Kid reviews for The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things

Funny overweight girl goes through some heavy stuff.

Teen, 14 years old Written byKayKayD September 14, 2009

Fat Girls Unite

Virginia is a lot like me. We're both fat, sexually frustrated, face hardship socially, and don't get along well with our families. Big difference; Virginia is rich. I'm not. Otherwise, this book really helped me overcome my weight problem. It made me believe that even fat girls can be beautiful, fun, and loved by others. Though this hasn't neccessarily happened to me yet, I'm still hoping.

Teen, 13 years old Written bykrazypanda June 26, 2009
funny but a bit inappropriate

Teen, 14 years old Written bypiano_gurl93 April 9, 2008
Teen, 16 years old Written bybieber_fever55 July 24, 2010

READ IT. NOW!

I love this book so much! Although it does have some cursing, teens are used to cursing. And the sexual refrences are because of her low self esteem, which she ends up breaking out of by the end of the book. Great message for teen girls. Some parts had me crying, because this book is SO relatable.

Teen, 15 years old Written bystephers23 August 15, 2009

Ask parents first

this is a really funny and believable book, but there is a bit of language and other stuff. only one tiny scene with alcohol though! It's got a good message, and Virginia rebels by getting her eyebrow pierced and dying her hair because she needs to be independent of her parents. P.S. whoever said there was a "Fat Teen Code of Writing"? THAT'S just MEAN!!!!! there isn't you prejudiced person!! (this is a comment on the Common Sense review, by the way)
Teen, 14 years old Written byrayannebabez August 4, 2012

Awesome.

I;m overweight like Virginia and I found this story very inspiring and relevant. I think that teenage girl will find this a read to connect with:)

Teen, 15 years old Written byiLuvbingoNight April 9, 2008

whoa~pretty darn good

This book is a very mature book hitting some very serious topics, and i think that the arthor did a very good job targeting them. I rather much enjoyed this book. I would suggest this book to anyone.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybootergirl123 April 9, 2008

i loved this book

the earth my butt and other big round things was such a great book! i really enjoyed it all though there was things in there like sex and language but people should, if they wanted to read it, they should be mature enough and look over it.
Teen, 16 years old Written bydncrgirl627 April 9, 2008

LOVE!

I loved this book. It's great and makes you relize you don't have to be a size 0 to be loved. Also good for those size 0's to get good insight on how those other girls feel. a must-read for any teen or pre-teen girl.
Teen, 13 years old Written bydinosaur_rawr November 5, 2012

great!!

It is a great book I love it, but it does have some language to it and so other thing s.... but other then that it is a very good book. It tells teen what girls can go through in life and how stressful it is

Kid, 11 years old April 5, 2011
Teen, 14 years old Written bysara Rains October 27, 2010
i like it because it because i can relate to it

Kid, 11 years old May 3, 2010

good for tweens

Teen, 13 years old Written bymellekk August 24, 2009

Matureity level is something to consider

This book was great. i think the book could be read by 11+ only if they are mature enough to read it i read it at that age and thought the book was great

Teen, 13 years old Written bymeg2013 April 9, 2008

A really good book

You ppl out there who cry easily,keep the book closed!!
Teen, 15 years old Written byShelbyBubbles April 9, 2008

wow. This was awful.

This book was a horrible example of what to do in a world of peer pressure that makes you feel like you're useless. Virginia's mom was awful, her dad wasn't so hot either, her sister gave her advice that made my eyes burn, and she said things about herself that made me want to cry. Anyone that goes through these things: the things with her brother, her mom putting her down, cutting, etc, should not have to learn about self-esteem by herself. The issues in the book just magically disolved by themselves for a happy ending, but that's not how real life is, and no one should be able to think so.
Teen, 13 years old Written byndazcia February 5, 2018

Good Book, but not as good as the Alice series

This book is very moving and inspirational to young girls. I definitely recommend this book but not as good as The Alice Series by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor.

Teen, 13 years old Written bychickenpotpie123 January 3, 2019

Great book for kids age 12 and above

This book gives out positive messages about low self-esteem, body disorders, being overweight. This book contains some bad language like "f****" and has some sexual content. It's a great book, 100% recommend and also read the sequel which I would give the same rating to. All teens should have this book as it has important life lessons

Teen, 13 years old Written byHaileyM11223 February 27, 2018
I have to do a project on why this book was challenged or banned some places, and I really dont understand why it was banned.