Kid reviews for That Was Then, This Is Now

Teenagers love the gritty realism of this novel.

Teen, 15 years old Written bycheetahlichious April 9, 2008

i lost all my tears

it was a book that i actualy read...and i would read it a hundred more timz if i didn't know it by heart!
Teen, 15 years old Written byChuckNorrisApproves December 12, 2011

Chuck Norris does NOT approve this novel!! >:(

This book was definitely not as good as The Outsiders..... it had a brutal plot, no exciting events, and basically, the weak messages that were given were getting old, because S.E. Hinton uses the same idea over and over again. I would say that this book is definitely NOT a must-read like The Outsiders, so to readers considering this book, pick another one!

Teen, 15 years old Written bylesleygg November 2, 2011

the plus side

Its a very good book and can educate kids about the effects of drugs.

Teen, 17 years old Written byyayitsamanda April 9, 2008

One of my all time favorites!

Just read it!!!
Teen, 17 years old Written bySofabanana May 28, 2020

Not as good as the Outsiders but still a must-read

I really enjoyed this book. It wasn't as good as the Outsiders but I still really enjoyed it and would suggest it to everyone. It is so realistic and shows the reality of being a teenager. I personally didn't like the ending (won't spoil it) but the rest of the book was very good.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheoutsider2019 April 7, 2020

Amazing, but for teenagers

I love this book! It really was a Fantastic book, but an un expecting ending. On one page I was mad at the book, and the next I was crying my eyes out. It was an amazing story, but probably for 14 and up. Overall this book made me feel so many feelings. (That goes for all of S.E. Hintons books though!) Truly a MUST READ!!! 5 stars!!

Teen, 14 years old Written byLemonee March 29, 2020
I could say a lot but I'll just do the TL;DR.
Every character was unlikeable, making connections impossible. Large parts of the plot were ignored. The plot and main conflict are almost abstract. It was anti-climatic, and frankly, doing a project on it is insufferable. If you're here checking it out for a school project, turn back now.
Teen, 13 years old Written byoof64 September 20, 2019

It's a good book and all, it's ending was just sad. Almost like a cliffhanger. I won't say anything else because it might spoil the book, but Bryon definitely makes some questionable choices.

Teen, 15 years old Written bygirl_guy May 21, 2019

Good

its a really good book but it has multiple plots instead of one plot but besides that its really good totally recommend

Teen, 13 years old Written byHermioneGranger03 September 2, 2017

Book for Mature Teens

I read this book after reading The Outsiders, the book S.E. wrote before this one. I didn't enjoy this book as much as The Outsiders, but it's hard to top that.

This book has some violence, one man is shot in a bar and one character's parents killed each other in a drunken fight. The main characters are injured in some minor fights.

The main thing in this book you should be cautioned about it drugs. One character becomes a drug dealer to earn money, and although he never takes it himself it ends up ruining his life. Lots of minor characters take the drug, and let another younger character take it. The results are not good, but the character survives. The effect that drugs have on people is never shown in a positive way, and S.E. Hinton makes sure of that.

The main characters, Mark and Byron, are not great role models. Cathy, Byron's friend/girlfriend is a good person and is gentle and kind.

I didn't enjoy this book very much. Maybe it was because I was expecting it to be more like The Outsiders. I recommend it for kids over 14 or 15. Even though I didn't love it, I think it does show how horrible drugs are, which is something people should realize in today's world.

Teen, 13 years old Written bycommensense777 June 22, 2017
Teen, 13 years old Written byPHILLIPO18 March 14, 2017
Kid, 12 years old July 10, 2016

Okay.

This book was not at all a good sequel to the Outsiders. The book was very depressing in the end, and had a lot of drinking and drugs in it. It was an okay story up until the end. It was also pretty violent. Overall, not a very happy read.

Teen, 13 years old Written byamsmlp123abc September 15, 2013

im 13

this was a school assignment for 7th grade and i loved it!!!!! Its about an adopted brother Mark and Byron who are best friends. They hustle,rumble, and smoke like all teen boys of this era but after hearing an incredible boys story about love not hate and no revenge Byron starts to change. Mark doesnt and Byron has some major inner struggles about what to do. The end was sad though Byron lost Cathy and Mark (as friends they didnt die ) and was wondering if he did it different what would have happened.

Teen, 13 years old Written byNomacop January 1, 2013

that was then, this is now

This book is amazing. It has a simple storyline with complex themes and topics. It was very thought provoking and sad at the end

Teen, 15 years old Written byswagsleek39 December 9, 2011

suck much

it sucked

Teen, 13 years old Written bysarah_soda March 4, 2010
Well, definatly in comparrison to The Outsiders, the book was a small blimp on my chart of good books, but it wasn't servirly bad. This book does need a very mature mind reading it, due to the fact one child has a very bad LSD trip which is desribed VERY vividly (shouting 'The spiders kept coming into my stomache, showing me the colours, I never knew the colours were so bad. then they were eating the colours'), although it is not glorified it can be shocking to some because it is screeched out loud many times. Also, one boy sells drugs, claiming 'if they didn't get it from me they would have just gotten it from someone else', this boy is sent to jail. A man is shot by texans. Violence is a little extreme. A little bit of language, not sevirly bad.

It is an okay book, and the main character does somewhat find the error of his ways in the end, but looses his best friend.

Teen, 14 years old Written byroxychiclexi February 19, 2010

Great Entertainment Novel

I'm 14 and I absolutely loved this book! The characters change throughout the novel and in positive and negative ways. The characters are great and there are subjects like drugs, smoking, and alchohol, but they teach and discourage kids to not do these things in life. It is very realistic and very good! There are many connections from the Outsiders, but they are two different novels.

Teen, 14 years old Written byToads September 5, 2009

not so good in my opinion

Im 14 and I gotta say the Outsiders was way better. Kids arent stupid we know that using LSD one time wont completely f you up. Also whats with the depressing ending?
Teen, 17 years old Written byoctober1985 July 24, 2009