Kid reviews for Revenge of the Witch: The Last Apprentice, Book 1

Stalwart tween fights dark forces in deliciously scary read.

Kid, 9 years old April 2, 2016

I read it wow intense.

This is a wonderful book but there is lots of violence. Many deaths and murders. I was 9 when I read it and it was still very intense for me. There is no educational value or langue.Over all this is a must read for 12 and over.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKrypticus June 29, 2017

One of my favorite books!

This was a great book/series. I started it when I was probably about eight and loved it. I finished it all up(the series)last year and it was perfect. Great plot, great story, great characters. As far as violence goes, even my eight-year-old self didn't think it was that bad. It is DEFINTELY very gory and creepy and I've gotten creeped out more than once, especially from some of the vivid drawings. But the main character and the Spook are both very anti-violent. They capture monsters or free monsters from the dark instead of killing them. The Spook gets very sad whenever he talks about a past monster or witch he had to kill. So yes, it is creepy and there is definitely lots of blood, which I think has been everyone else's main concern, but as far as the sword-and-weapons actual violence, there is very little. Again one of my favorite books and series,' definitely try it.

Educational Value
Kid, 12 years old January 19, 2015

great

i loved it and read it super fast.
Kid, 11 years old January 24, 2016

Just like a classic: scary, entertaining, and has a plot like a fairytale.

Revenge of the witch is played out just like a Grimm brothers tale: dark but yet entertaining with positive messages. There is a fair handful of violence, but Mr. Gregory advises against it often. In the end the witch suffers a painful death, but she "deserved" it after dangerously threatening newborns, Toms family, and other innocents. The pictures for each chapter are very dark and scary, as with all of the series. In other words, if your kid likes bloodless, dark fantasy novels, this is the perfect one for him.