Kid reviews for Roller Girl

With girl power galore, graphic novel is great for tweens.

Kid, 9 years old February 1, 2016

awesome book

i think its cool
Kid, 10 years old July 1, 2020

Amazing

I really enjoyed this book, and it think it gives a really positive role model and shows courage and bravery to young children. Although there is a little bit of language, (No proper swear words) I think this book is really good and is super inspiring.

Kid, 11 years old June 5, 2020

Guys, a swear word isn’t that bad

Oooookay. I’ve seen a lot of OH GOSH THERE IS A MINOR SWEARWORD. I just want to address that I’ve heard much worse at school. I recommend this to 11+ because it’s a little nerve wracking and scary, but a swear word isn’t a big deal to me or my parents as long as I know not to use it.
Secondly, this has earned its place on my shelf of favorite graphic novels.
I love the messages!
And there is also the fact that she dyes her hair without asking. You may need to talk to your child about that (and peer pressure).
All in all 4/5 from me, and I hope you consider this!
Thank you!
Teen, 17 years old Written bySofabanana May 28, 2020

One of my favorite graphic novels

I really like this book. It was very good, and was personally one of my favorite graphic novels. I read this a while back, and have reread it several times as its such a sweet novel. Its a fairly quick read (I think I read it in like a day) but it's still a memoriable one about friendship.

Kid, 9 years old December 30, 2019

Super great!

I love roller derby I try to go to a lot of my towns games and I absolutely love roller skating! So when I this in a store I knew I absolutely had to get it. I have read Roller Girl like a 1,000898899 times (not really) because it is so amazing! A lot of my friends have read it to! I know some parents may think that their child should not read Roller Girl because of the language, but I think if your kid is over 8 then they will be able to handle it. I read it when I was 8 and I was fine.

Kid, 9 years old October 26, 2019

Roller girl

I think that this graphic novel is good, but why would it swear in it and common sense media call it a 8 and up book. This book has great role models and more.

Kid, 9 years old October 26, 2019

Roller girl

Teen, 13 years old Written byBookLover117 October 6, 2019

Love This Book!

I read this book at age 8 and loved it! Now, years later, I still see how great this book is. It is really entertaining and gives good messages. I would recommend this book to ages 8 and up because the words "ass turd" is brought up once. But, its nothing to keep you/your child from reading it. Overall, I highly recommend this read!

Kid, 10 years old April 11, 2019

Pretty good book...

To be honest, this wasn’t my favorite book but it was okay. It’s about a girl named Astrid who’s mom takes her to a roller derby match. She then decides to go to a roller derby summer camp. This book doesn’t just talk about Astrid going to the camp, but it also talks about friends, enemies, mentors, and trying your very hardest. This book depends on the person, you might or might not like this graphic novel.

Teen, 14 years old Written byRaelin33 March 9, 2019

Really good

It's a really good book, and has a really good story line! I've gotten it out of the library at least 8 times!

Kid, 12 years old October 20, 2018

Love it!

This book is so good! There is only one swear-word throughout the book but it is only used once, and your kids should be fine. It is about roller derby, and written by someone who actually does roller derby, so there is a lot of true things in it. It shows a lot of girl power.

Kid, 12 years old August 8, 2018
I love this book, I really don’t think anyone under 11 should read this because it does use the word ‘ass’ but that’s just it, no other bad words. This book also has great messages like ‘never give up’

Kid, 9 years old August 7, 2018

Great book but not without falls

This book has a wonderful story. It's got strong girl role models and 12 year old Astrid isn't afraid to be herself. She is part of a girl's only roller derby club, and that's pretty cool. I find it has very common things that parents and children discuss and friends talk about. This book is very realistic. In roller derby the girls hip check each other and one player is very rough with Astrid and hr team, but this book teaches great messages about friends and not letting others down. It also teaches you never to give up on your dreams. There is some language like 'hate' 'turd buckets' and 'ass-turd' but not that repeatedly. I love this book overall and I recommend it to children 9 +.

Kid, 10 years old December 30, 2017

Great book!

Victoria Jamieson is an amazing artist who really can capture the feelings and emotions of kids. This book has great characters, and teaches kids right and wrong. If you have not read it yet you should try it! I definitely think it is centured for older kids, but it has no concept that an eight year old should not be exposed to. Give this awesome book a try!

Kid, 12 years old December 9, 2017

Amazing book

I think this book is very positive about achieving your goals and finding yourself and your friends. Astrid has a friend who isn’t right for her, and the book is all about her discovering who she is without Nicole.
There is also a side story about roller derby and how Astrid finds herself and a new friend there.
Most of the characters are positive but there are some mentions of rude words and comments but not very much.
I think everyone would like it age 7 and up.

Teen, 15 years old Written byToma Prichard March 16, 2017

Recommended to all ages

It has very positive messages for children of any age. The author renders the very complex emotions of maturing very cleverly, and gives it a very hopeful and aspirant tone throughout.

It is very disappointing and infuriating that some parents consider the whole book "profane" and "inappropriate" for the nickname "ass-turd" in which the character was used to be called. The word is only mentioned once throughout the book, and that is all of the "language".

Any kid encounters much worse "swearing" or "expletives" many times, even if the parents do not know. I too think that you should refrain from using crude language, but this book has nothing to do with validating it, and the reviews concerning this are taking the matter out of context and unfairly.

The parents need to grow up and not judge the content of any work solely by the language and conduct of the characters. Such thinking is very immature and one-dimensional.

Kid, 9 years old November 13, 2016

The book is pretty good

Roller girl can encourage young girls to do many great things and also shows great problem solving skills.