Teen, 15 years old Written byMisty waterfall January 4, 2011

Perfect for older kids

IT WAS A GREAT BOOK. There was some violence so dont let young kids read the book. I love dogs so dog books are good for me.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysqwert90 October 7, 2014

worst book i've ever read!

this book was the worst book i've ever read. my whole class had to read it for an assignment. almost everone in the class complained about grammar. it obviously wasn't edited very well,and who wants to read about "a young boy going against a scary(HA) man to save an abused dog? wort book ever DON"T READ THIS BOOK OR TRILOGY!
Kid, 11 years old March 21, 2013

do whats right not wrong

i think this is a book that is saying dont abuse animals take care of them it is a good thing to do for you and your pet.
Kid, 11 years old May 7, 2011

Good for all ages

Well Marty is trying to save this poor beagle from getting hit and/or beat by Jud.The second time that Shiloh comes to Marty's house Marty makes a pen in the woods and lies to Jud, his mom, and his dad.
Kid, 10 years old February 8, 2010

e.g. Perfect for tweens, but no younger

I loved thsi book so much. I think that the bad words and drinking would make it for ages 10+. It was excellent other than that. I am actually writing a book review for this. Give me any ideas!
Kid, 11 years old September 20, 2010

a good but slihgtly innapropriate classic.

Ive always hated classics, but i LOVE THIS! I read it in class which i dont think is a good idea for our age group, because Marty is decitful and lies a ton, and it is sad in parts, and there is some violence like a guy kicing his dog and mention of a shot dog, along with 4 h words and 2 d words and mention of beer and tobacco.
Kid, 9 years old October 25, 2013

I was surprised.

I was surprised because it had a man drinking,tobacco and their was also a couple of bad words, shooting and blood.
Kid, 8 years old August 10, 2012

Fine, not a cliffhanger

It's okay, but I wasn't like OMG! This is the best book ever! I was more like, It's okay. There is guns, mean people who do not show a good example. And if you read my reviews on Divergent and Hunger Games, you'd be like, "This is coming from that girl who enjoyed The Hunger Games and Divergent?". But really! This is a sad book, and to me, not very many happy parts! But what makes me happy, is that a boy tries to protect a dog, from its mean old owner.
Kid, 10 years old June 7, 2012

The review, the dog, and the truth

Shiloh is approprite but there is drinking violence if your a parent that dosent let there child learn about this stuff then dont but for the parents that let them this book is amazing.
Teen, 16 years old Written byhobochicken March 12, 2012

it is an awesome book

i think this book is very good but there is some language in it and a little violent there is smoke make some bad words not the f or b word not to bad it is a curse over all it's a good book
Kid, 9 years old April 3, 2010

Tweens (8-12)

Very good. We read it for school and I love it . Marty ( the boy) Lies alot though out the story. Judd is always chewing tobbaco and drinking . It's a very good story Tweens everywhere should read this great book.
Teen, 14 years old Written byavidcritc November 26, 2008

ok...

i see what adults see in it. it's morally complicated, has a great lesson, they all live happily ever after, bla bla bla. but honestly, it's written in the voice of an olden-day farm boy that doesn't add to it at all. if anything, it detract from hoe good the book really is.
Teen, 14 years old Written bythereviwer September 19, 2016

very good

good for a family reading or a bed time story
Teen, 16 years old Written bycrystal li November 1, 2011

TOO MUCH WORDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

too much words and the story is too long for kids to read the whole entire book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kid, 10 years old July 29, 2010

A great twist on a true story.

Judd is a violent, bad-mouthing drunk, but how far Marty will go to get Shiloh and save him from Judd is amazing.
Kid, 12 years old July 16, 2010
Kid, 9 years old June 18, 2010

A Great Book

LOVE IT!!!!!!!
Kid, 11 years old April 24, 2010

Attitude Problems, Marty?

Well, I had to do this book on my book report this semester and I LOVED it. It has small parts that might make you cry, and Marty had a strong character, like he was just awesome in the book. Not the best role model for younger kids, so its more in the range of ages +9. The language and smoking things are nothing. Lol I've read better books though.
Kid, 10 years old February 2, 2010

Shiloh is good

I rilly like it.It has some bad language like dammit.
Kid, 10 years old January 17, 2010

An ok book...

i had to read this book for school, and i thought it was very boring. it could just be that i like adventure books better, but there were times when i felt myself falling asleep while reading. this is just my opinion though, a lot of my classmates loved the book.