Kid reviews for Son: The Giver, Book 4

Classic battle pulls quest quartet to exciting conclusion.

Kid, 12 years old July 9, 2013

My second-favorite book, some iffy stuff, okay for mature kids!

Well, first there's Claire giving birth, getting on a ship (that part's short but intense), losing her memory, and helping with dying and/or injured/sick people. THEN she climbs a cliff, nearly falls, gets mauled by a seagull (twice), and gets turned old by Mr. Trademaster himself, who also cut off another character's feet. Gabe-yes, the baby from The Giver-builds a boat, but it doesn't work! Old Claire is dying, so Gabe has to face the Trademaster on his own. That's all the violence I can remember. Either way, it's a GREAT conclusion! If you hated The Giver, which some people do, don't ever read this book, because Son is a sequel to it!
Teen, 13 years old Written byCarter Rose April 13, 2013

My Alltime Favorite book!

This is my favorite book of all time, and I read a lot of books! Dont read this book unless you have read all the books before it. It perfectly sums up all of the loose ends from the other books. A heartwarming story about a mother's search for her lost son. This is a must read!
Kid, 11 years old April 2, 2013

Son

Though it is appropriate for kids 9 and under, they may not be at the age where they will be able to process the important messages such as the idea that fighting back only makes war(or in this case Trademaster) stronger or that feelings are essential to human being.

Educational Value
Teen, 15 years old Written byAuthor221 March 19, 2013

Bound to Make any Parent Cry... Cry in Happiness

I really loved this book. I'm an avid reader and a huge fan of Lois Lowry. I read The Giver, Gathering Blue, and Messenger, and while I loved them all, I felt the story wasn't quite complete. The Giver had always been a favorite book of mine... until I read Son. This book tells of a young mother who gives birth to a baby, but the baby is stolen from her body and she is decertified from the job and assigned to work in a lab. She spends a third of the book trying to spend as much time as she can with her son when a local community member kidnaps him. She washes up on the shore of a small village after boarding a ship that was wrecked due to violent weather patterns in an attempt to follow the abductor. She suffers from amnesia and finds true love while recovering. There are a couple of small kisses. I think the things a parent should really be aware of, however, are when a character's feet are hacked off and another character is nearly killed during a sword fight, and is stabbed. Though the feet being hacked off and the fight are brief, they produce vivid images for the reader. One of the characters is truly frightening, being dressed all in black and hiding dangerous things beneath his outer garment. What I loved about this book, though, was the beautiful themes it provides regarding sacrifice, love, and hope. It strikes major emotional cords and causes you to want more, and maybe even tear up a little. The way it connects to the reader makes up for its minor flaws and shows a true message of hope.

Teen, 13 years old Written byKitkat515 February 2, 2019

Hooked

LOVED this book. I have read all the books in the Giver quartet and it is my favorite series. This book has some sexual content in it, especially in one scene. Other than that, this book is appropriate. I would recommend this book to tweens who want to read something and feel emotion.

Teen, 15 years old Written byBrigidArmbrust July 14, 2018
Teen, 13 years old Written byMoviegirl700 December 11, 2018

This and the first are the best!

A terrific book. It does not have swears, drinking, or too much violence. For mature tweens and teens, a must read. Violence: Talk of blood and some bloody descriptions, although not terribly graphic. Sex: Claire is a 12 year old birth mother. She gives birth at 13 or 14 and there are some descriptions of a painful birth, although by no means graphic. All in all, not too bad. Great for tweens and teens!

Teen, 14 years old Written byLd-read February 3, 2016

Great heart wrenching story

I read this book a year ago and decided it was amazing. Some reviews talk about how it is "inappropriate" for young teens but the parts that you may not want your kids to read are brief and are nothing compared to the good they will get out of reading this book. The beginning is a little slow, and it's a bit hard to get into, but soon it becomes impossible to put down. Claire (the main protagonist) finds love for her child that has been taken from her in a world where love has been forgotten. Claire leaves her life behind to find and protect her young son that she barely knows. I don't know how to explain what I felt when reading this book. I don't want to give away the ending, but although I am not a parent (I'm 13) I now feel like I know what it would feel like to love a child unconditionally. I am a naturally emotion person, but for the first time in my life, I cried of a feeling other than sadness or frustration. And it wasn't just "crying" it was sobbing so hard that I had to put the book down for a few min to get ahold of myself. I finished the book and then cried myself to sleep. If you like to feel emotions from the books you are reading (and especially if you are a parent) you will love this book. P.S. This book will be most appreciated after reading the other 3 books in the giver series, or at least The Giver, but it's a good book no matter what

Teen, 14 years old Written byRycbar12 May 10, 2014

Fantastic finale

I didn't care much for the first three books, but this was really great! I finished it in the space of I few hours because I was completely entranced. I think that the idea of a fourteen year old girl giving birth (through a c section) might be a bit hard to take even if they understand that the village has an odd way of doing things, but the author really doesn't go into detail about how it happened or really why it is weird. I really liked this book much more than I expected to because of the wonderful story and theme throughout!

Teen, 13 years old Written byCeci Joe January 28, 2014

Son- What You Need to Know

This book is really one of Lowry's most amazing masterpieces! Descriptions are vivid, fast-past, and its a real page-turner. Spreads a great message of sacrifice when Claire gives up her own youth to only watch her son play. Tear jerking. The only warning I might give to those thinking about reading this is that it is a VERY intense book, other than that, I highly recommend it for ages 12 and up.

Educational Value