Kid reviews for Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda

Sweet tale of gay teen who comes out, takes chance on love.

Teen, 13 years old Written byTheofficefanati... November 28, 2018

Best book ever but a little mature.

This is a GREAT book for kids over 13 or for mature 11 or 12 year olds. This book has some swearing with a lot of usage of the f word. Also, there is talk about ‘fantasizing about sex’ or ‘going hard’ but those are the worst sexual refrences in the book. Also Simon gets bullied and harassed at school for being gay and people talk about anal and oral sex. Other than that, the book is a great representation of being a gay teen in high school. Simon is not stereotypically gay and isn’t ashamed of it. He has a supportive family and is a realistic character that many people can relate to. It is amazing to finally see someone like me in a book and to be represented. (Even though I’m lesbian). Anyone who reads this will fall in love with blue and Simon’s relationship. If you enjoyed carry on by rainbow Rowell or everything, everything by Nicola yoon you will enjoy Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda. One warning: if you read this book you will definitely get a craving for Oreos!

Teen, 15 years old Written bydepressedeggo January 17, 2019

Made me cry

I am personally a closeted member of the LGBTQ+ Community, and this book really spoke to me. Simon can be relatable to some kids. There is your daily helping of swearing, but that just makes it feel more real to kids. And there are also some... er... other moments. The blackmail really plunged into the story, and added more to the story. I finished reading it an hour after I bought it, and cried a few times because of how much I could relate to the stories and being harrased by other students because of sexual orientation. I highly reccoment this book to anyone who wants to read it.

Teen, 13 years old Written byTheAnonymous1 December 26, 2018

MY (2nd) FAVORITE BOOK

I stayed up really late reading it. I absolutly love it and am so glad I did. I LOVE it. I don't really know what else to say. Everyone else already said it. I LOVE THIS BOOK very very much.

Teen, 13 years old Written byJdimat65 March 1, 2020

Great Book

This is an amazing that shows the effects your actions can have on other people. Mild Language and minor sexy stuff.

Teen, 13 years old Written byel c February 7, 2019
I think this is a great book with great characters. My one sort of warning is that there is a lot of swearing in it.

Teen, 14 years old Written byNemesis January 23, 2019

Love, Simon

This a great story cause it discusses many teen/ya topics like friends, love, and sexuality. It encourages teens (people) to be themselves. Lovely eding which left me smiling for a long time.

Teen, 13 years old Written byIsob November 24, 2018

Teen, 14 years old Written bytswizzle November 10, 2018

I love this book!

I read this book all in one sitting. It was really funny and really powerful. While nothing too terribly inappropriate happens, I still recommend waiting till you’re a bit older to read this.

Kid, 9 years old April 25, 2018

Wonderful story for mature teens

Simon VS. The Homo-Sapiens Agenda is the story of a gay teen finding the courage to come out. It’s a great book, but for mature teens only. There are: educational value, great messages, mostly good role models. But here’s where the mature stuff comes in: the main character is blackmailed because of his sexual identity, characters eMail and talk to each other about sex (“people sneak in to that room to have sex” and “Reese’s are better than sex” and “stop talking about sex”), teens get drunk, and there is WAY too much cursing. Once I found eight curse words on one page, 5 of which were the f-word and variations. And there is consumerism, but that’s never really a huge deal in books. Don’t get me wrong, this is a GREAT book and the mature content won’t change your mind,but this is a book for teens only.

Teen, 13 years old Written byElliott Encased December 26, 2017
Simon vs. the homosapien agenda is the most well thought out, heart felt and captivating book i have ever read; the relationship between Simon and Blue is truly mesmerizing. this book jumps straight in so theirs no time needed to get into it, after the first paragraph your already invested. this book is so hard to down once started, I wasn't even able to, i sat reading this book for 8 hours straight and I can truthfully say that there was never a dull moment not a second it was ever felt like it to be an option to stop reading. I do say that this book had me giggling throughout and on the brink of tears on a multitude of situations. I dont think I have ever read a book that I have ever related to on a higher level then this. MUST READ!

Teen, 15 years old Written byCate x September 8, 2017

Sweet storyline and relatable characters

This book was honestly so gorgeous. Simon is a beautiful main character, loveable yet undeniably flawed. Genres include Romance, Young Adult, Mystery and LGBTQ+ Fiction.
Sexy stuff: Simon imagines kissing the boy he likes while he is masturbating (nothing graphic), Simon and another boy send each other suggestive emails.
Language: Quite a bit, but what can you expect in a Young Adult novel?
Great role models: Simon has wonderful friendships and family relationships and is brave enough to put his heart on the line by the end of the book.
Educational value: Simon's struggle with coming out is very real and shows how hard it is for young LGBTQ+ people.
Great messages: Simon is true to himself, his friends are completely supportive of the fact he is gay.

Teen, 14 years old Written byCat006 July 30, 2020

New Favorite Book!

Just finished book today! Amazing book for teens. However; there is quite a lot of swearing.

Teen, 15 years old Written bybadcopgoodcop July 8, 2020

One of my favourites

I mean, I'm biased, but this is the book I think that got me into reading. I think it's perfect, and I just can't put into words how much I love it. I read this in three days, probably the fastest I've ever read a book, it was a road trip and my eyes were just absolutely glued to this book. Kinda broke my heart when Martin exposed Simon, I like that he's kinda forgiven in the successor to this book though.

Teen, 13 years old Written byGilmoreGirlsFan July 5, 2020

THIS

I really, really, really enjoyed this book. It keeps you hooked while also telling a very interesting story. Realistic fiction is my favourite media genre and this book did a great job at portraying things in an intriguing yet still down-to-earth way. If you read the back, you will realize that this book includes LGBTQ+ representation. Get on board. There is swearing and dirty jokes, as well as implied masturbation (something like "well, my left hand cups my cheek. My right hand is occupied", I don't remember it word for word). It's definitely worth reading. I enjoyed this series a lot.

If you are wanting to pick up the rest of the series, I think all of the books are good. If I had to critique one thing, Albertalli went a bit overboard on representing LGBTQ+. There were very few straight characters at the end of Leah on the Offbeat.

Read it. It's great.
Teen, 13 years old Written byreadergirl11 June 29, 2020
I read this book a while ago, so I don't remember all of it, but I remember that I was fangirling over it for WEEKS. It was such a cute book, and though there's a little mature stuff, anyone over eleven should be able to read this. Or, if your eleven year old is mature, they should be fine. Awesome book.
Teen, 13 years old Written byjust your avera... June 17, 2020

Hi

As a pan teenager think this is a great movie to watch with your lgbtqiap+ kids to help them feel included.

Kid, 12 years old June 13, 2020

AMAZING. Deserves the fifth star.

This book should be worldwide required reading. It's YA at its best.

As for what age you should be to read it, I think twelve is pretty good. I read it about a week after I turned eleven, but I'm pretty mature when it comes to books. It's a good introduction to young adult literature. It doesn't really go farther than kissing and some light discussion, which shook me a little at such a young age, but as far as YA goes, it's rather appropriate. There's plenty of swearing, but the only time some thing truly offensive (a homophobic slur) shows up, it is put in the light it deserves: it's shown as truly offensive.

This book is wonderful in ways far too difficult to put into words. Yes, in today's world, it's far from revolutionary and slightly dramatized. But it was written in, and takes place in, Georgia in 2014. And the message transcends generations. I personally believe that this book almost singlehandedly made my best friend feel okay about coming out.

The romance in this currently tied for my favorite literature couple of all time. It may not be 100% realistic, but that's the magic of books. It's so well written, and worth rereading a thousand times (which I might have actually done; I think I could recite this book). It's perfectly sweet and beautifully genuine.

This was the book that made me want to read YA. This was the book that made me see the world in a different light. This book changed my life.

Teen, 13 years old Written byBrandonrichards June 5, 2020

AMAZING, LOVED IT!

The movie was good but the book...WAY TOO GOOD. Some times it made me get emotional, some times it made me laugh. The book expressed emotions so well it was so easy for me to relate to the entire book. Everyone should read this book, especially teens.

Teen, 13 years old Written bybookallnighter April 23, 2020

Very Intriguing

I think its a great coming of age story. That really shows that bullying is a very bad thing. The story almost shows a perspective of what its like to be bullied for who you are, or about something they can’t change.

Teen, 13 years old Written byPiedPiper January 10, 2020

GREAT BOOK

Super cute, heartfelt book.