Kid reviews for The Apothecary, Book 1

The Apothecary, Book 1 Poster Image

one of my favorite books

i had been in a reading slump for a couple of months, but this book got be out of it. i fell in love with all of the characters and the plot always kept me on my toes! i definitely suggest

Pretty good with only a few new vocab words (I'd give it a 4.5 if I could

I read this book last summer when I was 12 and the only words I had a hard time with was the British slang (sometimes pip's lines took a bit of effort too haha) I really liked how the story did shift its focus on the main plot just for the romance, the romance became a side part of the story which I really like in books.

Super Good Book

I loved this book so much! It has a love interest, but not anything to worry about, just a few kisses and that's it. A little violence, too, but not as much as some books. Adults should read this, too! I recommend this to teachers to put in their classrooms. It teaches kids about the Cold War while also telling kids about magic! One of the best things about this book is that the magic is not spells from a wand--it is potions and alchemy. The one of the main characters' father is an apothecary (pharmacist) but he really is an alchemist. Also, this book was written by Maile Meloy, the sister of Colin Meloy, lead singer in the Decemberists (best band EVER), who is married to artist Carson Ellis!!!!!!!!!!! CELEBRITY FAMILY! Also Colin Meloy writes books, too.

"Allow for the Possibilities": A Historical, Scientific, and Magical Book

I just read this book (not to mention the whole series) for the 2nd time about a week ago. There is nothing inappropriate whatsoever besides an innocent kiss. I love this book because it perfectly balances a historical fiction story with a magical, stunning underlying theme. And it totally makes sense! The "magic" isn't based on some mystical goblet that gives you powers, or whatever. Instead, it's based on science; more preciously, what COULD be true. As someone in the book says, we just have to, "Allow for the possibilities." Maile Meloy (the author) made the characters believable and the book is writen in a way that makes you want to meet Janie, Benjamin, Pip, Jin Lo, and the Apothecary in person. It's a delight to spend time in this world and I like this book the best out of the whole trilogy.

Amazing book!

This book is amazing! I love it because of the magic. It isn't one of those magic books that don't make sense. This book is even better than the Harry Potter series! It has some violence, but not as much as Harry Potter, so it's alright. It has a little bit of romance, but nothing to be worried about. The messages are great and this book taught me that anything is possible!

An amazing book, will quickly become a favorite!

When I read this book, I couldn't put it down! The Apothecary is a thrilling book full of exciting twists, fantasy, history (ish), and a little bit of romance (nothing too suggestive, appropriate for tweens and teens). The Apothecary takes us into the fantasy-like land of Janie Scott and Benjamin Burrows through Janie's point of view. I would recommend this book for ages 12+ because some younger ages might find it a little too violent and a little scary at times for their age.

One of the Best Book Series I've Ever Read!

I read this book when I was 11. I think that it could definatly be read by a 9-year-old or even younger, as long as their reading level is high enough.

gob smacked

this was amazing! I just picked this up because i had nothing else to read but wow! it is soooo good! it is very educational and worth reading!

Very good! Well written and exiting.

Iread this about a year ago . I have to say that this was the most amazing book I have EVER read. There is some romance but it is absolutely perfectly written for children. It is very educational and I felt very connected to the characters. I am so glad it is part of a series and I can't wait to read the next book.

Everyone should read this

I love this book! I've read it more than ten times. It's a great story about two fourteen-year-olds who want to save the world. It has a kiss and some bombing scenes, but other than that it's a pretty clean book. It is realistic with a bit of fantasy mixed in, which happens to be my favorite kind. Read it!