Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Smile

Delightful graphic novel follows teen girl's teeth troubles.

Adult Written byillolibro November 28, 2012

I recommend reading the book yourself before you give it to anyone under the age of 12.

While there is a positive message to be gotten from this book, that one need not accept bullying and disrespect, I would caution there is talk of the effects of puberty, a mother tells her daughter she needs to buy a bra, and the kids play spin-the-bottle, just so you know.

Adult Written bysixthgradefun April 2, 2016

Cute book that's relatable for kids

Kids can relate to the characters in this book. The typical parts of growing up--how to accept others, how to get along with friends (or deal with a mean friend), etc. Younger kids will like that this book "gets" them while slightly older kids (13 or so) will find it a great, quick read.

Adult Written byemilyo January 6, 2015

Awesome book could not put it down

Great book ,great everything but if your sensitive to blood and gore I don't recommend it ,I adored it couldn't put it down .

Adult Written bySydney C. September 23, 2017

Great book, but make suggestive themes abnout boys

As the main reveiw may not mention, there is a lot of boy drama. Although his story will teach kids how to deal with change in life, it may make tweens feel like they need to worry about boys and grow up too fast.
Parent Written byBraedon P. August 13, 2017

Smile

This book was so amazing!But it does include puberty(it says for growing chest)kids do play spin the bottle and have to kiss someone Raina has a crush and has a dream kissing him.This book includes some violence and blood and a scary scene.There is bullying such as pulling a girls skirt down(actually visible)and has consumerism such as A Nightmare On Elm Street and Apple phones. PG-13 For violence throughout,bullying,and some sexual content

Parent Written bySara B. August 23, 2017

Loved by my 8 year old

We loved this book. There is a lot of big kid stuff going on in the book but it's well written and was fine for my 8 year old. The only part that gave us pause was the mention of the dad being the tooth fairy.
Parent Written byAnne S. April 26, 2018

Be aware of mature content

It's a cute enough story about a girl and her issues with braces. However, the book has intrigued a younger audience than is appropriate. My 2nd grader came home with this book from the school library. I looked through the book and was shocked to see: 1) a spin the bottle game at a party 2) friends giving the girl a make-over that included shaving her legs in order to wear short skirts and fish net stockings 3) dreaming of a first kiss 4) mean friends that ridicule each others looks 5) dreaming of ways to get a boy's attention The morale of the story is good - she ditches the mean friends in the end but there are some really harsh moments that she goes through.

Parent of a 5, 8, 10, and 13 year old Written bysophie s. March 4, 2018

smile review

As a parent I think this book is wonderful it has educational value, great messages and great role models.

Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byHendo H. U January 13, 2018
Adult Written byI’mhellagay June 27, 2018

It’s a great book

I would definitely give this book to a young child, it seems to give a positive message to young children attending school and attempting to form them self into a person they feel comfortable in.

Adult Written bylibrossontmagni... January 19, 2019

Great and easy read, can be very relatable to many young readers

This book definitely talked about many topics that many young readers will encounter! Recommended for the following grades: 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th. Scenarios such as going through puberty, having a crush, day dreaming of kissing a crush, mean friends who laugh at and make fun of the main character, bullying, and parties where spin the bottle is played. As well as very detailed scenes of dentist visits that include lots of pain and some blood. However, its a great and easy read! Also, a great opportunity for young children to learn of an experience that a middle-school aged child can go through and how they can stand up to bullies.

Adult Written bynoahstrangerhea... November 25, 2018

good,but a little offs

i think this book is great and kids can definitaly relate to it but this book is about a teen girl and this book has thinks like blood Raina dreaming about kissing a boy ,her mom telling her she needs a bra ,and spin the bottle and boy drama a lot too you can't forget about it and also there is bullying aswell.