I say your a bad parent if you don’t explain sex to your kids at a decently young age. I know there’s definitely at least three hundred adults looking at this like, “what the hell is this kid on about” but anyone smart, will at least understand my point of view if they don’t agree with me. Anyway great book filled to the brim with 80s trivia, would definitely recommend for anyone like me who is an 80s geek.

Teen, 13 years old Written byNaomiSL July 10, 2019

A good story

Some swearing and sex mentions, but most teens already know about what is mentioned. Overall a great story with positive messages and an interesting premise.

Teen, 14 years old Written bychainreaction July 8, 2019

Good, but only for specific types of readers.

The book talks a little bit about atheism/ challenging god, and it has some language. Any kid in middle school or higher has hear/ knows about all of these things. Around late middle of the book it talks about masturbaton, but its a natural and healthy thing atleast half of kids by age 12 do and/or know about. Its a good book if you are into science fiction, and by the age a child can read it easily, they understand everything in it.

Teen, 13 years old Written byItsRyGuy July 4, 2019

Ready Player One: Exciting with lots of 80s nostalgia

Ready Player One is a action novel by the author Ernest Cline about a competition to take over a video game universe by finding Easter eggs left by the deceased creator of the game, James Halliday. Parents and Kids beware, this book can be dark and scary for younger kids from the age 11 and under. Violence is present like detonating buildings, video game violence, car crashes, guns and futuristic weapons. A scene in the book is recreated form a scene of The Shinning, a horror novel by Stephen King. Characters use death threats, send messages through the video game, and has LOTS of cursing present, including multiple f-bombs, sh*thead, c*ck, b*tch, and damn. Wade Watts (Parzival) has a relationship with a online character and has been “cyber stalking” her. Wade has relationships with strangers all around the world, not knowing their names, genders, and if they are safe in the competition. This book is PACKED full of 80s nostalgia like Atari, Nintendo, E.T, Kong, The Goonies, The Shinning ( like I said before), Delorean and many more pop culture references. Overall, Ready Player One is a great sci-fi novel for older teens only.

Teen, 17 years old Written byyeet boy May 16, 2019

god level

its the best book ive ever come across and ive read a lot of books.

Teen, 13 years old Written byUsername_10 April 30, 2019
Teen, 13 years old Written bySt. Dominic Lit 6B April 9, 2019

SOmething 3

It is a very good book especially if you are in to 80s pop culture and/or videogames. There is some violence like the main character's home gets blown up by an evil corporation called the IOI. There is also a lot of in game gun violence. There is also some swordfights. In one chapter it describes masturbation, brothels, and humping people. So, it starts off with Wade ( the main character) sitting in his huse playing some old coin-op videogames. Then he goes and finds a tomb with the Copper Key, which is important to the main plot of Halliday's egg. In the tomb he also meets Art3mis, a female player that he is obssessed with. He kind of gets sidetracked after finding the Key because he is too busy going out with her. His friend Aech sends him the location of the next Key later. He ends with winning and finding the egg.