All parent member reviews for Shiver

Parent of a 10 year old Written byTeacherlady10 January 21, 2010

WATCH OUT PARENTS!!!

As a high school English teacher I was shocked, disappointed and actually horrified at the glamorization and romantization of inappropriate sexual behavior between these teenagers. What are you reviewers thinking about using the word "tastefully"? There is no such thing as tasteful sex between teenagers. Have we all lost our minds these days?
Parent of a 2, 4, and 16 year old Written byxoxoChelseaBeth February 15, 2010

Wow, why listen to a 50 year old who isn't effected by these books?

I am Hollie. I am 16 and on my mom's account. Let me tell you, from a true 16 year old, that this book is not that bad. It didn't make me want to sneek boys into my room without my parents' knowledge and then have sex with them. This is a romance story and I loved it. I really did. In my opinion, the parents that are on here saying that there is too much sex and love, need to learn how to raise their kids better, because if they sneek boys into their rooms and have sex with them, it isn't because they read about it in a book. It is because the parent needs to do a better job at talking with their kids. Just to let you know I have read this book 5 times all the way through, and I loved it! This is coming from a true 16 year old girl. That's who you should listen to. Not the parents on here that think reading about sex in a book will make their kid go get pregnant.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 September 5, 2012

shiver

Families can talk about what it is that makes Grace and Sam so drawn to one another. When Sam transforms from human to wolf, will he retain what it is that makes Grace love him? What is unique about humans that sets us apart from other animals? What can we learn about ourselves from observing and interacting with animals?
Adult Written bychloesaunders August 14, 2010

great werewolf book

its a pretty good werewolf book. people should read this book.i liked it a lot.
Parent of a 3, 6, and 9 year old Written byNikkiHobbs June 19, 2010

Romance/ Supernatural/ Love story/ Wolves

Once I started this book I could not put it down, it's a fast read. I LOVED it! The characters are loveable, you just want everything to go their way and turn out right. It was a different take on werewolves.The wolves were just so mesmerizing. The book showcased, neglect from parents, Abuse, friendship, bonding, there is just so much emotion in this book. There is a little violence, a small sex scene, but for the most part it's just a breathtaking love story. I loved the switching back and forth between Grace and Sam's pointofview, it's nice to know what both main characters are thinking. The Author is amazing! I think Maggie Stiefvater has one of the most beautiful writing styles. I was lucky enough to get to read an ARC of Linger and the second book is just as amazing as the first! You will not be dissapointed!
Parent of a 13 and 17 year old Written byReni July 1, 2010

I loved the book!!
Parent of a 2 and 3 year old Written byreadresponsibly June 4, 2010

Beautifully written, not appropriate for young teens

Maggie Stiefvater is an incredible writer, uses metphors beautifully, and really pulls you into the story. The story, I thought, was good. However, as a parent I would also have to agree with the other parents: I didn't like that Grace and Sam slept together throughout the novel in her bedroom. (I didn't like it in Twilight either.) I didn't like the teenage sex. And so, would I call Grace a good role model? Probably not.
Parent of a 3, 5, 7, and 9 year old Written by6whittingtons November 20, 2009

I enjoyed this book and it's unexpected turn with the secret community of werewolves. It was a sweet first love kind of romance story that was a touch sad at times. This book examined abuse and neglect by parents. It also tackled issues of fitting in, friendship and what makes a family. As a parent I am not excited about books where the kids sneak around and deceive their parents. But, in this case it can give opportunity to talk with your kids about honesty and sexual boundaries. Sam and Grace do have sex, that is not described, but before that Sam hides out in Grace's room sleeping with her each night without her parents knowledge. The good points outweigh the bad for me in this case. If romance/supernatural stories interest your older teen then this book is a good choice.
Parent of a 15 year old Written byitalian588 November 1, 2009

Terrible.Pointless.Hormonal Teens.

Ok. With all due respect, THIS IS THE MOST TERRIBLE BOOK I HAVE READ. I have read Twilight and that compared to this is a masterpiece. Sorry but there is NO chemistry between the two. It seems like normal teenagers who cant control their hormones and I got extremely bored with it. I read up to where they made "love" if you can even call it that and then I seriously threw the book lol.