Parent reviews for The Cardboard Kingdom, Book 1

The Cardboard Kingdom, Book 1 Poster Image

Celebration of Diversity

What a fantastic read that celebrates diversity and acceptance. Yeah, you'll probably have to have a conversation about Jack's character but that is a part of being a parent. The author did not have an "agenda" as others have mentioned. There are children in the world that struggle with expressing their true identity. What a great message to teach your children to accept others for who they are no matter how they dress or what look like even if you personally do not agree with how they express themselves.

1 person found this helpful.

Fantastic and Imaginative

This book encourages kids to use their imaginations, work together and listen and talk to each other and their parents. In my opinion, it is appropriate for an age younger than 9. I'd say 6 or 7. The book challenges gender roles and "hints" at a boy being different (interpreted gay or trans). There is one story where the parents are fighting and the reader guesses, are getting divorced. There is a bully. And there are a few words here and there. Honestly, these are concepts kids much younger than 9 are already dealing with and trying to understand. This book deals with all of them gently and positively. Every story is wrapped up in the end and the kids come out smarter, stronger and more compassionate. Most of the movies kids are allowed to watch at young ages introduce much more complicated and damaging content and violence than anything in this book. Let your kids read it, read it with them and what they will remember most is the creative fantasy world created by these awesome characters.

1 person found this helpful.

Okay

I am not really a fan of graphic novels, but my 8 year old daughter is. She was confused about Jack's character. Jack is a boy but dresses as an empress. Near the end of the book Jack appears upset and his mom asks if he is okay. The conversation appears that she is aware of the fact that her son possibly gay and likes to dress and play as a girl super hero, although neither character states his orientation, but it is implied on 2 pages of the story. My daughter specifically asked me about this part of the story and was confused. I was not aware of this content in this series of graphic novels. Not sure if this is the route the author chose to take or not, but it in fact was confusing to my child.