Kid reviews for The Boy from the Basement

Gripping tale handles abuse with a delicate hand.

Teen, 14 years old Written byshaeshaelovesdogs May 1, 2011

Spread the word about this book! Its so interesting! Kids at least over 10!

I love this book! It's a great book to learn about how some kids actually have to live. It is a very intelligent novel and it is great for all kids around the world to get into and participate in. I think this book was great! My class got to choose a novel for our essay, and once i read the back of this book, i was convinced! I never usually read because to be honest, i'm not really into reading, i would much rather be reading a text message truly, but when i realllly like a book, i will read.This book looked awesome and it totally was worth the read! I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who is into these kind of dark, interesting, can never put it down kind of books!

Educational Value
Teen, 13 years old Written bypaintballer.ian March 20, 2011

A tip on this book

I am 13 years old i really like this book it is about a boy who went outside even though his dad did not want him to go outside so the father locked him in the basement. His mother could not do anything about it either. Over time he lose's most of his simple education. well @ night he sneaks out of his hous to go urinate. then the door closed behind him and locked him out of the house. Then he ran to the street light. well over night someone found him on the street and they take him to the hospital then when he is all better he has to go live with Mrs. Harrigan because theauthorities found out about what his dad did. well now he has to learn all simple education and more. this is a sad but good story i say 12 and older.
Teen, 15 years old Written byVirtuoso21 February 10, 2011
This is a very interesting story on recovering, and is positive in that sense. To read this, though, one must really be mentally strong and a dedicated reader. It possesses a very ominous and dark plot that some would feel uncomfortable reading. It also seems to drag before it introduces any rising action. Good for adults and kids that are mature enough to handle it.
Teen, 17 years old Written bybooklvr67 September 20, 2009
I loved this book, but a definitely would say it is for older teens and not for tweens or young children.
Teen, 14 years old Written bycmod82 September 16, 2009

Very good book

I read it for summer reading. (I'm a freshman) and the kids in my school either loved it or hated it. I loved it.
Teen, 16 years old Written bydarrius1 September 14, 2009

My point of veiw(from a year old)

I really enjoyed this book. it was first given to me the second week of school and i'gve finished it that same week. Allthough the father in the story was very rude and IGNORANT his role was some what understandable. Thwe way he took Charlie and shook him, threw him against the wall, locked him in the basement, and thed way he abused his wife were very indescribable. Being punished for beind outside so called "for bad kids" wasn;t a good enough reason. If you were going to have a child why would you lock them up and not feed him or her. The mother wasn't very enthuisiastic either..... all of the beatens and bruises wasn't called for and she just stood there and took it. When charlie entered the hospital he was very terrified. He feared his father and the spider that always stood in the corner that has watched him since he was locked up in the basement. I thought the spider was his father but it wasn't. But when Mrs. H got there I felt a sigh of relife. This book makes me think.

Teen, 16 years old Written byKrAzIbuTtErFLieZ April 9, 2008

HOW DUMB?!

K..All I Have To Say Was This Book Is Absolutely Pointless..I Hated It..It's The Dumbest Book I've Ever Read. It Seemed Like It Was Going To Be Good At First, But It Really Has No Climax Or Whatever..It Was Just Dumb, If You Ask Me..And I Really Didnt Like It At All! Sorry To Say..I Wouldnt Reccomend It. Maybe It's Just Because I'm 14, But Personally I Thought This Book Was Stupid. -Much Love, Kids..Dont Read This Book..COMPLETE AND TOTAL WASTE OF TIME!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written bygoodiedevil April 9, 2008

I loved it

THis book is just what i am looking for it is serious and heart worming and i just love it and when i have kids i will use it to teach them a good life lesson about how not everybody in this world is good and somimes people get hurt because of bad people!!!
Teen, 17 years old Written byNameless531 April 9, 2008