Kid reviews for That Was Then, This Is Now

Teenagers love the gritty realism of this novel.

Teen, 14 years old Written bymayra April 9, 2008
Teen, 15 years old Written bybagelboy April 9, 2008
Teen, 13 years old Written byamsmlp123abc September 15, 2013

im 13

this was a school assignment for 7th grade and i loved it!!!!! Its about an adopted brother Mark and Byron who are best friends. They hustle,rumble, and smoke like all teen boys of this era but after hearing an incredible boys story about love not hate and no revenge Byron starts to change. Mark doesnt and Byron has some major inner struggles about what to do. The end was sad though Byron lost Cathy and Mark (as friends they didnt die ) and was wondering if he did it different what would have happened.

Educational Value
Teen, 13 years old Written bysarah_soda March 4, 2010
Well, definatly in comparrison to The Outsiders, the book was a small blimp on my chart of good books, but it wasn't servirly bad. This book does need a very mature mind reading it, due to the fact one child has a very bad LSD trip which is desribed VERY vividly (shouting 'The spiders kept coming into my stomache, showing me the colours, I never knew the colours were so bad. then they were eating the colours'), although it is not glorified it can be shocking to some because it is screeched out loud many times. Also, one boy sells drugs, claiming 'if they didn't get it from me they would have just gotten it from someone else', this boy is sent to jail. A man is shot by texans. Violence is a little extreme. A little bit of language, not sevirly bad. It is an okay book, and the main character does somewhat find the error of his ways in the end, but looses his best friend.

Teen, 13 years old Written byHermioneGranger03 September 2, 2017

Book for Mature Teens

I read this book after reading The Outsiders, the book S.E. wrote before this one. I didn't enjoy this book as much as The Outsiders, but it's hard to top that. This book has some violence, one man is shot in a bar and one character's parents killed each other in a drunken fight. The main characters are injured in some minor fights. The main thing in this book you should be cautioned about it drugs. One character becomes a drug dealer to earn money, and although he never takes it himself it ends up ruining his life. Lots of minor characters take the drug, and let another younger character take it. The results are not good, but the character survives. The effect that drugs have on people is never shown in a positive way, and S.E. Hinton makes sure of that. The main characters, Mark and Byron, are not great role models. Cathy, Byron's friend/girlfriend is a good person and is gentle and kind. I didn't enjoy this book very much. Maybe it was because I was expecting it to be more like The Outsiders. I recommend it for kids over 14 or 15. Even though I didn't love it, I think it does show how horrible drugs are, which is something people should realize in today's world.

Kid, 12 years old July 10, 2016

Okay.

This book was not at all a good sequel to the Outsiders. The book was very depressing in the end, and had a lot of drinking and drugs in it. It was an okay story up until the end. It was also pretty violent. Overall, not a very happy read.

Teen, 14 years old Written bybarbie13 April 9, 2008

i think this book is a must read!!! for all ages

this book is an awesome book! it contains many interesting things that these characters struggled with. you must read this to enjoy it...dont juge a book by its cover!!
Teen, 17 years old Written byyayitsamanda April 9, 2008

One of my all time favorites!

Just read it!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byDotty13 April 9, 2008

Great for teeens struglig with social and drug related problems

This was another of Hitons great books I have read both this book and The outsiders and found both intriging. I may only be 13 but i just loved these books and loved how she took everyday problems and made them extreme to make a wonderful and meaningful story

One of the most amazing books i've ever read!

This book is simply brilliant. I wrote not an issue for everything because i think that all the violence and drug abuse is VERY clearly shown in negative light. WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD: One kid nearly loses his mind(LSD and weed)one adult gets shot (gambling and violence) one kid ends up emotionally scarred (his brother was selling LSD to the kids who gave it to the kid who almost died)One kid ends up in a penetentiary (dealing brother.) Also it gives an honest look at the hippie era. Kids it wasn't really just people with long hair who talked about peace. Lots of drug abuse. Lots of free love. This book along with the Outsiders (always read the Outsiders first) has changed my life forever.
Teen, 14 years old Written by[email protected] April 9, 2008
Teen, 13 years old Written bycommensense777 June 22, 2017
Teen, 13 years old Written byPHILLIPO18 March 14, 2017
Teen, 13 years old Written byNomacop January 1, 2013

that was then, this is now

This book is amazing. It has a simple storyline with complex themes and topics. It was very thought provoking and sad at the end

Teen, 15 years old Written byChuckNorrisApproves December 12, 2011

Chuck Norris does NOT approve this novel!! >:(

This book was definitely not as good as The Outsiders..... it had a brutal plot, no exciting events, and basically, the weak messages that were given were getting old, because S.E. Hinton uses the same idea over and over again. I would say that this book is definitely NOT a must-read like The Outsiders, so to readers considering this book, pick another one!

Teen, 15 years old Written byswagsleek39 December 9, 2011

suck much

it sucked

Teen, 15 years old Written bylesleygg November 2, 2011

the plus side

Its a very good book and can educate kids about the effects of drugs.

Educational Value
Teen, 14 years old Written byroxychiclexi February 19, 2010

Great Entertainment Novel

I'm 14 and I absolutely loved this book! The characters change throughout the novel and in positive and negative ways. The characters are great and there are subjects like drugs, smoking, and alchohol, but they teach and discourage kids to not do these things in life. It is very realistic and very good! There are many connections from the Outsiders, but they are two different novels.

Teen, 14 years old Written byToads September 5, 2009

not so good in my opinion

Im 14 and I gotta say the Outsiders was way better. Kids arent stupid we know that using LSD one time wont completely f you up. Also whats with the depressing ending?
Teen, 17 years old Written byoctober1985 July 24, 2009