Parent reviews for The Best Christmas Pageant Ever

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever Poster Image

fun book in which children can picture themselves

It's funny, suspenseful, and holds a powerful lesson about people.

Family tradition

I read this to my kids every year. They are 11 and 14 now, so it has been several! They still look forward to it and laugh out loud in several parts. I still cry along with Immogene at the end when Christmas hits her. And it makes us discuss the Christmas story at different levels every year. It is one of my favorite things about Christmas. Share with your family! But keep in mind that no one is "perfect" in their book. Just gives you something more to talk about.

Take the Family to This Christmas Pageant

The Herdmans are the absolute worst kids in the history of the world. Okay, maybe not the world, but they're certainly awful. They lie, steal, hit, take the Lord's name in vain, cuss out their teachers, smoke cigars (even the girls), and wreak havoc wherever they go. So naturally, when they show up at church and volunteer to play the lead roles in the Christmas pageant, everybody thinks it will be a disaster. But narrator Beth Bradley's mother, who's subbing for the original director, is determined to make this the best pageant ever, Herdmans or no Herdmans. She actually succeeds--or rather, the Herdmans do it for her. You see, they've had no exposure whatsoever to church or the Christmas story. So what a lot of Pharisee-like church members see as sacrilege are actually valid points. Why would Mary be consigned to give birth to the Son of God in a barn--where's Social Services? Shouldn't somebody show Herod who's boss? What do a bunch of shepherds have to do with anything? What if the Wise Men squealed to Herod about the baby Jesus' location? What the heck are Mary and Joseph gonna do with a bunch of fragrant oils--why don't the Wise Men give them something practical, like, you know, a ham? As Beth says, all these questions give her plenty to think about, and the rest of the church as well. As noted, the Herdmans are not good fictional role models for your kids. Being in the Christmas pageant doesn't improve their behavior, either. Several church members don't act any better, behaving as if the Herdmans exist only to ruin everything (self-fulfilling prophecy, anyone)? In general though, this is a sweet story with a few rough edges that will give your family some fresh perspective on an age-old, treasured story and tradition.

Perfect for all Ages.....

Learn the meaning of christmas and get a good laugh in the process.