Kid reviews for Ready Player One

Exciting, funny, futuristic thriller about online games.

Kid, 11 years old July 14, 2014

A geeks' dream (but anyone would love it:)

When I finished Ready Player One I was stunned. It had everything that a good book should have; plot twists, fore shadowing, characters with personality, action, humor, you derived knowledge from it....... Sorry! I tend to get excited about amazing books.
When I read this book I didn't read anything that bad unless swearing and game violence makes you uncomfortable (all the language is basically smack talk as it does often appear in games). Also, it might make you feel upset because they live on what was once our world but now is ruined because of what humans did to it. It might also frighten someone because it shows what people would go to get money.
I will never forget this books and the messages and new ideas within it.

Teen, 13 years old Written byThedude57447434 September 11, 2013

My review

This is a must read for anyone who is interested in the 1980's the movies the music the video games everything is to the T and I liked it a very Orwellian vibe
Teen, 14 years old Written byMarvel101 August 14, 2019
There are some good role models, but way too many curse words.

Teen, 17 years old Written byrex2323 August 1, 2019

Fun read, aimed for a teenage/young adult audience.

Honestly, this was a lot of fun to read. The plot is centered around a massive puzzle-infused scavenger hunt that is compelling from the very start. Yes, it does have some language and a few sex/masturbation references, and a bit of violence that comes with all dystopian style worlds. But without this, (and this is true with all stories told through a teenager or young adult viewpoint) the characters wouldn’t feel very realistic. Teenagers talk about sex and they curse, deal with it. People don’t normally enjoy reading about cookie-cutter goody-two-shoes teenagers, those make the story sound like it was written by a five year old imagining what high school looks like. Another thing, the main protagonist is very clearly made out to be an atheist at the beginning of the story, and if you have a problem with that, then you may be a little peeved by the end of the first chapter. The book also does have a few great moments that encourage friendship and teamwork, as working together with others is what the characters have to do in order to complete a goal. There’s no real deeper messages or moral lesson to the book, but it’s a real fun book to read.
Teen, 14 years old Written byStankypigeon July 21, 2019

Amazing

I just finished reading this book and I was blown away! As for bad language, I have a psychology that if enough people believed it, table could be a swear. A few sexual references, but I say your a bad parent if you don’t explain sex to your kids at a decently young age. I know there’s definitely at least three hundred adults looking at this like, “what the hell is this kid on about” but anyone smart, will at least understand my point of view if they don’t agree with me. Anyway great book filled to the brim with 80s trivia, would definitely recommend for anyone like me who is an 80s geek.

Teen, 13 years old Written byNaomiSL July 10, 2019

A good story

Some swearing and sex mentions, but most teens already know about what is mentioned. Overall a great story with positive messages and an interesting premise.

Teen, 14 years old Written bychainreaction July 8, 2019

Good, but only for specific types of readers.

The book talks a little bit about atheism/ challenging god, and it has some language. Any kid in middle school or higher has hear/ knows about all of these things. Around late middle of the book it talks about masturbaton, but its a natural and healthy thing atleast half of kids by age 12 do and/or know about. Its a good book if you are into science fiction, and by the age a child can read it easily, they understand everything in it.

Teen, 13 years old Written byItsRyGuy July 4, 2019

Ready Player One: Exciting with lots of 80s nostalgia

Ready Player One is a action novel by the author Ernest Cline about a competition to take over a video game universe by finding Easter eggs left by the deceased creator of the game, James Halliday. Parents and Kids beware, this book can be dark and scary for younger kids from the age 11 and under. Violence is present like detonating buildings, video game violence, car crashes, guns and futuristic weapons. A scene in the book is recreated form a scene of The Shinning, a horror novel by Stephen King. Characters use death threats, send messages through the video game, and has LOTS of cursing present, including multiple f-bombs, sh*thead, c*ck, b*tch, and damn. Wade Watts (Parzival) has a relationship with a online character and has been “cyber stalking” her. Wade has relationships with strangers all around the world, not knowing their names, genders, and if they are safe in the competition. This book is PACKED full of 80s nostalgia like Atari, Nintendo, E.T, Kong, The Goonies, The Shinning ( like I said before), Delorean and many more pop culture references. Overall, Ready Player One is a great sci-fi novel for older teens only.

Teen, 17 years old Written byyeet boy May 16, 2019

god level

its the best book ive ever come across and ive read a lot of books.

Teen, 13 years old Written byUsername_10 April 30, 2019
Teen, 13 years old Written bySt. Dominic Lit 6B April 9, 2019

SOmething 3

It is a very good book especially if you are in to 80s pop culture and/or videogames. There is some violence like the main character's home gets blown up by an evil corporation called the IOI. There is also a lot of in game gun violence. There is also some swordfights. In one chapter it describes masturbation, brothels, and humping people. So, it starts off with Wade ( the main character) sitting in his huse playing some old coin-op videogames. Then he goes and finds a tomb with the Copper Key, which is important to the main plot of Halliday's egg. In the tomb he also meets Art3mis, a female player that he is obssessed with. He kind of gets sidetracked after finding the Key because he is too busy going out with her. His friend Aech sends him the location of the next Key later. He ends with winning and finding the egg.

Teen, 16 years old Written byJace Engel April 4, 2019

Great book.

Teen, 13 years old Written byImpav1d February 19, 2019

Favourite

This is my absolute favourite book in the entire world, it leaves the chapters on such cliffhangers and there’s lots of twists and turns, You can’t stop reading! I literally read it for 6 hours straight, because I wanted to find out what happens next. It’s a really amazing book and if you like video games, movies, pop culture, you’ll love it. If you’re thinking about getting this book for your kid, if your worried with them reading or hearing swear words, if they go to a school that has more than 6 grades they’ll have definitely heard it. Anyways amazing book you’d be missing out if you haven’t given it a read

Teen, 13 years old Written byBarkEater569 February 14, 2019

This is the BEST BOOK EVER

In the book, Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline, the main character, Wade Watts, or Parsival, must face many challenges and overcome fears. Wade is a poor young boy that has one love, or two, in the end of the book, his main love is the OASIS, a virtual world in which people escape the world and can do whatever they want, and be whoever they want. This book is my favorite book because it has MANY references from the ’80s and LOTS of humor. In my opinion, the start of the book was a tad boring, however, once the main character, Wade, got to discover the answers, the book just kept me stuck to it. I would read this book until 1 o'clock because it is such a cliff hanging book. I would recommend this book for kids 12+ because this book does have a chapter all about sexual stuff. However, this book is also about being resourceful and relying on others for help.

Kid, 11 years old February 3, 2019

Amazing story, full of action and plot twists.

I am an 11 year-old who recently read this book at school and LOVED IT. I was addicted to the humor and 80's references (including one about Monty Python and the Holy Grail!) This book, though it takes place mostly in a virtual world, seems so real and engaging that you never want to stop reading. It has good messages about the amount of time children spend playing video games that fully relates to 2019. Overall, I think the story does come down to the importance of real friends who love you for who you are.
As for adult topics and language, the book has a very limited use of strong language and the sexual references (masturbation, talk of a sex doll) are quick and do not go into much detail. A kid who is not that sensitive to these kinds of things will be fine and their takeaway from the book will most likely be from the positive messages and fun adventure style, and not the aspects mentioned above.
Ready Player One is an amazing, action packed, keep-you-guessing sci-fi adventure that will have a kid hooked to the end.

Teen, 13 years old Written byJozzey07 December 30, 2018

WARNING NOT FOR KIDS!!!

This book is amazing but contains a LOT of swearing. There are also a LOT of talking about Sex. The best book, but not for the young ones

Teen, 13 years old Written by_akuafina December 24, 2018

Teen, 13 years old Written byAislynDiane November 25, 2018

Great sci-fi book for mature teens!

'Ready Player One' is an exciting and fun book full of pop culture references for nerdy teenagers, but there is a lot of sex, including a chapter about masturbation and talk of blow up dolls. There is a bit of violence, though. Wade's entire family is killed by the mass corporation IOI and a man is thrown out of a window and killed. The book contains positive messages about the dangers of technology. Overall, it is an amazing and well written book for mature teens who have a bit of nerd blood.

Kid, 12 years old September 18, 2018

Definitely 12+

This is a really good book, but not the best. Personally, I'm not interested in the 1980s, nor did I grow up in that time, so I didn't understand quite a few of those references. I read this book when I was 10, and I remember being shocked at the amount of swearing. Just a heads up!

Teen, 13 years old Written byMarvelM September 2, 2018

Amazing!

This was a amazing book, I was a bit reluctant at first but it turned out I was judging a book by it's cover. I love the way how Ernest Cline wrote it so that teens and adults can enjoy it. Although yes, the language, It is still a amazing dystopian book with gaming utopia.