All parent member reviews for Scott Pilgrim Series

Parent of a 8 and 9 year old Written byscott pilgrim November 28, 2010

My kids love it. It is a fav in my house.
Adult Written byFilmManiac August 4, 2011

Possibly one of the best graphic novel series

I think that the "Scott Pilgrim" series is possibly one of the best graphic novel series ever written. I even dressed as Ramona Flowers for Halloween! But I am more than just a fan, I appreciate Bryan Lee O'malley and all the small genius touches and hard work he put into these fantastic graphic novels. How I think I disagree with Common Sense is that I think the series is more inappropriate then the movie, because there is more time in the 6 books to put mature behavior. The first 3 books are pretty appropriate, with cartoon/video game style violence, 1 underwear scene (but more the mention of sex), light swearing and several gay characters (one gay character sleeps in the same bed as a straight character, but they are roommates and just friends and nothing ever happens). In the last three books the mature content gets heavier. Scott and his girlfriend move in together (unmarried) and sleep in the same bed. Instead of just drinking in bars, in the last three books several characters get drunk. While drunk, a girl Kim (straight) makes out with a girl named Knives (also straight) and Kim again while drunk makes out with Ramona, who is currently dating and living with Scott. In the first 5 books the violence is not really an issue, but in the sixth book the last fight in the series is very bloody. Knives (not the character) are stabbed into the hearts of characters, and Scott even dies, but magically returns back to life.Though the only death is by Gideon, he is an villain and his death is not gory. The book does deliver good messages. Even though Scott is not very likable in the 1st book, over time you see he is a good person who truly loves his girlfriend and cares for his friends. Scott Pilgrim series is fun, hilarious, romantic, action packed, and just great. I encourage you to go and read it.
Parent Written bybookade June 14, 2014

totally inappropriate for children

This story has plenty of sex and sex references. It has a lit of drinking, drugs and smoking. It dipicts what the life of a 22/23 year old is but in reference to people who party and are permiscuous. Not the kind of role model I want my children to have. Some people do live their lives that way, but it's not the normal way and its not the way I want my children thinking you should live your life as a 22 year old. Anyone who says this is appropriate for kids has no self respect or respect for their children. I'm not saying its a bad series for adults. I am only referring to children.