Kid reviews for The Alchemyst: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel

Myth-based, modernized fantasy is nonstop fun.

Kid, 10 years old April 19, 2011

What the...

This book is downright confusing! I can't get this stuff! Why does it deserve Rebecca Caudill Award???? This goes for this book and all the others in the series.

Teen, 14 years old Written byGinnyWeasley1 July 5, 2020

It's okay I guess...

This book is not that good. The only thing that stopped me from returning it, was the fact that I am the kind of person who doesn't like to leave a character's story until I know what happens. Also, every book (except the last one) ends in a cliff hanger. This made me keep reading. It has three major plot twists in the last book and that's the most interesting thing. My favorite character is a VEGETARIAN VAMPIRE. I don't mean the Twilight vegetarian vampire (Twilight sucks, long live Harry Potter ;) I mean she actually eats fruits and vegetables... What?? You read it and find out for yourself. I would recommend it if you are bored and want to kill time. Try listening to the audiobooks!

Kid, 10 years old May 28, 2020

Mythology and More

The book had a great perspective on all types of mythology, and an interesting idea that all religions are one but the gods are interpreted differently. I thought this idea was great, but Mr. Scott needed to give more background on the teacher, Nicholas Flamel, and his wife, Perenelle. I also liked that right at the beginning there was a big action scene in the book, and it got me hooked into the story. It was creative, the way Mr. Scott portrayed Scathach and Hekate by saying things like “William Shakespeare was so strait forward and that he thought people would like his ideas.” And they didn’t make a big deal out of it, like most people would. Some things needed improvement like the idea that Sophie learns the magic of air in two minutes? That doesn’t make sense and it’s pretty sketchy. I would say that if you like mythology, fantasy, and magic you would like this book. The idea that it’s about Nicholas Flamel from Harry Potter is a great one, since J.K.Rowling doesn’t tell you much about him in the series.
Thank you for reading my review on “the Alchemyst.”
Teen, 15 years old Written byCuriouscat5 March 16, 2020
it's sort of like pjo series. great
Kid, 12 years old May 6, 2018

THE BEST BOOK I EVER READ!

This book, along with it’s series, was downright awesome. It follows up on The Harry Potter series, and is based on true events. Michael Scott does a fantastic job mixing myths and reality to create a fun-filled, action-packed book. I have just finished the second-last-book and it was fantastic! I know I’m a kid, and nobody likes listening to the views of the youth, but trust me, this is a book for people of all ages. THIS IS THE BEST BOOK AND SERIES THAT I HAVE EVER READ.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySlightlyCynical September 5, 2011

Deceptive and Ridiculous

This book looked both interesting and informative, so I picked it up at my local Barnes and Noble with the intent of having a relaxing few days to chill out and just read before school started.
The day I began reading, I noticed Mr. Scott obviously had a problem trying to incorporate humor into an action book, and I found myself struggling to read past page 70, constantly hoping it would get better. The description was redundant, the characters were cold, every action scene was extremely clichéd, and the dialogue was flat and rather forced. Actually, I find it positively insulting to Mrs. Jo Rowling that this book and the following is being equated to the incomparable Harry Potter series.
Props only for the original idea. This is an unusually needlessly complicated story line.
Quite frankly, I'm surprised and offended The Alchemyst is on a high school reading list. Please save yourself some pain and don't read this headache of a story.

Teen, 16 years old Written byLadyMoon April 23, 2019

A perfect Mix

This book in my own opinion is a very good book. With the mix of mythological creatures and events yet keeping in mind the time period and actually adding in real life people. The character development really gives this book a good side with people who are into story and the magic, plus the fantasy creature, is a good side for "high fantasy" readers.

Teen, 14 years old Written byMayberry June 15, 2018

The Alchemyst

My friends love this series a lot. Though, I do not like it. I do not like the story line. I would not recommend this to anybody.
Teen, 15 years old Written byAlex.Fierro April 17, 2018

Okay

It wasn’t one of the most interesting ones I’ve read, but I guess it’s okay. Not as good as Harry Potter. It rather reminds me of this other series I’ve read: ‘Fablehaven’. They alike because they mix mythologies. There are a lot of plot holes in them, but they are rather decent. There are also mentions of little known historical names mentioned. Names to look up.

Teen, 14 years old Written byThePurpleCat December 26, 2017

The Review

This book is filled with vivid battle scenes, great mythology, an amazing plotline, and great fantasy.

The characters, however, aren't well developed or realistic. Sophie and Josh are too powerful and not realistic. There isn't enough dialogue. So if you don't mind that, it's otherwise a great book.
Kid, 8 years old May 25, 2017

I couldn't put this book down!

This is an action packed book full of amazing heroines and mythological sidekicks and creatures. The book has a high suspense rate from the beginning. I found myself trying to figure out how these legends could be real and taking the book everywhere with me! Just keep in mind it will be scary for some people.

Teen, 13 years old Written byoirsi July 28, 2016

Just Another Fantasy

This book is nothing too special. Nothing exciting really happens and I wish I could punch Josh in the face a few times. It has some educational value, if whoever reads this is dedicated enough to but down the book and look up an Egyptian goddess. Still, this didn't keep me from reading the book in one sitting!

Teen, 14 years old Written byRebecca123 March 20, 2016

I, personally have been a fan of mythology from a very young age. I think this book series is wonderful. I combines all of the myths and legends from different parts of the world and create a fantastic story from them. The main characters likeable but at some points I wished I was able to think more clearly, as they were being very stubborn. The reason this I recomend this for older kids is that the weiting style is a little hard to understand at times. I found myself having to reread certain pages and chapters, as the author (Scott) put so much information into the book. I also found myself looking up the various charactors from history or mythology, to learn more about them, as details were vague.

Kid, 11 years old September 16, 2014

Pretty good

Good book. No problems with it. I liked it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byrebma97 January 14, 2014

Pretty good mythological adventure

This was pretty good. I guess it's similar to other adventure/fantasy novels, but I really liked how the author pulled out various gods and goddesses (which is also educational, if readers look them up). Violence: Lots of action, but, since the characters use magic, it's not bloody or gory in any way.

Kid, 11 years old December 10, 2013

THE BEST SINCE HARRY POTTER

This has all the thrill of Harry Potter, and moves at the perfect pace. Although, Harry Potter can't be recreated, The Alchemyst is the closest thing to it (that I have read). This should definitely be adapted into a movie. I just finished The Alchemyst last week, and I couldn't wait to get to the school library to get The Magician. I sent this as a nominee for the 2015 YRCA Awards, and I hope it wins!

Kid, 11 years old October 26, 2013

Awesome book!!!

This an AWESOME book for anyone who enjoys fantasy mythology. I really enjoyed it!

Kid, 11 years old December 6, 2012

AMAZINGLY AWESOME!!!!!!!

I read this book on holiday and couldn't put it down. once I finished it I straight away ordered the next 5. each book gets better and better until a great finish. Its quite a lot like harry potter but better. It has some great characters from myths and legend.overall a great book and I loved the ending of the last book.

Teen, 13 years old Written bygecko13 June 23, 2012

review

this book is very interesting and captivating. the book has a really good pace. the first battle you see is pretty hard to follow and way overdone but it quickly becomes understandable. As for the characters, nicholas flamel is a very interesting and mysterious character who is A grade material, his wife is a very strong individuel clearly stronger than nicholas, josh newman's character is kind of blunt and un-interesting, sophie newman is a very sweet interesting person, john dee is predictable, the morrigan is creepy and hekate is a strange dark character.
the storytelling is very complex and interesting.
But most of the action is either too fast or too slow
I try and imagine books as a movie and if you see it like that this would be pretty violent and scary--i say violent PG or a soft PG-13

Kid, 11 years old May 28, 2011

The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series is awesome!

I think this book was really good when I read it. I've also read the sequels The Magician, The Sorceress and The Necromancer. I am going to get The Warlock. I recommend this book to 11 years+! This is a really good series! This is also good for children who know a lot about mythology, or want to! My favorite character of this book is definitely the twins, Sophie and Josh Newman. I recommend you buy this book as you'll get hooked over this series!