Parent reviews for The BFG

Silly classic is great read-aloud.

Adult Written bysoojin98 September 20, 2009

To the ungrateful people who run this website.

This is a very lovingly written book for practically all ages. It is a classic, a favorite for nearly every age, and yet you rating is the small empty 'Good Messages' Not an Issue." That is just unacceptable. In fact, almost all of your reviews are the same; unappreciative, empty, and totally ignoring the actual worth of the book. No comments of the writing's good things, there is simply nothing of substance, of clarity, of a proper review. I suggest you improve and make the reviews a little richer in detail.

Positive messages
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written byJojano April 1, 2011

Definitely a fun read-aloud

I read this book to my kids when they were younger (probably 5 & 7 yrs) and we all enjoyed it. They loved that I gave the giant a silly low voice when he spoke, and I spoke in a British accent when the Queen of England spoke. There was nothing questionable about this book. Highly recommend.
Parent of a 8 and 8 year old Written bylschlezinger January 18, 2011

One of Our Roald Dahl Favorites!

This is a delightful story of a little girl who befriends a gentle giant. We listened to the audio book during a recent road trip. We were all entertained, and charmed by that BFG who struggles finding the right words ("See Sofie, was I right, or was I left?)., but manages to learn the right things to do.

Positive messages
Adult Written bytackyspoons April 9, 2008
Adult Written byCosette V. July 23, 2016

Fun, imaginative, and silly! Just what kids love.

This book would be approrpiate for any age that is able to easily discern fact from fiction, whether read aloud to smaller children or read independently by older children. Basically, if they are OK reading about giants eating children, then they'd enjoy this book. It made for a great summer book for my proficiently reading 6 year old since a lot of books at this reading level are not appropriate content-wise. It definitely immerses the reader into another, imaginary world with many made up words and silly scenarios as Sophie and the BFG team up to defeat the other child-eating giants. Very fun!
Parent Written bytreat02 March 2, 2012

just fine

The BFG himself is very nice. The other giants are not. This book is well-written but may scare some. Other giants eat people and its very strange. There is something that refers to farts. Otherwise great.