Kid reviews for Second Chance Summer

Teen faces dad's death, former crush in beautiful story.

Based on 1 review

Teen, 13 years old Written bydonald_duck December 11, 2016

Teen, 14 years old Written byseermist1397 May 24, 2016

Sweet and Simple

It has romance in it but it isn't graphic. It swore some, but not a lot. It is about a teen returning to her summer cabin for one last summer with her dad who is dying of cancer, after 5 years ago when she left out of the blue without telling her friends. It is sad, but sweet. Not an action book but is simple, fun, and heartfelt. Matson also wrote Since Youv'e Been Gone, which was even better.

Teen, 13 years old Written bymalibumidge November 9, 2014
Teen, 13 years old Written bylei818 May 11, 2020

Teen, 14 years old Written bymecha04 May 8, 2019

Nostalgic and Meaningful

I never (ever ever ever) cry reading books. Rarely, I will cry in movies, but books, no. This book made me bawl. It has such a sad meaning and plot, but the book is almost philosophical and optimistic. I really loved it. Definitely in my top 5 favorite books, and definitely a must-read. It really reveals how we all should make the most of time. You never know what is going to happen tomorrow. Or next week, or next month, or next year. You never know. It really put's into perspective how families suffer when one has cancer. Wow.

Teen, 13 years old Written byHermione1413 April 12, 2018

Fabulous

This is an emotional, authentic, beautiful book. Its value should not be diminished. The romance is realistic and adorable, but the best part of the book is in the family, especially Taylor's connection with her father and her struggle to accept his inevitable death. Unlike many cancer stories, this book is not depressing and bleak: Taylor finds happiness despite all of her suffering. Morgan Mattson obviously understands teens and has some experience with losing a loved one to cancer. I cried and cried. Very relatable, especially for anyone who has experienced loss.

Teen, 13 years old Written byEyes-To-The-Sky February 15, 2018

Second Chance Summer

This novel is a heartbreaking, tear-jerking, exciting masterpiece. Taylor (the main character) struggles through the last summer she will have with her father before his cancer takes his body completely. She and her family go back to their beach house to have some time together. But between that, Taylor gets tangled up with her ex-boyfriend' and an ex-friend. Her journey is remarkable and I strongly recommend this to teens looking for a good read.

Teen, 13 years old Written byreviewergurl January 16, 2018

I was crying

I have only cried a few times when I read or watched a movie. I was crying when I read this book. It's such an amazing book, I can't even find the words to describe it.
Second Chance Summer is about 17 year old Taylor, who's father is dying of cancer. He decides to spend his last days at their old beach house on Lake Phoenix, where they haven't been for 4 years. When they get there, Taylor ends up having to fix her relationships with her friends and family.
It sounds like a really cheesy book. However, it's not. Matson's writing is wonderful. The characters are likeable, it's actually a sadly realistic situation, and the story is a perfect combo of romance, humor, and tragedy. I recommend this book to any tween 12+ for making out, and dealing with loss.