Kid reviews for Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You

Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You Poster Image

An important book for everyone.

This is a great book, And I would highly recommend it for someone who would like to know more about these time periods and what we can do to stop racism.

Horrible Writing Style

Listen. I'm no idiot. I know the other 1 star reviews on here are from kids that haven't taken a proper history course that would tell them these things anyways, or from adults that think this book is emblematic of some wider educational indoctrination. But I don't really care about that. I don't need to argue with you about whether America was founded on racist ideals, that is a fact, not something to be debated. BUT This book presents these horrific topics in such an unreadable way. Because it claims not to be a history book, it doesn't go in depth about a lot of historical events, and doesn't provide citations for its claims. Okay, fine. A lot of the book is about interpretation, and for fairly well known things like the Civil War, you don't need a citation to prove it happened. And if this book was aimed at people above the age of 15, I wouldn't have a problem with the brushing over of more detailed parts of history. It should be assumed that at that age, a person knows enough to understand everything referenced in this book. BUT The issue is that this book is clearly not aimed at actual young adults. The way it is presented is both grueling and insulting. I could barely get through ten pages without having to roll my eyes at the author's ideas of what a "young adult" knows. On one page, he brushes over the Germantown Petition Against Slavery (which, by the way, he claims was written by Mennonites - it was actually Quakers. Takes one Google search), but then later in the book, feels he has to explain what the word "secession" means. Does he intend the book for people who know of the Germanton Petition, or for people who don't know the word "secession"? Those two are entirely different groups. The constant tone of condescension makes this book very difficult to read, and this is coming from a person who read Betty Friedan's The Feminine Mystique in one week. There is no data, there are no references, there is no academic tone. Regardless of audience, racism is no laughing, casual matter, and words like "oof" and "chillin'" should never, ever be used in reference to the suffering of millions of people. tldr; racism bad, book make good points about it. book bad because bad writing.

informational

this book is very informational and i feel like teens/highschoolers should read this book not really children 13 and under because they may not be mature enough to understand or the book may be to com-plexed for them.

Critical Race Theory

This book is a perfect example of critical race theory. I’m not saying that the theory is wrong, even if I don’t agree with it. It’s just that I think it’s not right teach kids about something like this theory and not teach them about the theory it’s self.

This is an amazing book

This book teaches students what schools will not. This book teaches about America's true racist past (and present). I recommend this book!

Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You.

I think it is a phenomenal book, Ibram X. Kendi and Jason Reynolds, did an amazing job showing the blasphemy in early racism in America and how it still has been around today. It mainly focuses in early to mid-day American history in racism. It lists and talks about the early Racists, and even how the African-Americans, were duped by certain racist people. It really goes deep into how presidents in early America were quite racist, obviously certain presidents were anti-slavery and some even anti-racist. But I would recommend reading this book, it is extremely good, for a well-educated adolescent or teen this book will be right for you. As long as your anti-racist.

Great book!

Reading this book in school I find it very informative and it's terrible what people have done in the past.