All parent member reviews for The Boy from the Basement

Adult Written bylovespell172010 January 5, 2010

Perfect for Adults and teens above 16.

I overall thought the book was a little boring. I also din't like how that in the book, The mother let her husband do these things! Thats not a good message. Women should stand up for their selfs!
Parent of a 13 year old Written byErabellah April 12, 2010
I am 13 and can read and watch a lot of things, but while there is no disturbing images like guts on the floor or descriptive open heart surgury, it was kind of hard to get through just becasue the isolation that this child has just makes you so sad. This is a book I would give to kids who think that they are not treated right by their parents because they dont have the lastest iPod. The hardest thing for me to accept is that this kind of stuff happens all the time.
Adult Written bySkyrider April 9, 2008

Intense. Hard to put down.

Adult Written byphenix731 November 25, 2008
Adult Written bymegzie287 April 9, 2008

It made me want to rip the pages out

It wasn't good,... it took too long to get to the point. the ending was predictable and after a while i wanted to throw the kid back in the basement myself.
Adult Written bypaintedmouse April 9, 2008

The truth to a love starved child's life

As a girl from a store room I can identify with charlie's slow realiziation of things. I'm still afraid of the wind, of water, like outdoors are to Charlie, they are strange...I find it hard to adjust...and I'm 21! This tale is heroic in the fact that it reveals the truth to human behavior. Life is not magic. Charlie does not suddenly realize that life is good. And with the addition of his foster-care brother it points out how abused children often do not understand fear. Charlie could not comprehend why stairs are bad even though he was hurt worse on stairs. Amazing insite into the mind of a child who is learning to live.