Want personalized picks that fit your family?
Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.
A lot or a little?
The parents' guide to what's in this book.
What parents need to know
- Parents say
- Kids say
What's the story?
Is it any good?
ROOFTOPPERS is a captivating read packed with tiny delights. There's an astonishing scene wherein birds are fed atop a tightrope, Charles' dismissal of bureaucrats as "mustaches with idiots attached," ice cream enjoyed in the rain on the outside box of a horse-drawn carriage -- and that's just for starters. Author Katherine Rundell celebrates eccentric, resilient people who are happy to live on the margins of respectable society. Unorthodox people, of course, have unorthodox adventures, and Sophie's is a magical journey.
Rundell's writing is lyrical and clever -- sometimes a little too clever, as the creative metaphors and similes pile up to the point of distraction. But that's just a tiny quibble with this imaginative, soaring tale.
Talk to your kids about ...
- Families can talk about the rooftoppers' means of survival: They trespass, steal, and fight with weapons. Also, Sophie and Charles intentionally break the law. Are they justified?
- Rooftoppers, like many kids' novels, features a child searching for her parent. Can you think of other stories of abandoned children you've read or seen in movies?
Could this tale, which begins in the 1890s, take place in the modern era? How would modern technology change the story?
- Author: Katherine Rundell
- Illustrator: Terry Fan
- Genre: Adventure
- Topics: Adventures, Great Girl Role Models, Misfits and Underdogs
- Book type: Fiction
- Publisher: Simon & Schuster
- Publication date: September 24, 2013
- Publisher's recommended age(s): 8 - 12
- Number of pages: 288
- Available on: Paperback, Nook, Audiobook (unabridged), Hardback, iBooks, Kindle
- Award: ALA Best and Notable Books
Themes & Topics
Browse titles with similar subject matter.
Our editors recommend
Top advice and articles
Common Sense Media's unbiased ratings are created by expert reviewers and aren't influenced by the product's creators or by any of our funders, affiliates, or partners.