Kid reviews for The Cardboard Kingdom, Book 1

The Cardboard Kingdom, Book 1 Poster Image

Absolutely Stunning.

Let's get started by the fact that this is an amazing story. But there's more. Obviously, you may know that Jack's character is somebody who may identify as a transgender or gay kid, and are worried about having that conversation with your child. But I feel like around the ages 8 or 9 or around that age is when you should bring that up to your child. It's not like it's going to harm them, and them knowing those kinds of things in advance are just going to help them down the road. But I'm getting ahead of myself. The book has excellent messages and role models on standing out, being who you want to be- gender regardless, bullying, creativity, passionately loving something, and the imaginative joys that happen in the span of a Summer. I think it's something every kid should have on their bookshelves, parents!

1 person found this helpful.

I just finished and I'm not afraid to say I'm obsessed.

Ok to start off: Homophobic and Transphobic people in the adult section, Stop it. Because of you, parents won't let their kids read this AMAZAING book >:(. I loved this book, I have seen a gay character in a graphic novel before (Go read drama!Also an amazaing book!) but I have never not once seen a trans character and boy do I love this representation! If they want to be a girl, Let them. If he has a boy crush, don't punish him for it! I plan to read the sequeal and I'm excited to see if she get's to officially transition to be HER true self. Anyways, For those of you who plan to read, Happy reading! Werdo (P.S and for the homophobe and transphobes I hope you have a terrible day :)

Emotional book for older kids.

The book is distributed to young kids, yes, but to fully understand a kid probably would have to be older. So first, let’s go over language. There is little to no cursing in the book over the 19 or so chapters, but the cursing that is there is mild. So, there are 3 mild expletives: 1 h*ll, 2 cr*p. Also, there is a cut off instance of sh*t. The way it is written only shows half of the swear said by a drunk parent. “I don’t give a sh-“ (all of the language is used in heated arguments by kids and adults) Remember the book always has a lesson at the end of the chapter, and could be very emotional and sad. One chapter is about a young kid with 2 divorcing parents . They argue, and the drunken father smashes plates and briefly swears once in a cut off way. Another chapter is about an outcast child that is bullied and has no friends, and another is about a kid who is pointed out to be trans. The most emotional chapter, though, is about a gay child who likes another person he is playing princess and the pea with. (Each of these chapters end happily, though) The violence is not strong, but there is lots of fantasy stuff, though. Only yellow effects are shown in punches. The more serious real life stuff varies from a girl throwing up, arguing, bloody noses and a drunk per net breaking a plate. The most gory picture in the story shows 2 dismembered arms on a table with blood pooling around them and blood dripping. Mostly, a ten yr old would understand, and this book has a very good message..

This book is truly a blessing

The cast is diverse and interesting to see interact. Every character is unique and has their own issues to the point that almost anybody can find a character they understand and relate to. The story is simple, charming, and timeless. The whole cast is fun and lively from the mischievous beast, Vijay to the stern alchemist, Alice.

A really good book

I think this book contains a lot of incredible stories for these characters. I would say that The Cardboard Kingdom supports creativity and imagination. A good book to read for fun.