All teen and kid member reviews for Smile

Kid, 11 years old May 24, 2013

Love this book!!!

I LOVE this book! It is just so good that you can't not read. Great for boys and girls, which is nice because many books for tweens are for only one gender. She has a similar life to me, I had the same tooth problem but without braces. It teaches you lots about dental work and how to deal with situations.
Teen, 13 years old Written byuma013 July 14, 2015

Very good with iffy parts

I think this graphic novel is great, but with iffy parts. Raina knocks out her 2 front teeth, Friends bully her about her teeth and parts of her appearance, can`t decixde which of two boys to like, is pantsed, but thankfully has leggings underneath, makes new friends in the end, major earthquake. Positive messages: Raina teaches us how to stand up for what we have and what happens to us. Positive role model: Raina is a great person who dxoes not let her ``friends'' get into her life and stands up to them. educational message: Raina teaches you about how braces work. Violence: Knocked out teeth, bullying. Sex: Raina isx pantsed in front of the whole school. Comunerism: Mcdonald`s, becomes popular with a sequel: Sisters. Drinking, drugs, and smoking: that we all know of, not really. Language: Frequent use of stupid, swearing changed to symbols, once.
Kid, 11 years old January 5, 2014

Good, But A Tiny Bit Gory!

I read this after I read Raina's other graphic novel, Drama, which I liked very much. I liked it a lot, but you should really keep this book away from sensitive kids! The part where Raina loses the tooth itself is moderate with blood, but there is one part later on in the book with a heck of a lot of blood, where Raina gets drilling in her teeth and there is so much blood and pain that she faints. A tornado hits Raina's town. She gets caught up in a love triangle between a younger boy and the older new guy and dutches her date at the dance, making for a mildly negative dating message. Her daydreams of the younger boy holding her are mildly sexual.Raina is a strong character and an overall positive role model.
Teen, 17 years old Written byES9803 May 6, 2015

Very good book about a teen girl's life changing

This book is very good. There is blood from when the main character knocks out her teeth, and there is some more blood, bruises, black and blue gums later on. This book also shows a girl shifting into high school and some troubles that were faced.
Kid, 9 years old February 1, 2016
Teen, 14 years old Written bygilgamesh October 4, 2015

Gosh this writer knows how to write

This is possibly one of the beest books I ever read! Definently read it!
Kid, 12 years old December 16, 2015

Barbara Camarillo

The book smile is about Raina a normal sixth grade that need it braces. One day she got in an accident she was running and she fell knocking her two front teeth out. She went to the dentist really late; the dentist putted a white stuff. She did not go to school the whole week. When she finally went to school everybody was talking about what happened to her. The teacher asked what happened because everybody was curious. She said all what happened. That same day she went to the dentist again to take the white stuff out, when the dentist took it off he saw something went wrong, when she asked if she could see, she looked like a vampire. When she went to the girl a scout meting everybody was curious to see. She thought that she looked like a baby but the really thing that made her looked like a bay was her ponytails. Next day she went to endodontist . When she got to the endodontist she was shaking, they putted a laughing gas mask to do the surgery. She got a restroom break. They had to put a lot of shots because everything they did it hurt to her. The last thing they had to do was to fill the holes with cement; the cement was sealed with a read-hot metal tool. Days later, her whole family went to get pizza. Her birthday was coming and the only thing she want it was to pierce her ears. Her mom tried to convince her to not to pierce her ears but she wanted really badly. Next day when she went to the dentist, they told her that she had to start wearing headwear on the night. The dentist made a mold from top and bottom of her mouth. Her birthday arrived; all her friends got her earrings. When she went to the orthodontist they finally putted her braces. Everything she did it hurt it a lot. Next day she went to the theater with her dad and brother, when they came back she went to get her ears pierce. Next day she went to her best friend’s house, all they did was to talk about boys. The last day off school she gave to her friend Nicole her year book so she could sing it, the only thing she putted was ‘’have a nice summer vampire’’ She had a pretty normal summer as always she also got her headwear. She was really mad about it but when she saw herself in the mirror she saw pimples in her face. Next day she went back to school. She was in her first period talking to her friend about all her classes. When she went to seventh period witch was band. She saw a cute sixth grader. He was wearing braces too. She kind of like him. When she got to her house she was practicing with her instrument that was killing her fingers. When she was about to do her homework, she started to watch the TV. When she was going to ask something to her mom something really bad happened. An Earthquake started. When they tried to see the news they remembered that the power was out. When they got out the house she saw all her neighbors. While there were hearing the radio they heard that an accident happened. They were preparing to sleep the night on the living room then her dad came. The electricity was back so they saw the news, they did not went to school or work. Next day she went back to school, they were just taking it easy even the teachers .When she got to the last period the sixth grade boy sammy was trying to ask her out but she had an orthodontist’s appointment. Wile she was going back to her house she was talking to her mom that she was ok with all the braces stuff and everything. The following weeks when her friends found out who she likes she started telling everybody. When they went to the dentist they tell her that her teeth’s aren’t responding to the treatment. They take a tooth out so they could do a temporary set of fake teeth. She was so distracted about her teeth in everything. After that she went to see a Disney movie, she fell in love with it, when she was talking about it in class a cute boy asks about the movie. Raina instantly falls in love with him. Weeks later they took her braces off so they could remove her two front teeth.
Kid, 10 years old June 4, 2016

a great book for kids growing up

It was a great book about raina growing up. She has a great personality .Once you start reading it you can't put it down. Because that's what happened to me when I read it . I recommend it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBetty L. August 31, 2013

Great story by a wonderful writer and artist!

This is a GREAT book! What is not to love about a realistic teen girl's journey through middle school and most of high school, figuring out who she is and who her friends really are. The story is about the author's childhood and teenage years. I also really love Raina's other graphic novels, such as DRAMA and THE BABYSITTER'S CLUB series. Read all of them!
Kid, 11 years old March 17, 2013

I like this book

I really like this book. Raina is a great person and cartoonist. This fun quick book is great for everyone.
Teen, 15 years old Written byethan11 April 28, 2016

Love it

Look I'm am a teenage boy and I love this book it truly is a good book for both girls and boys
Teen, 15 years old Written bystellar sky April 12, 2016

looooooove it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sooo good should totally read it
Teen, 16 years old Written bytaylorluver22 February 7, 2016

more for middle schoolers

Not only there are bloody scenes but there are also brief scenes of crushes and affection
Teen, 14 years old Written bykitty47 June 4, 2015

One of my favourite books when I was younger