Kid reviews for Sabriel: The Abhorsen Trilogy, Book 1

Necromancer's teen daughter fights the dead.

Teen, 13 years old Written bytintin_in_arcata April 9, 2008

I love this book

Sabriel is fantastic. It is incredibly dark, but for some reason that didn't seem to bother me when I read it. I first read it when I was in fourth grade. It went a bit over my head. I would say that it's for ages 12 abd up
Teen, 13 years old Written bySeashell137 December 27, 2010

Good for older teens, not for younger.

Sexual references are sometimes quite descriptive.

Kid, 12 years old April 14, 2009

Awesome!!!

One of the best books I have read except for a unneeded sex scene where Sabriel hears a couple in the hotel room next door. other than that, the content of the book was great. Rock on Garth Nix!!!!!
Teen, 16 years old Written byFantasyFiend12 March 20, 2010

A good book if you want something quick and original.

This book was not amazing, but perfectly enjoyable. I read it in a day and greatly respected the author for his originality. Necromancy has always been a great interest for me and I was thrilled when I found out that this is what the story is centered on (I didn't know that when I first got it) There is nothing to worry about for your kids. There is romance, but it's very subtle and there is no sexual scenes except for when Sabriel hears the couple next to her in an inn, but even then, it's not at all an issue. I have yet to read the next to in the series, but I'm sure they're perfectly fine as well.

Teen, 13 years old Written byTwinkleCher17 August 5, 2015

Loved it!

It's a very good book. I really loved the characters in it, especially Sabriel and Touchstone. But there's a part where there was a little sex reference. So those who are easily disturbed by this kinda things could skip the part. (it was fine with me though. It's only about a page or so.) Apart from that, it was a book I would recommend my friends to read :)
Teen, 13 years old Written byCatsrule13 April 12, 2011

Great book

Good for fans of magic books

Teen, 13 years old Written byKiki Long. February 18, 2010

Good Book But A Little Too Vivid.

I read this book when I was primary school by accident, it gave me the chills. But now looking back and I have read it again, it's a very good book. It's a bit on the violent/dark side for younger kids and also make sure you give your kid 'the talk' or atleast some of it, because there is a part of the book were Sabriel mentions that she went to her mother in the realms to ask about menstuation.

Teen, 16 years old Written bysavetheworld21 July 26, 2009

an incredible book!

I read this book when I was in fourth grade...so 9 or 10? But this series is truly great and it's basically what made me love books.

Teen, 14 years old Written byBiancaxx October 1, 2010

One of my favorites

This book is just soo .. perfect. Although, at first, I thought that the important aspects if the book were a little complicated. So, I don't really recommend those who don't really understand complicated materials. I'm talking to the tweens

Teen, 16 years old Written byEbola January 16, 2009

One of the better books I've read so far.

I absolutely adore this book. It's very individual, magic has boundaries, it's surprisingly believable for being so fantastic. Nix is wonderful when it comes to writing.
Teen, 13 years old Written byzolform April 9, 2008

Must read for everyone 10 and above.

wow! very good book. original plot and concept. some violence and "sex talk/sex references" but nothing that is offensive.
Teen, 17 years old Written byTym Avi August 12, 2017

Amazing book, but abstract topics

I loved this series, it is amazingly well written and shares the attention and description of detail as the Earthsea series (Check that out) the only issue is that the language is so mature and complex that it may go over younger children’s heads the sexual references aren’t even all that much, I just don’t want any children loosing the experience of this book just because they are younger.

Educational Value
Teen, 13 years old Written byAlidr1516 July 13, 2017

Great, but a little dark

This was an amazing book! I imagine if I had read this when I was 12 or younger I would be too dark for me and/or gone over my head. Sabriel was an awesome character, a strong independent woman, but not overly good at everything until it becomes unrealistic. I also LOVED Mogget. He had the best sense of humor! The one thing I would say is that the sex scene between a couple next door was unnecessary.

Teen, 14 years old Written byAnsle May 15, 2013

AMAZING!

I thought that tis book was amazing. The deatail in the action senes and the descriptions of charictors and places made you feel as if you were achily there. There was action, romance, magic and danger in this book whic i think that those items are the key to making a great book. At first i thought that it was goingto be a really boring book but I can't begin to tell you how wrng i was. in my opinion its one of the best books that i have eve read. I recomend this book to everyone.

Kid, 11 years old November 26, 2009

A great book, that is for mature kids

This is a great book. It is a great series to read after you read Harry Potter, Eragon, etc... There is a lot of action, and awesome magic in it, but the magic takes a bit to learn, and to figure out. It is for mature kids, definitely. I reccomend getting the whole series in one book, that is made up of Sabriel (Book 1), Lirael (Book 2), Abhorsen (Book 3), and it includes an extra book called Nicholas Sayre and the Creature in the Case, and it goes with the story also. Overall, Sabriel is a great book, and I would reccomend it to anyone 11 and up.

Teen, 14 years old Written byveve202020 June 2, 2009
Teen, 16 years old Written byWhy_her658 April 9, 2008

I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!

This was an amazing book that i have reread many times and should be a read that everyone should continue to read throughout the ages.
Teen, 17 years old Written byBru April 9, 2008

The Best Book I'be Read Lately

This is one of the best books I have ever read and highly recomend it to all other teens my age. Well yeah there's a little bit of sex but thats the way of life. If your religion has issues with death then i highly advise that you do not read Garth Nix's; Sabriel, it won't do you any good.

A MUST READ FOR ANYONE WITH A BRAIN!!

This fantastic book blew me away with adventure and action. Any sap with half the sense of a pine needle will read the sequels, but not Across the Wall. Rock on Sabriel!!