Kid reviews for Ready Player One

Exciting, funny, futuristic thriller about online games.

Teen, 16 years old Written byShowman movie13 July 11, 2020

Addictive book; I could NOT put this book down!!!

Award this book got from me: 1# Book of the year, 1# Sci-Fi book, 1# addictive book, 1# Book of the month, Top 10 book, 1# Stunning book, and 1# Most Read!!! This book is down-right the BEST book to read. This book is so addictive to read. I've read this about 10 times already- not joking. You must read this book! So addictively amazing!!!

"Take that Harry Potter!"

This book rocks all the way through! I dare you to read this book; it will make you fall in love with Sci-Fi! Don't trust me, read it!

(More will be added later on in this review.)

Kid, 11 years old July 14, 2014

A geeks' dream (but anyone would love it:)

When I finished Ready Player One I was stunned. It had everything that a good book should have; plot twists, fore shadowing, characters with personality, action, humor, you derived knowledge from it....... Sorry! I tend to get excited about amazing books.
When I read this book I didn't read anything that bad unless swearing and game violence makes you uncomfortable (all the language is basically smack talk as it does often appear in games). Also, it might make you feel upset because they live on what was once our world but now is ruined because of what humans did to it. It might also frighten someone because it shows what people would go to get money.
I will never forget this books and the messages and new ideas within it.

Educational Value
Teen, 13 years old Written byThedude57447434 September 11, 2013

My review

This is a must read for anyone who is interested in the 1980's the movies the music the video games everything is to the T and I liked it a very Orwellian vibe
Kid, 12 years old December 21, 2020

Amazing Book, but beware of profanity

the book is great on it's own, but you should only read it if you can withstand mild sexual reference and heavy levels of profanity in literature.

Teen, 13 years old Written byYeeskedee December 11, 2020

Its a Good book, but only for the right audience

This is an amazing book, but only for older teens.

Teen, 14 years old Written byTeenagePianist September 24, 2020

Amazing

So, I made the mistake of reading this at 13. I was innocent. I am no longer innocent. This was the most inappropriate book I have read in my life (and I do read a lot!). There was an insane amount of cursing, and there was a part which glamorized masturbation, saying it was necessary, amazing, etc. HOWEVER as a sci-fi geek and tech nerd, I thoroughly enjoyed the plotline and the fact that most of it is set in virtual reality. The book was very well written, but would be a lot better if the author had toned down the language and had not included so much sex-related stuff, which detracted from the plotline. Overall a great read for mature teens and adults.

Teen, 14 years old Written bytimmys unite July 28, 2020

Best book ever.

I only give this a 12+ because kids won’t fully appreciate or understand this book until they are older. Sure, there are references to masturbation and strip clubs and such, but mature kids are fine with this stuff. Parents, remember that your kids are always more mature than you think.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMarvel101 August 14, 2019
There are some good role models, but way too many curse words.

Teen, 13 years old Written byAugustineIsHere August 21, 2021

Movie is great, book sucks

Its entertaining but it sounds like the author got traumatized in the 1990s and nows only meaning in life is reminicing about the 80s. Also the mention of sex dolls is really creepy and I did not enjoy it. Violence really isn't too bad and there's some positive messages, however no positive role models. Wade is a little bit of a creepy, Halliday is endlessly quirky, and Artemis is a little bit of a butthole at times. Stick to the movie, thats great on its own without coming off weird like the book.

Teen, 14 years old Written byHiWhats_Up July 22, 2021

AWESOME book but it has some mature content

This book is my favorite! But it does have quite a lot of language and sexual references. I recommend it for people who can handle it.

Kid, 11 years old July 15, 2021

Best book

Its so good that I stay up all night reading it. But There is swearing in it.

Educational Value
Teen, 13 years old Written byDOGEsoSWAG June 10, 2021

Really Awesome for Adults and Teenagers

Set in the near future where resources are limited and the only escape from it is a virtual world. Amazing book, read through it in a few weeks because it was so great. Although there are very iffy scenes in the book.

Violence -
The main characters parents are killed in an explosion (implied)

Language -
Many uses of "f--k", "s--t", and "damn"

Sex -
The main character goes through a depressive phase where he buys a sex doll and masturbates

Teen, 14 years old Written byroblox_pro121 June 2, 2021

Can't stop..

ok so its the best, i love the movie, is says its f**king chucky and some sex is in it.. but I think its best for 12-13 but if your mature enough i recommed it. abuse and cussing and blood and death. thats all.. best movie ever.

Kid, 12 years old May 3, 2021

Amazing

This book was great, and I don’t want age restrictions to hold people back from reading this. If it will get someone reading then let them read it. Most of the content would be picked up by even going to school, it’s very mild. I didn’t even pick up on some things people are talking about (I read it when I was 11).
Teen, 16 years old Written bylogan_N March 23, 2021

Ready Player One:

Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline, is a science fiction book set in a dystopian future, in the year 2045. It’s story follows Wade, a teenager looking for a great fortune left behind in the virtual world of the Oasis. The only thing is… he’s not the only person who wants it.
When I picked this book to read, I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did. I thought that I would get through it fast, and it wouldn't be a big deal, but to my surprise, I ended up enjoying this book very much. I think that the book can be enjoyed by all age groups, and not just because of it’s story. It has lots of 80s’ pop culture references to keep an older reader engaged in the story, and I can see younger readers enjoying the plot line in generale, even if they don’t understand all of the references. Even if they don't, there is usually small text at the bottom of the page to explain the history and context of said reference.
The main character, Wade, and the friends that he meets along the way are hunting for the keys and clues that will help them find the fortune that the creator of the Oasis, Hallidiy, left behind after he died. It states in his will that whoever finds the ultimate easter egg claims all of the money. The style of the book is very dystopian, and neon, almost. Consider it retro-futurism. Themes in the book only help elevate its story, with themes like teamwork, and communication.
So overall, I think that this is a book that is worth many people's time, and if you are willing to dive into a not so distant future involving clues, friends, enemies, and 80s’ pop culture, then you are bound to enjoy this book.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymagsdee04 March 18, 2021

Wanted to buy this as a gift for a younger sibling... slightly disappointed

Great storyline as soon as you pick it up. Addictive, and is very well thought through world. I am disappointed about the talk of masterbation, sex toys, and foul language, as well as crude gestures. Be careful, and its a great, but be prepared. PARENTS- i reccomend having a conversation about morals and online safety, as well as hiding behind a screen and what it would be like if everyone lived VR :)

Teen, 14 years old Written bysososocool March 1, 2021

great

so good that the first day I got it I read all day and I read 50 pages in one day I loved it so much and when I finished it I was sad and then when I saw ready player two at target I got it amidietly.

Teen, 17 years old Written byLOTRmemes97 January 14, 2021

Overrated Trash

For one thing, the book is written like it is YA, but Ready Player One is clearly intended for an adult audience; it has swears on almost every page, and 80s references that only children of the 80’s will understand.

That’s only the beginning. Here are my ratings out of 5 of all the important aspects of the book.

Plot 2/5

Virtual reality is almost a trope these days. Personally, I don’t think that cramming a bunch of obscure 80s references into a mediocre plot makes a good book. However, it is evident because of the vast majority of positive reviews, that most people disagree with me.

World building 2/5

I was fairly interested in the world building, until the info dumping began. Page after page of often trivial information. I struggled to finish this book because of it.

Characters 0/5

You may have noticed I gave the characters a rating of 0. That is honestly how I feel. Every single character in this book is either poorly written, or just plain annoying. (Yeah, that’s you, WADE). What infuriated me the most was how Shoto and Daito were written. They were stereotyped with not much thought. Also, I felt a little uncomfortable when Aech’s skin was described as “chocolate brown”. It is just a little weird for a white author to describe a black character like that. Art3mis had hope of being an interesting character at first, but it soon became apparent that her sole purpose was Wade’s love interest. She even forgave him for cyberstalking, and they started dating again.

Wade -100/5

Oh look, another category. Yeah. I couldn’t live with myself after giving the characters section a 0 when Wade was included, so I made a subcategory for him.

Wade is arguably the worst part of Ready Player One. He’s an arrogant cyberstalker who thinks that anyone who doesn’t know as much pointless 80s trivia as him is an inferior being. His narration is terrible, as he only talks about himself. Wade doesn’t even slightly offer a good perspective on Ready Player One’s vast world.

In short, Wade is just plain annoying, and he’s the kind of person I would happily punch if I were to meet him.

Overall review 1/5
Teen, 13 years old Written byWearevenom2 October 1, 2020

Great read!

The only inappropriate thing in this book the strong language. They use the f-word about every three or four chapters. All that aside, Ready Player One has a lot of 80s references and is one of my favorite books.

Teen, 14 years old Written byAmari. July 2, 2020

WOW

such a great book and I adore it